Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried it and didn't find anything the key is to find sand that was packaged in a gold bearing area:thumbsup:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Yes, I have found some 100 mesh in sand meant for playgrounds. Sorry no pics of the gold, but in 2 small pans I had about 3-4 100 mesh, I didnt pan more because I use the sand for my turtles habitat. I do plan on buying some of the all purpose sand and trying that eventually.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmm, might be fun to do this.
I live in an area that might do well, Citrus Heights (Sacramento.)

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Qmay we get a pic of the turtle ?
UOTE=Astrobouncer;3116309]Yes, I have found some 100 mesh in sand meant for playgrounds. Sorry no pics of the gold, but in 2 small pans I had about 3-4 100 mesh, I didnt pan more because I use the sand for my turtles habitat. I do plan on buying some of the all purpose sand and trying that eventually.

[/QUOTE]

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do any of you think its worth it to try a bag from NJ

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right! If the gravel company happens to be digging into a glacial moraine with gold in it, you win! (In NJ it is pretty much a given the gravel pit would be at the site of a glacial gravel deposit)

One tip, washed sand and unwashed sand from the same site can give different results so try both - unwashed is generally available in those tubes of sand sold as weights for the bed of a pickup truck.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through about 4 tubes of sand bought here in Ohio and got zilch. Then again, Ohio is not known for being a big gold state. It was fun though. Being a newbie I used it as an exercise to get better at panning. I took some very small pieces of lead and made sure I recovered all of them each time. I also threw a couple of small gold flakes into the mix and made sure I recovered those as well.

The tube sand was very coarse and required me to classify it down much like you'd have to do out in the wild. It contained pebbles as big as half an inch in diameter.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tp69- good points and good attitude too!

At the least it's great practice and strong panning skills will pay off "forever" in this pursuit.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is panning one of those skills once you have down youll never forget

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty much, yes. At one point I left this hobby for about a decade (lived in Europe, etc) and when I came back to it (yay!!) panning was like riding a bike!

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought three different bags, about 160 lbs total, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be good up where you are...good luck!

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My panning spot on Lynx creek is closer than Home Depot, and I know there is lots of gold in Lynx creek, so I haven't bothered to try it. But I have heard of it being done before with fairly decent results...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread