OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sidenote here .... I call that a cache whether it was or not I'm still up in arms about. I found those in an area of about 45 by 45 ft, loggers came through there and that particular site was cut pretty deep by the dozer so I think they may have gotten spread out. When I posted that cache on here a while back some said it may have not been a cache but I like to think it was. If I'm not mistaken I think you guys (steve and ryan) commented on that thread. Nonetheless I pulled out a lot of sweet broken blades from that little spot 99.9 percent broke. :dontknow

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
"I still bring home every flake I find. That way I'm not seeing that pc on my next hunt and I don't have to flip it again etc. "

That's why I pick up every little piece, I don't want to see it again. After every hunt I keep the bases, tips, worked flakes, and interesting material pieces and find creative ways to discard the rest.

That cache you found is interesting, I can't figure it out. Maybe it's the discards of a huge cache, the pieces that were broken during manufacture and the whole pieces were moved elsewhere. We all know they didn't like to waste and salvaged nearly everything but who knows maybe they had such a surplus of that material it wasn't a concern. Just thinking out loud on this... a great find nonetheless, had to be really exciting pulling all those out. I'm still looking for my big cache, I've found several caches with 2 to 3 pieces but nothing like those monster cache finds you read about.

Well here's another pile of mine. These are Savannah River and Appalachian types from Va and Wv. The majority of the material is red quartzite. I find these on just about all of my hunting spots within a 100 mile radius. I'd say for every one I find whole, I find forty to fifty broke. For whatever reason the culture favored low grade materials that were prone to break during manufacture. I also think thousands of years of freeze and thaw takes its toll on low grade coarse grain material. Quartzite, rhyolite, and slate are common. These spearpoints can get huge. I've seen examples in museums and books well over 8 inches. I'm just hoping to find a nice big one that's all there, I think it's only a matter of time. The largest one I've found is just shy of 5 inches but I've got a half that's around 4.

I have pieced three of these and glued them back together, this gives me hope for getting lucky on others and is why I think it's worth my time in the winter months to give it a try.

Attachments

• php27ip9iAM.jpg
    php27ip9iAM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 204
  • phpic9ibJAM.jpg
    phpic9ibJAM.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 190
  • phpGhFyk9AM.jpg
    phpGhFyk9AM.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 197
  • phpV9KPuXAM.jpg
    phpV9KPuXAM.jpg