Anyone have an idea what this means?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The snow has melted, the ground is thawing, I've had cabin fever hard, so I took the day to get out and explore. What a beautiful day, got into the 50's and the sun was out in full force. :icon_sunny: Micki and I hit the yard to spend some quality time and get back into the "swing" of things. We had a ball. Found a couple of neat trinkets, 2 and 3/4 cents the oldest a 1962. So you know I have gotten better with discriminating out the nails, the vibra probe found them in the same hole as the other "junk" (as the Hubby says :D)

Leaving Micki at home for a bit, I head out to where I found an old road for a meat packing co., from the mid 1800's. I finally find what was surely a road at one time. Looking for any signs of THE spot, I catch something fluttering in the breeze, it looks like a large feather. Instead of floating to the ground it just swings there. ??? Well I have to take a closer look, the feather is tied by string to the limb of a large pine tree along with the leg of what I am assuming was the Hawk. :o Now my imagination is running wild, but curiousity has me too. Leave? Or take just a minute to look around? I swing around part of the tree and feel like I'm being watched. (I'm sure that feeling was too may horor novels :D) OK I'm outta here!

Does anyone have a clue to the meaning or why someone would do this. I would really feel better knowing something of the meaning, if anyone would know......... it's you folks. Thank for the help!

Attachments

• first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,689
  • first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,687
  • first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,666
  • first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,672
  • first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,652
  • first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,628
  • first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,597
Upvote 0

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Talking about gut feelings: My gut kept me from getting bit, or at least, grabbing a copperhead Saturday. I was reaching down to move the last of an old brush pile. Something made me pause and think "snake" I held still for a split second and looked around the handfull of twigs I was about to grab and sure enough there he was. To make it even weirder, my 4 year old son was playing in that same area last fall next to a retaining wall and without thinking I rushed over to check on him. I looked down to see him going after a small toad. There was about a 10" copperhead going after the same toad. They were about 10 inches from each other. I got that same 6th sense feeling afterward and dismissed it figuring that I'm always either checking on him or alert to snakes. I do now think there is more to it than that. I wish I could develop that sense to help me make some $

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
The only traps that can be used in your state are cage or box traps. The feather is used to attract bobcat, they are very curious about anything the moves in the wind like a feather or even a ribbon. When they get close a lure or bait are used to get them into the cage trap. The feather I am sure is a turkey feather. I am a trapper with a bit of experence. I have enjoyed reading this thread imagination is a wonderous thing without it we would never got beyond the stone age.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wind feather -- important for bow hunting and gun hunting to see which way the winds blowing

S

Scots Gaelic

Usually if that is done (and if it is a predator), the carcase is left so that others (of the same species stay away.

Think happy thoughts, at least it wasn't (like in the "good old days"), a human carcase or head, "meaning stay out". (like Pirates of the Carabean - pirates hanging right outside of the harbor). Lol :hello2:

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Glad you could get out.. Sounds like you've had a great time with the adventure,, treasure , or not...
Always go with your gut,,, you never know. I hunt a few areas that simply give me the creeps, when I'm by myself anyway ;D, and the feeling of dread has run me off a few times. I'm not sure if something was trying to tell me something or not, but I am still here to talk about it, so it must have been the right decision to leave when i did... ::)
Good luck, and be careful out there...

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Hey Charlie we raised our own Pork and Beef for a couple of years, it is expensive, but well worth the effort when it comes to quality and taste. We would drop them off on the "hoof", couldn't do the deed. :wink:

Bridge thank for the idea, I'm all over that walking stick you saw, see it is all about imagination. Thanks!

Bronco, good instincts, especially where your son is concerned, always trust the gut. I was working in the yard one day and got the "feeling", there was a coyote standing about 30 feet behind me, just watching. I spotted him and he just slowly walked away. Spent the rest of the day looking over my shoulder.

Howard, I know the leg traps are illegal, but what if one got forgoten? Or someone doesn't care they are illegal. Just something to keep in the back of your mind, I wonder if they would ring if you have iron discriminated out?

So I am happy to be able to get out, rain coming for the weekend, but it may clear Sunday. Thanks for all the info folks. Always trust your gut, and have fun!

dennisdunigan

Apr 8, 2007
Canon City, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
I Love this site!!
I sat here and read every post. Who would have thought a feather in a tree would be so entertaining ;D
I have used feathers for wind direction many times. I have also put scent on them to attract game. They distribute scent very well. ;D
Sorry you got spooked, but it made for some good reading. Good Luck on your hunts!!! :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Your Welcome, they will be fine sticks to hike with, send me or post a pic of one you finish. Happy Hunts to you and your family

F

Felinepeachy

Just to make it clear to everyone!! Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and ALL other native North American birds of prey are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to include a prohibition against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. "It shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter, barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part, of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.” This is a treaty signed by the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Penalties for violations of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act can go up to $15,000 and 6 months imprisonment for common violations.

P.S. Get a feel for fur: Slam your fingers in a car door

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well here is wat you need to do, get your self a 454 or a 44 mag and arm your self... LOL LOL

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Now I think it's alien conspiracy and a government cover-up.
I'm almost sure of it.
The pictures viewed backwards have an embedded audio track in code.
HH
rmptr

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
TreasureFiend said:
well here is wat you need to do, get your self a 454 or a 44 mag and arm your self... LOL LOL

What did the poor feather do? :tongue3:

This has been fun, there has been some great responses, thanks for laughing with me. :D

One more thing.....Dad's? How come you let me do this? :D

wyoming

Jun 8, 2007
wyoming
Prayers are carried by the four winds- like the word of god is carried by the wind. Best to just leave alone.
wyoming

S

Scots Gaelic

dennisdunigan said:
I Love this site!!
I sat here and read every post. Who would have thought a feather in a tree would be so entertaining ;D
I have used feathers for wind direction many times. I have also put scent on them to attract game. They distribute scent very well. ;D
Sorry you got spooked, but it made for some good reading. Good Luck on your hunts!!! :thumbsup:

A true born multi - hobbiest! Lol I.U.

S

Scots Gaelic

Felinepeachy said:
Just to make it clear to everyone!! Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and ALL other native North American birds of prey are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to include a prohibition against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. "It shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter, barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part, of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.” This is a treaty signed by the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Penalties for violations of the Migratory Bird Treaty ACT can go up to $15,000 and 6 months imprisonment for common violations.

P.S. Get a feel for fur: Slam your fingers in a car door

Hmmm, can we say....... (never mind). Not everyone in the world abides by the laws.

If one is on a horse, it is just a farther fall to the ground!

This member was just stating their concern, not what the law was for a third party who placed the "spooky item" there, sympathy is a word, meaning " hey I understand, you did a good thing by going with your feelings".

Sorry if this offends you, BUT get over it!, and be a supportive member.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread