Anyone want a better coin digging tool?

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Charlie P.....did you get your digger yet? Got mine in the mail yesterday. Man is that thing sharp! I was showing my wife the digger and accidentally brought it across my stomach area...and it sliced right through my good shirt!

Hey, Timberwolf, I was really surprised at how light the digger is. From the pictures, I was expecting it to weigh a ton. Nope....light and VERY SHARP, AND very strong.

Now, my thought is how I'm going to carry it without slicing through something. Ahhhhhh...Timberwolf.....my mind is still churning out the thoughts of a sheath. ::) ::)
--Mel

borninok

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I did - see my thread "Pluggin with a slightly different digger". As you say: Sharp! I actually filed mine down as it was chipping on the rocks. Hasn't chipped since I knocked the leading edge down just a hair.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Charlie...was that a cat's hair, a dog's hair, or one off the beard? LOL

Actually, that's an idea....I hadn't thought about doing that. I'm hopefully going out hunting this coming weekend and will try it out first before doing anything to it. Actually, with this dry hard ground, I'm not sure which way will be the best. In a lot of ways, I really do like the sharpness of it. All I know is that I really like it.....and, I might get the one like yours as an additional additional to my arsenal....ha/ha

--Mel

borninok

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received mine today.. All I can say is it is one hefty tool!!! I of course opened it at the wrong end and just when I was reaching in I remembered you said how sharp it was... Glad I stopped!!! This will be used for many years and then some..
Ray ;)

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
borninok said:
Hey, Charlie P.....did you get your digger yet? Got mine in the mail yesterday. Man is that thing sharp! I was showing my wife the digger and accidentally brought it across my stomach area...and it sliced right through my good shirt!

Hey, Timberwolf, I was really surprised at how light the digger is. From the pictures, I was expecting it to weigh a ton. Nope....light and VERY SHARP, AND very strong.

Now, my thought is how I'm going to carry it without slicing through something. Ahhhhhh...Timberwolf.....my mind is still churning out the thoughts of a sheath. ::) ::)
--Mel

borninok

Hey Mel,

Found a shop to make the diggers, but they don't do tempering. I talked with a shop that does tempering and he said the metal that we are going to make the diggers out of, isn't strong enough! Now it's back to the first shop, but I already know that they are going to disagree with the other guy. Man...why can't things be simple, just once?

Tom

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Patience of Job.... ;D ;D ;D

Because we are literally bone-dry here AND because we have nothing but hard shale clay in Virginia, my new tool dug down only 1/4" in my backyard. The ground is almost like concrete....seriously. They keep predicting rain for us, but it never materializes. I think you all in Oklahoma stole all of our rain....LOL.
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
We sure did. Got over 10" in June!

Tom

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
borninok said:
Thanks, I've been watching that thread closely, and I'll probably call them today. However, don't forget, I want one of the very first Timberwolves if and when you put one out. ;)
---Mel

borninok

P.S.....12:53 PM....Just ordered mine.

Mel,

The digger went to the machine shop this morning.
They are going to make one. Then I will take it to a different shop to be tempered. I will then test it in the field to make sure it is strong enough.
If it is, I will place an order for 70 of them to be made. I already have someone lined up to engrave my logo on them. I think I will have to pass on the sheath though. Gotta keep the costs down ;)

I'll let you know how this experiment turns out.

Tom

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
hmmmmmm....now I do get mine free, don't I? I mean...after all of my encouragement.... LOL
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
A special price for you Mel ;D

TW

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a tool like this from a company in MO-it's a fantastic tool, and impossible to break. What I like about it is that you can cut straight down into the grass and because it's flat and thin, you can insert it between the grass and the soil and lever up creating a very neat flap that is undetectable after you've detected. ::) Seriously, I don't know how I'd ever dig without it.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Yes AM,

They are handier than a pocket on a shirt :D

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Jim,

Sorry, but no.
The metal shop bailed on me before even making one of them :(
There is someone out there selling one like mine....let me see if I can find out who...and I'll let you know.

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
wvdrummer said:
I bout a hand shovel the other day,it is nice thick in steel,haven't tried it out yet.

I hope it works well for you.
Be sure to fill in your holes...that keeps everyone happy :)

TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread