Anyone see Mythbusters November 1, 2006 (Silver dollar)?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
The myth was that a 19th century gunslinger shot a hole through a silver dollar. What did they do to test the theory? Took time period pistols and shot a silver dollar...No they couldn't use a piece of silver the same size and weight...they had to go get 1879 morgans and shoot them! They did it three times to three different silver dollars!!! They aired the segment last night on a re-run but man did I cry each time they shot one of those babys!!!
http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/202/27/
They never shot a hole through the silver dollars but they certainly ruined them! My wife couldn't figure out what was wrong with me...she wasn't watching the tv. When she figured out what I was yelling about she said "What the hell is wrong with you? They are only silver dollars! They can just go out and get more!" I don't think she realized they were 1879 dollars

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no Respect.

I hope they wern't CC's

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
jeff of pa said:
no Respect.

I hope they wern't CC's

They didn't show them up too close and didn't say. They just said "silver dollars from the time period" and then said "1879"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
They didn't show them up too close and didn't say. They just said "silver dollars from the time period" and then said "1879"

That's the Problem with these People.

Their Givin a Budget & no matter what it costs they just spend it.

No Knowledge of Coin value at all.
and sometimes I wonder if they Even Value History.
Just want to Debunk it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i wonder how many people wrote in and complained?

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
hollowpointred said:
i wonder how many people wrote in and complained?
We should all write in asking that since they have the authority to destroy such a nice piece of US history they should start destroying more by sending each of us a few!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
There was a show on the History Channel a few days ago that told the story of the life of Billy the Kid. In one scene, a deputy pointed his gun at a handcuffed Billy and told him that he loaded his rifle with 16 dimes instead of shot in order to create maximum damage when he fired.
The show recreated this with 16 dimes fired out of a period rifle, and they used 16 seated dimes for the test. :-\ It was a shame to see them flying through the air and smacking on the ground.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
There was a show on the History Channel a few days ago that told the story of the life of Billy the Kid. In one scene, a deputy pointed his gun at a handcuffed Billy and told him that he loaded his rifle with 16 dimes instead of shot in order to create maximum damage when he fired.
The show recreated this with 16 dimes fired out of a period rifle, and they used 16 seated dimes for the test. :-\ It was a shame to see them flying through the air and smacking on the ground.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,57732.0.html

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Oops, Jeff beat me to the punch..........
I hope I actually watched the show and didn't just read Jeff's post and think I did.... :-\

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
Oops, Jeff beat me to the punch..........
I hope I actually watched the show and didn't just read Jeff's post and think I did.... :-\

:D :D :D :D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I just can't remember!
Oh well, either way I did see the Mythbusters episode where they loaded the two pig carcasses in the Corvette for two months then tried to clean it out and sell it. I still haven't forgiven them for that one. A couple more episodes of some gratuitous explosions and I'll take them off the naughty list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread