Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a professional attorney? Is there a non-professional attorney? LOL just messing with ya. Yes you are correct I am an attorney and have a successful law firm. So yes you are correct that when making a purchase money is not the only thing that I look at when making the purchase. But that does not mean I am foolish with my money either. If I was I would be jumping into a $2,000+ machine for my first one. But my time is also very limited. I work 60-70 hours per week and also have a 5 year old son. So when I do have time for a hobby, I want to make sure I am getting the max out of my time.

When I make purchases, I research as best as I can to make sure I know as much about the item and how it compares to other similar items. Here I googled, "top metal detectors" and then took all those that were listed (almost everyone people mentioned were listed there) and then I researched those. Then I googled "AT Pro vs XYZ" (this was when I was looking at the Pro) and there were often several comparison reviews out there.

Now keep in mind, this post was not titled, "What detector should I get?" it is titled "Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?" So while I welcome the debate and discussion of different machines because it makes me more informed overall and may help out someone that IS looking for a suggestion of a new detector, that I not my goal. I am looking for someone that might have knowledge on a major flaw or oversight on the AT Max. That I have not heard here. By any far I have heard the same thing I have read for a couple of months on other sites and other reviews.

So why get an AT Max for my first detector? I have mentioned some reason above. First and foremost from all accounts it is a good and capable machine. Second I know that I will be able to grow with it and not say 12 months from now, man I wish I had gotten the AT Max. Finally, I have a VERY stressful job and I think that it will be a good hobby that will allow me to get away and just chill. I can walk as fast as I want or as slow as I want. When we take the RV out and about I can take the detector along and see what I find. When I was in the Army and driving across the country I would often drive past an old abandoned house and think, man I would love to metal detect there; so it is a bug I've had for a long, long time. I am a history buff, majored in it in college, and I would be as happy digging a square nail as a silver coin, because of the history. I am the WORST person to take to a museum because I want to touch everything, here I will get to touch the history. So I am not worried about losing the interest in a few seasons.

Hope that help explain my thought process.

Thanks clears it up for me and you will likely enjoy the Max. It does not appear to be fatally flawed at all. And please do not become an unprofessional attorney. Lol. I know you knew what I meant. (As a professional, specifically an attorney, you likely have the means blah, blah, blah...). This hobby is a great stress reliever so you will enjoy it from that aspect, definitely my primary reason to detect plus the exercise and it gets me outdoors. Hope you can get out there as soon as possible. It’s a great time.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks clears it up for me and you will likely enjoy the Max. It does not appear to be fatally flawed at all. And please do not become an unprofessional attorney. Lol. I know you knew what I meant. (As a professional, specifically an attorney, you likely have the means blah, blah, blah...). This hobby is a great stress reliever so you will enjoy it from that aspect, definitely my primary reason to detect plus the exercise and it gets me outdoors. Hope you can get out there as soon as possible. It’s a great time.

Yes, the exercise is the other aspect of why I am getting into the hobby. I sit on my butt all day long and this will give me a reason and purpose to walk. I have bad knees from the Army so running is not fun so this should help. Can't wait to just do my back yard :D

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ineptness at golf was definitely not lowering my stress factor. Lol.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Simple answer. NO!
Just buy it and if you decide you don't like it, the resale value on that machine will be very high. If you don't believe me, PM me the second you decide to sell it!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you didn't expect all of this when you asked a simple question, now there's pee everywhere :laughing7:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked the wife to get me an AT Max and it looks like it is going to happen, but the question is: Is there any reason NOT to get an AT Max? I've read everything I can find on Google and yet to find anything that said anything bad about it. I am skeptical about reviews like those because you never know if they may have been planted or not. Anyone here have any negatives? Thanks!
If you want to upgrade to the AT Max depends on what you have now. If you are using the AT Pro now I would say keep it. But if you are looking for a super detector look into the White's V3i.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to upgrade to the AT Max depends on what you have now. If you are using the AT Pro now I would say keep it. But if you are looking for a super detector look into the White's V3i.

I guess I can understand why you wouldn't bother reading this entire ginormous thread, but if you are going to comment, then it helps if you make the attempt.

Let me summarize the OP's situation for you and future posters:

(1) It is his first detector, he is a newbie to the hobby.

(2) He has made up his mind re: the Max based on exhaustive research and is only interested in hearing about AT Max fatal flaws, if any.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I tend to agree with your comments in a general sense so they may help someone else reading through this, just doesn't apply to the OP whom you quoted directly.

HTH HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just happy I could be such a viewed and commented on thread to the website with one of my first posts :D

Heres to many more years here :occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just happy I could be such a viewed and commented on thread to the website with one of my first posts :D

Heres to many more years here :occasion14:

You got that right! I was thinking of starting a thread, "Any reason I SHOULD get the AT Max" and see what happens. Lol.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first post will be: The Equinox is not yet released, unproven in the field and even more complicated for a beginner. :)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My option, Don't know, ATmax that I never used yet, But I have ATpro and found tons of good stuff. I have found dime size targets pretty deep, around 10 inches.. Now for Minelab detectors, I had a Safari, A real good beach detector, But not very good finding gold targets. I think the equinox is just another Safari... Just my opinion..
Tentis, I'm not so sure about the EQ being another Safari. I use both the AT Pro and the Safari, both are rather good. Of course we all know that the Safari is a Full Band machine (28 Freq's I believe) and I do well with it, more so with a small coil, but with the EQ I kind of like having the option of switching to a single Freq., say 5Khz for copper silver brass, the 10 & 15 by them selves? most likely not, switching to 20?, if wanting to look for gold items on fresh water beaches (along with pull tabs & nickel's of course), just the 40Khz, if I should find myself in a desert somewhere prospecting, but more then likely would run all five together, having that option the Safari does not provide. In addition to if I should go into a creek or something, knowing that I have so enjoyed slips, trips and falls, I would not fry the detector. I agree with others though, I'll wait on the EQ until other fella's who have pre-ordered, (bless there hearts) run it through their paces, and let us know what THEY think about it. I'll keep my AT and Safari, but remain interested about the EQ 800, (along with a small coil). Time will tell. By now I believe we all have good detectors that we like, understand and are happy with, we are just always curious about something new that seems different from the norm

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL I know right. Might be people here with pitchforks.

Yeah mostly the AT Slow users trying to convince everyone how great their latest and greatest Slow is.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddjob, you stung some folks with that one. I'm sticking with my Deus and Tesoros.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can understand why you wouldn't bother reading this entire ginormous thread, but if you are going to comment, then it helps if you make the attempt.

Let me summarize the OP's situation for you and future posters:

(1) It is his first detector, he is a newbie to the hobby.

(2) He has made up his mind re: the Max based on exhaustive research and is only interested in hearing about AT Max fatal flaws, if any.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I tend to agree with your comments in a general sense so they may help someone else reading through this, just doesn't apply to the OP whom you quoted directly.

HTH HH
So whats your point?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Starting to get a little off topic lol.. Long live the multi-freq machines! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions