anyone?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i remember reading something about the 43 copper not long ago. if i remember right the mint did not authorize any copper pennies that year, the ones that were made were made by mistake. if this is not right please chime in. i read so many coin publications every week so i might have gotten confused with another coin, but i don't think so

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the most valuable penny in the world from what I've read. If you ever find one, you'll be rich soon after.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
when i was in elem. school i remember seeing comic book ads with a 43 penny shown. the ad said "found this coin?" and the ad was for a book that "told the dates of valuable coins that could be found in pocket change" anyone remember those ads? i never ordered one. does anyone remember those comic book ads where you could order a mexican gold peso for 5 bucks? wish i would have ordered some of them

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do find a 1943 copper penny then it is most likely a fake. There were a lot of people that were plating the steel ones with copper to sell them for big bucks. If a 1943 penny sticks to a magnet then it is steel regardless of whether or not it looks copper.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I could be mistaken, but I think there are only four (4) 1943 copper pennied known to exist. One just sold not long ago at auction for "major league bucks!"

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the 1943 Cooper mint error extremely rare and there is also the 1944 Steel error
as valuable as the 1943 Cooper..

They do exist and the mint does (yes) recognized the errors

Darth Walker

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Quote from http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1943copper.asp:

In 1943 the United States Congress voted to make pennies out of zinc-coated steel. The country was fighting World War II and copper supplies were needed to make cartridge casings for the war effort.

The steel pennies of 1943 were called silver cents because of their silver grey color. These cents range in color from grey to black because the zinc coating tended to wear off quickly leaving the steel vulnerable to corrosion.

Were any 1943 pennies made of copper? Yes! As we have explained, there shouldn't have been. An unknown number were made, due to an accident at the mint...

To understand how the accident happened, you have to know something about how coins are made. They begin as 10-foot rolls of metal that look like huge paper towel rolls. Coin blanks are cut from these sheets with what looks like a giant cookie cutter. The blanks are then washed and heated and sent through a machine called an Upsetting machine that shapes the edge of each blank, creating the coin rim. Then the blanks are dumped into hoppers that carry them on train tracks to the coin press room. There the hoppers dump the blanks onto a conveyor belt leading to the coin press.

In 1943 mint workers thought they had made sure than no 1942 copper blanks remained in the hoppers. They missed some because 1943 copper cents were later found in circulation. None are known in new condition.

Genuine 1943 copper cents are rare and hard to find, and they can be extremely valuable. A specimen sold in 1999 brought $112,500 at public auction!

Beware of fakes! Since the 1943 copper cents are so rare they have been a popular target of counterfeiters and other scam artists. Favorite methods of faking the 1943 copper cent include:

•copper plating a 1943 steel cent.
•altering the date of a Lincoln cent of another year to make it look like the last digit is a "3" -1948 is a common choice.
•casting a coin from scratch -very crude and easy to tell, coins are struck not cast.
•creating a die from a genuine 1943 steel cent and striking a copper flan with it.

If you think you have a 1943 copper cent, how can you tell if it is genuine?

•Steel cents weigh 2.7 grams, copper cents weigh 3.11 grams.
•Steel cents are attracted to a magnet, copper cents aren't.
•Compare the digits on a 1943 steel cent with your coin. The shape of the digits should be the same and there should not be tooling marks where empty space would be on the"3".

If your cent passes ALL of the above tests then it is time to get the coin certified by one of the grading services such as NGC or PCGS.

There is also 1944 steel cents. These are just a valuable, but unlike the 1943 copper cent, a lot of people don't know about it. I heard that there was a once in a lifetime auction where someone sold a set of 1943 copper cents made at all three mints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread