Anyone own a Garrett GTI 2500 or other Great metal Detector???

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Anybody own one of the Garrett GTI 2500's? I was really curious as to how well the "imaging" feature works and how well it is at discrimination. I am thinking of moving up (so to speak) to a more powerful detector. Pleassssse guys no model bashing. ;D I am trying to find a model that will help me in finding jewelry without digging tons of trash. I am hoping the higher end machines that have more of the "bells and whistles" can do this. I know that the machine doesn't make a good MDer. An experienced MDer can find great stuff with a low end machine. Some of the people on this forum prove that week after week. I know both my machines well, but being that I am a very technical kind of person I believe I could really get into some of the higher tech machines. I am looking at Minelab Explorer II, Whites DFX, Garrett GTI 2500, BH Time Ranger, or one of the Fisher CZ series. Any of these look like great machines. So here is your chance to really brag about that great metal detector. Lets hear it and NO Bad mouthing the other brands :D HH and Good Luck

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently bought one after being so impressed with the ACE 250. I have an extensive post going on the "metal detecting" topic. Check it out and send me a personal message if you have questions.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine has had one for a couple of years. He loves the imaging. Large deep targets (such as soda cans) read too big even if they are a foot deep. A little tip he showed me that might help to find small rings: If you get a pull tab signal, but the image shows up as smaller than a coin...Dig it! he tried it on several rings and it worked great. Most pull tabs read coin size.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi treasure diver. I am not going to tell you any specific detector to go out and buy. The people that know me here already no what that answer would be. I think you would do very well with any of the units you mentioned. If your a patient serious hunter who has alot of time to hunt any of them would serve you well.

If your interested in being able to locate gold and silver easily I would go with a machine that has tone i.d. I would also go with a machine that lets you fully disc out what you want and don't want.

You don't need a machine that claims to find pennies at 17 inches deep. All of those detectors will reach coins nicely in the 0 to 6 inch range. That's where all your coins are in depth for most hunting situations. Althoe there are spots where water gets on the land constantly and it will make coins in the 6 to 10 inch range. Doesn't happen alot.

I am a serios hunter and only come across these spots maybe a few times a year. Then it all comes down to experience once a target gets to those depths. I can also tell you that if your using a mid ranged detector 400.00 to 500.00 and go up to a 1000.00 unit finds will double. It's proven in my mind.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with your next purchase. HH Jeremy

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I won't mention any specific md either, (everyone knows what the answer would be) but that 2500 soung pretty nice, it is true about the price thingy that Jerry said, discrimination is very important, i heard that the 2500 is good, so go with it, if u need it. HH CS

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I have a gti-1500 and do like the imaging. It seems to be accurate to around 6-7 inches. It does not perform well in salted wet sand though even with the 14" dd. If you are looking for a good land machine that will probably be used on the beach quite a bit it seems the minelab explorer 2 is the machine. I plan on getting one sometime. As far as the imaging and digging junk it does work to a certain degree. However sometimes I would have a large size target show up and dug it anyway and a couple of times it turned out to be 3 or 4 quarters in one hole. Hope this helps.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved from a Garrett Ace 250 to a White's DFX. It is one incredible machine.... IF you like reading and learning technical stuff. If you're willing to put in some learning effort, you'll end up with a versatile machine you can optimize for any conditions. I am truly impressed with this machine and don't regret spending the money.

I looked at the GTI 2500 first. I was so pleased with my Ace 250 that I wanted to buy another Garrett. But after much web research and reading, I picked the White's DFX instead.

Good luck with whatever MD you choose!

desmobob

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a GTI 2500 for 5+ yrs (it's a great machine).

Also own a DFX (also a great machine).

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Thanks Guys for all the great comments and advice. jimmileo I did check out your on going post about the GTI 2500. Great stuff! It's nice to be able to get true comments on a machine instead of hearing a lot of sales talk on how great the detector is. I will continue my research on differant makes and models and of course watch everyones postings on here. I have set my self a goal of buying a new machine with in the next year or so. The cool thing is that every cent of the machine will be paid for by my BH 505 or Fisher Impulse. I started saving in Feb. I plan to use all clad, jewelry sales, reward money (from returned class ring) to go toward a new high end machine. This really helps push me to recover great finds (like I really need any help being pushed to MD ;D) just ask my wife. Anyway its fun having a goal to shoot for, not to mention the anticipation of getting my hands on a really great machine. Keep up the Great posting everyone! HH and Good Luck

T

tuckwt

I'm new to MD with that said for two weeks prior to receiving my new GTI2500 I was borrowing a new Garrett 550. Like most people the first place I tried was my front yard. I would always start in the same place and have gone over that patch of grass 5 or 6 times with the 550. When I got the 2500 I went over the same piece and found 2 pennies and a dime that the 550 missed.
Good Luck

Rick60

Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a GTI 2500 with treasure talk and every coil made for this unit including the treasure hound two box coil system , I cannot say enough about this detector the more I use it the more I am amazed with it's performance , I also own a Minelab Eureka Gold detector a XTERRA 70 , Fisher Gold$trike and a Fisher Coin$trike and a couple of Bounty Hunters a Pioneer 505 and a Timeranger I air tested the GTI 2500 against all of the other detectors using a 12 inch steel ruler the other detectors picked it up max at about 12-15 inches but the GTI in all metal mode hit it at almost 4 feet this thing is just a depth monster and it hits some very small almost microscopic size targets the only reason I figured that one out was by using a rare earth magnet to pickup small ferrous targets when digging , my Green Machine may have some people that hate it but that is because they have never used one or owned it and forgot to turn it on while detecting and could not figure out what was wrong !!! I would like to see Garrett update the 2500 , this is just such a good machine ....

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machines you are looking at sell for over 1000. Minelab 3030's can be bought used with a lot of warranty left for 1600 to 1700.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to find a model that will help me in finding jewelry without digging tons of trash.

How would you ever knew it worked? The only way would be hands on comparing one machine against another, on site comparing?
I have three machines, had one for awhile (forth machine) sold it, decided my other machines could do as good or better.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be honest just from my personal experience to find gold silver and platium your going to dig trash. Pick a better mainstream detector minelab Garrett whites and learn it. Not just for a year but for a few. You will get a great Idea of what is what...but regardless of machine your still going to dig trash but the better you know it the less trash you will dig! Good luck

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I am very pleased with my 2500.

I enjoy the GTI features, it's pretty accurate and if my detector ever dies- I will buy another one.

I'm pretty confident of what I'm digging.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had one of the 2500 machines years ago. The way it talked became a bit annoying and I always turned that off and the imaging was nice, but I rarely used that and mostly went by what the target id'd at. It is really heavy with the big computer display on it, that was what I hated worse of all cause hunting all day long with it really is tiresome. If you're going to do it in parks and such it's great for finding things like coins and rings. I now use the special edition Fisher f75 with the upgrade from the factory. I love it and it's super good on the id of targets and in iron works great. The only negative I would say is it's not the best for beach hunting. For me though that's no big deal cause I'm only ever at the beach just one week of the year(vacation.) I use my for relic hunting and it's one of the best detectors out there now.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I read (but didn't put much faith in) on-line reviews of the GTI 2500. I came here to read about the GTI from the guys who own and use it. Everything I read tells me I made the right decision. I got the package with two imaging coils and the two-box rig to be delivered Monday. In the meantime, I've been watching all the Garrett instructional videos (several times). I'm trying to be patient.
One question for you guys: Are the stock headphones okay or should I shop for a pair of aftermarket phones. I'm nearly deaf, so I need something with some gain. My hearing aids work in headsets, quite a surprise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread