Anyone have an idea what this means?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The snow has melted, the ground is thawing, I've had cabin fever hard, so I took the day to get out and explore. What a beautiful day, got into the 50's and the sun was out in full force. :icon_sunny: Micki and I hit the yard to spend some quality time and get back into the "swing" of things. We had a ball. Found a couple of neat trinkets, 2 and 3/4 cents the oldest a 1962. So you know I have gotten better with discriminating out the nails, the vibra probe found them in the same hole as the other "junk" (as the Hubby says :D)

Leaving Micki at home for a bit, I head out to where I found an old road for a meat packing co., from the mid 1800's. I finally find what was surely a road at one time. Looking for any signs of THE spot, I catch something fluttering in the breeze, it looks like a large feather. Instead of floating to the ground it just swings there. ??? Well I have to take a closer look, the feather is tied by string to the limb of a large pine tree along with the leg of what I am assuming was the Hawk. :o Now my imagination is running wild, but curiousity has me too. Leave? Or take just a minute to look around? I swing around part of the tree and feel like I'm being watched. (I'm sure that feeling was too may horor novels :D) OK I'm outta here!

Does anyone have a clue to the meaning or why someone would do this. I would really feel better knowing something of the meaning, if anyone would know......... it's you folks. Thank for the help!

Attachments

• first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,689
  • first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,687
  • first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,666
  • first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,672
  • first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,652
  • first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,628
  • first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,597
Upvote 0

Caliche digger

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2008
South TX
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was a "botched" attempted turkey suicide.
rofl.gif

Seriously, though.. Someone might have used that method to mark a good spot for turkey hunting. He probably either saw some turkey there or saw some evidence that they WERE there.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I honestly don't think anyone was trying to be rude, just stating a fact, I was worried someone killed a hawk, that would have really made me >:(. So I am happy it's turkey, there are tons of them around here, but birds of prey are few, it's getting better, let them thrive. :)

I've only seen one Bob cat in my life, please don't trap them. :-\ I am far from against hunting But the rare critter should be able to regroup. We don't have Cougars here either? ::)

Thanks for sharing my adventure, I really learned allot. That's a treasure in it's self!

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True_Metal said:
Looks like a bone or a stick to me. Hard to tell exactly from the pics?

Yes, go check it out fully and lets see the final verdict?

This i do know for sure. Look familiar? It is a turkey wing feather from NY and the same species as the one hanging in the sacrificial tree of doom. LOL :D

This one will be cut up soon to make some pretty flies.

SN850039-1.jpg
Ah... another fly tier. That's good to know.

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
TreasureTales said:
With all the different cultures and heritages that have been coming into this country since the 1960's, I think this could have some unusual (unusual to the average native-born American) religious significance. I would definitely listen to my gut feelings, no treasure is worth having YOUR leg hung up there next to the turkey leg. Get yourself some personal protection device and take the Shorthair Pointer with you next time. Don't let this weird discovery sour you on detecting, though.
i suggest u get a side arm (somthing simple but powerfull like a 45 or a revolver)
but thats creepy it might have been witchcraft.
thanks for giving me nightmares! :'(

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
A human foot will not fit in a trap set for bobcat or coyote so stepping in one is not a worry. Also a hand in a car door is 40 times more painful then a trap, had my hands in a lot of traps and they don't hurt. Bobcats are very secretive animals and are usually out of site by the time you arrive at where they were. Just because you have only seen one dosn't mean there are only a few around.

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Juju, Bwana, Juju!" This is what the natives in the Tarzan movies would shout when they encountered such things hanging in the jungle. Within a half second they would be long scattered back to their village, leaving everything behind. That's exactly what I would have done. OK, I would go back and get my Ace 250. ;D

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Here is a thing we are forgetting or may have been touch on a little. We are animals ourselves and when we feel uncomfortable you need to get out of the area. No treasure is worth your life. You can always go back when someone to check out the sight. You also have to remember your in the woods and there are wild animals out there as well as people who hunt them and some of them use traps. I should know because I use to trap and hunt when I was younger. Being a successful treasure hunter also means keeping a level head on your shoulders. I am not trying to preach but would hate to see someone get hurt. Take care and have a safe hunt.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread