Anyone ever find anything inside a magicians coin(half dollar)?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever find anything inside of one? Ive only found 3 myself, but always hope something is inside...

Just curious if anyone ever left a "message inside a bottle" or something, someone I showed one too, said they used to be called spy coins, you could hide microfilm or whatever inside...

I was thinking too, of putting one into circulation with a message on paper or something haha, see how long it takes to reply back...

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
well, infowarrier, there are some stories that make their way 'round the block' so to speak. I heard of a guy, who once found a Magician's Balboa, and there was a GPS tracker inside it but he didn't know. a week later, he returns home from work, and finds his house had been broken into, and all his Ag stolen, and there was a note; IF YOU COIN-ROLL HUNT EVER AGAIN, WE WILL BE BACK. I don't know the real end of the story, but some say, he gave up C/H/R'n for his entire life, and is glad to be alive, the other version is a bit to gruesome to tell on tnet.

If I find a magician's coin, I'll likely keep it, and if I find another (AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT BALBOA'S!), I'll send a note out.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, infowarrier, there are some stories that make their way 'round the block' so to speak. I heard of a guy, who once found a Magician's Balboa, and there was a GPS tracker inside it but he didn't know. a week later, he returns home from work, and finds his house had been broken into, and all his Ag stolen, and there was a note; IF YOU COIN-ROLL HUNT EVER AGAIN, WE WILL BE BACK. I don't know the real end of the story, but some say, he gave up C/H/R'n for his entire life, and is glad to be alive, the other version is a bit to gruesome to tell on tnet.

If I find a magician's coin, I'll likely keep it, and if I find another (AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT BALBOA'S!), I'll send a note out.

Haha, fascinating story, fiddy. This whole notion of an rfid inside a magician's coin would never even cross my mind, what a brilliant thief if that story did pan out to be true. I would imagine a story like that would make the news; local at minimum.

Info, I like the message in a bottle idea... Perhaps a quote from the respected Dr. Paul on sound money? The magician's coin seems like a great means of delivering the message of liberty! :-)

OP
OP
Infowarrior

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better ways to do that, than to get 1 person the message :)

50, hah... That could def be possible though...

Maybe ill make sure to open all the magician coins before I get home... lol

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a bunch of them ( just found another one, posted on my thread) never found anything in them, I have heard the spy story before though too, one of the tellers at one of my banks said her father told her they use to be used for spy coins, I don't see much fitting in any of the ones I have though. HH, Maverick.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.. 50, hah... That could def be possible though...

Actually, it would not be possible to track a magician half by putting a GPS receiver in it. The magician half is a perfect Faraday cage - no radio frequency can get into or out of it (Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It is a perfect Faraday cage because the mesh size is 0.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inside one before was an actual mexican 20 peso copper coin, tight fit with some edge shaved off, but it was a real coin, not just the fake mexican eagle inside of it.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, it would not be possible to track a magician half by putting a GPS receiver in it. The magician half is a perfect Faraday cage - no radio frequency can get into or out of it (Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It is a perfect Faraday cage because the mesh size is 0.

Incorrect, The receiver/transmitter are hooked up to the 'shell' directly, and it acts as an antenna.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incorrect, The receiver/transmitter are hooked up to the 'shell' directly, and it acts as an antenna.
Incorrect. The "shell" cannot be an antenna. Not even a poorly performing antenna. An antenna must contain at least one "pole" of the fundamental frequency.

The supposed urban legend is that the fake coin is both a GPS receiver and a transmitter of some sort (determines global position via the GPS receiver and transmits that position to home base (or homie base as the case may be)).

Ignore the transmitter aspect for now because there is not enough information to analyze the needed "pole" of the transmit frequency.

As to the GPS receiver, the satellite frequency bands range from 1100MHz to 1500MHz. A circular plane or short cylinder (the 2D and 3D shapes of a coin) would have to have a diameter less than 4mm to be an antenna. The half dollar is over 30mm in diameter and appears as a continuous plane on all surfaces to the frequencies in question.

Now, if the coin had micro slots arranged in concentric circles, it could be a very effective choke ring antenna which is one of the best omnidirectional antennas there are at 1.5GHZ. The slots could be burned via laser and made so small as to not be detected by the naked eye. Common thugs would need to be pretty motivated to go to so much trouble.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i just went crosseyed!!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Incorrect. The "shell" cannot be an antenna. Not even a poorly performing antenna. An antenna must contain at least one "pole" of the fundamental frequency.

The supposed urban legend is that the fake coin is both a GPS receiver and a transmitter of some sort (determines global position via the GPS receiver and transmits that position to home base (or homie base as the case may be)).

Ignore the transmitter aspect for now because there is not enough information to analyze the needed "pole" of the transmit frequency.

As to the GPS receiver, the satellite frequency bands range from 1100MHz to 1500MHz. A circular plane or short cylinder (the 2D and 3D shapes of a coin) would have to have a diameter less than 4mm to be an antenna. The half dollar is over 30mm in diameter and appears as a continuous plane on all surfaces to the frequencies in question.

Now, if the coin had micro slots arranged in concentric circles, it could be a very effective choke ring antenna which is one of the best omnidirectional antennas there are at 1.5GHZ. The slots could be burned via laser and made so small as to not be detected by the naked eye. Common thugs would need to be pretty motivated to go to so much trouble.

THESE ARE NOT COMMON THUGS, these are professional, well organized, south-American cut-throats, opportunizing on C/H/R'ing to help fund their even worse, thuggish, criminal activity. They would be more than happy to go to all the effort of doing these things, IF not go even further. There have even been stories (NEVER made it to the news), of federal reserve half-dollar storehouses being completely ransacked, cleared empty, and I don't think this warrants them as 'common thugs'.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haha, if a GPS receiver with a transmission device and power source that small exists (and capable of getting around the Faraday cage issues LooseChange brought up), it's in use by elite government intel organizations, not petty criminals with a grudge against this hobby. If you were actually thinking of RFID technology, the criminal would have to have to be at such a close range (pretty much inside the bank) that it would require constant monitoring; again the realm of profession spies, not angry tellers.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
THESE ARE NOT COMMON THUGS, these are professional, well organized, south-American cut-throats, opportunizing on C/H/R'ing to help fund their even worse, thuggish, criminal activity. They would be more than happy to go to all the effort of doing these things, IF not go even further. There have even been stories (NEVER made it to the news), of federal reserve half-dollar storehouses being completely ransacked, cleared empty, and I don't think this warrants them as 'common thugs'.

How come I have so many Balboas and nothing happened yet. I think Panamanians would be offended by you.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If fhey were anything more than common thugs they wouldn't bother raiding somebodies house with a few thousand dollars in it. Its a waste of time.

Sagitarrius98 that article is funny. Their first problem is they were army guys (lowest accepted intelligence levels of any US military branch =P ) Secondly nobody would care about their secret security clearances, they hand those out like candy in most branches, have to go much higher than that to get any info worth a piss. Still a very funny story though to see how quick stuff gets out of hand in our government.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened one once & a genie came out. She granted me three wishes...

1. Spend all I want & never pay it back
2. Unlimited power
3. Ability to persuade people to believe anything I say

She turned me into Barack Obama

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened one once & a genie came out. She granted me three wishes...

1. Spend all I want & never pay it back
2. Unlimited power
3. Ability to persuade people to believe anything I say

She turned me into Barack Obama

If 3 were true he would have found a better looking wife /shiver

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sagitarrius98 that article is funny. Their first problem is they were army guys (lowest accepted intelligence levels of any US military branch =P ) Secondly nobody would care about their secret security clearances, they hand those out like candy in most branches, have to go much higher than that to get any info worth a piss. Still a very funny story though to see how quick stuff gets out of hand in our government.

We're clearly smarter than the Navy and USMC, and the Chair Force isn't actually part of the military, so actually that would leave us at number one ;)

You are right about secret clearances, though, and the article is funny. Silly contractors.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, if a GPS receiver with a transmission device and power source that small exists (and capable of getting around the Faraday cage issues LooseChange brought up), it's in use by elite government intel organizations, not petty criminals with a grudge against this hobby. If you were actually thinking of RFID technology, the criminal would have to have to be at such a close range (pretty much inside the bank) that it would require constant monitoring; again the realm of profession spies, not angry tellers.

You mean the government?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread