OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Filled my pockets many times thats for sure. I've got another pile about the same size as that one. I should put them to some sort of use, as mulch or something. Lot of good scrapers and maybe even a few brokes in there. I might go through them and pick out some good scrapers someday. I'd have to get pretty bored though. :icon_scratch:

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
We have a lot of jasper and ryolite with minimal flint but still i have piles. Every once in a while i go through it and take out brokes and scrapers and utilized flakes and the rest are returned to nature. All the peices I keep go in old plastic tackle boxes. Do not use metal ones.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a pile of flint. They look great washed and put in nice jars. Great conversation pieces. :thumbsup:

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have a pile about that size. My 3 yr. old daughter helps me go through it once in awile. We use an old wash pan, about 20 inches across and 6 inches deep, sort the "clues" as she calls them, and twice we have found artifacts that I didn't recognize the first time. One was a point made from a single flake, one of my favs now, the other was a palm scraper.

F

Felinepeachy

I put mine in pretty glass bowls. I have a hard time passing it by :tongue3:

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
mad.co.walker said:
it would probably cost a fortune to ship but ebayers would love it.

Seriously? I've got about two 5-gallon buckets of it. Blade cores, broken points, large flakes, mostly all of the really colorful novaculite stuff. Probably tons of flake knives and stuff in it.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Yeah I've got some piles, and boxes, and containers full. Matter of fact I just dumped three of them out on a table for another super frustrating game of matchthetiptothebase, a game I very rarely ever win. An exercise in futility is a better name for it but I'm going to try my luck and get er done.

:: plays Mission Impossible theme song ::

Attachments

• phpgjz3N4PM.jpg
    phpgjz3N4PM.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 259
  • phpWzNeITPM.jpg
    phpWzNeITPM.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 284

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all broken tips and bases and occasionally do like Ryan and try to match some of them together and so far I have never been successful. I also used to bring home just pieces of flint, but I quit doing that years ago. I must have had around 20 or so boxes of flint that I had to go through to see if there was anything in them and I found a bunch of nice Scrapers, Uniface Tools, and even a few decent Points that had thrown in by accident. I then took the rest and dumped them in a ditch line near the RR tracks close to a spot I hunt with the exception of one box full of the best grades of flint I had that I gave to a buddy so he could make his own Gunflints for his Musket that he shoots. I'm sure hundreds of years from now someone will find those piles and swear there was a knapping site there. lol

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
its a 7 on the mohs scale. I cook it though for most knappers unless they want to cook it theirselves. We do find the raw coral paleos here but our archaic coral points are some of the finest. heres a raw/cooked comparison of a few pieces

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04857.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
mad.co.walker said:

Those flat rate boxes are a pretty good deal for shipping heavy stuff. I sent 36.2 pounds of Mayan celts to a dealer and paid under $15 shipping.

The boxes are free at the post office, pack a couple full and put them on eBay for something plus $15 shipping.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
centfladigger said:
its a 7 on the mohs scale. I cook it though for most knappers unless they want to cook it theirselves. We do find the raw coral paleos here but our archaic coral points are some of the finest. heres a raw/cooked comparison of a few pieces

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04857.jpg

Thanks for the description and nice pics, that's some pretty stuff man.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I toss my scrapers and flint chips into the flower garden out front. My daughters friends like to look at them and will sometimes help themselves to a few pieces :D

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
scotto said:
mad.co.walker said:

Seriously? I've got about two 5-gallon buckets of it. Blade cores, broken points, large flakes, mostly all of the really colorful novaculite stuff. Probably tons of flake knives and stuff in it.
yep i have seen numerous people buy that stuff. for a flat rate box for $15 you could sell it all im sure. maybe worth a try :dontknow:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the flate rate boxes all the time for shipping. The one I use most is the square one and you can ship up to 70 lbs for $10.70. You can't beat that.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope to find some way of using my debitage, I just haven't thought of anything cool to use or make with it other than maybe do some collages, but I could see me making something pretty tacky in the way of collages.. Ryan I get pretty frustrated when I try that particular exercise in futility. Like you and steve I've never got that lucky either. Found a cache of blades once, only pulled out 3 full teardrops from the spot but there were close to 300 bottoms and tips, I kept saving them as I dug this site, putting them in shoebox and pretty much finished the site up before I thought hey I should see if I have any matches to them. I was pretty excited because well it was a cache, there had to be a match in there considering how many brokes there was. Well no such luck. Heres a picture of part that cache, they were all adena leaf blades and some square based blades with nice flaking.

fladigger thats a sweet pile of coral there, I might be interested in some of that . What kind of prices and wts do you sell in 1 shipping?

I still bring home every flake I find. That way I'm not seeing that pc on my next hunt and I don't have to flip it again etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread