Approaching #300 for the Year!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I'm closing in on my 300th (yes 300th) silver coin for the year so far. Just 6 more to go ;D. Most of my oldie finds are from parks where I live (Southern CA.), with about 20 or so silver found up in San Francisco when I traveled there and met a bunch of md'ers who, like me, belong to the California metal detecting forum called Kinzli's. The md'ers on Kinzli are all great people, just like everyone here on TreasureNet. My posts are extensive on Kinzli's, if anyone is interested to see them, they're free for the viewing. I have met and also helped many people on TreasureNet. Terrific folks all around!!!!

Here's a list of all the parks I found silver at in the past 5 months. I really don't mind posting the names of these parks, because I've hit them all real hard, extracting as many silver/wheats as I could from them, until it really wasn't worth a trip back for me. I'm sure I left a few pieces of silver here and there; one can never completely hunt out an area.

Whaley Park: 46, 53, 54, 64(cut) Rosies; 44P Nickel
Hill Classical Middle School: 50, 55, 64 (2) Rosies; 37, 40 Mercs; 43S Nickel; 35 Walker Half
Los Altos Park: 46, 57, 62 Rosies, 43 Merc
Heartwell Park: 50, 53 (sliced), 56, 57, 62, 63 (cut) Rosies; 26 Merc
Rec Park (LB): 46 (2), 47, 50, 51, 52 (3), 57(2), 60, 60(cut), 64 Rosies; 26, 34, 35, 38, 43 (6)(1 split, 1 cut), 44 (2), 45 (3), 1 no date Mercs; 42S Nickel; 35, 36, 41 Quarters
Pan American Park: 46(sm. cut), 47, 52, 54(3, sliced), 56, 57 (cut), 61 Rosies; 37, 41 (2), 42(2), 43, 44(4 #200) Mercs; 37, 47 Quarters; 43 Canadian Dime
San Martin Park: 54, 63 Rosies; 39 Merc
Jose Del Valle Park: 47, 51, 56, 60, 63 Rosies, 44 Merc
Simon Bolivar Park: 53, 54, 62, 64 Rosies; 44 Merc
Pearson Park: 46, 46 (cut), 47, 51(2), 54, 56, 58, 57, 59, 60, 60 (sm. Chop) Rosies; 18, 23, 28, 35, 36, 37, 40, 41, 42(2), 44(2), 45 (chewed) Mercs; Standing Liberty Quarter (No Date)
Furman Park: 57 Rosie; 36 Quarter
La Palma Park: 53 Rosie
Bixby Park: 47, 48(cut), 51, 52, 55, 59(2), 60, No Date, Rosies; 19, 20(2), 24(2), 24D, 25(2), 28(3), 29, 30, 35(2), 36(2), 42, 43(2), 44, 45(2), No Date(3) Mercs; 1896O, 1906, 1908, 1914S Barber Dimes; 1894O, 1908S, 1915 Barber Quarters; 1924 Standing Liberty Quarter; 43 Washington; 1907D Barber Half Dollar
Bluff Park (across from Bixby): 51, 59 Rosies
Irvine Regional Park: 55 Rosie (#100)
Granada Park: 46, 51(2), 63 Rosies; 37, 43 Mercs
Alhambra County Park: 46(3), 48, 50, 51, 52(2), 56(2), 57(2), 58(2), 59(2), 64(2) Rosies; 20, 38, 39, 40(2), 42(3), 43(4), 44(2) Mercs, 1909D Barber Dime; 45S Nickel; 35, 48 Quarters
Arcadia Park: 41 Merc
Demo in LB (8th & LB Blvd.): sliver of a merc
Sigler Park: 53, 57, 63, No Date Rosies; 42 Merc; 43S War Nickel
Mae Boyar Park: 54 Rosie; 41 Merc
Griffith Park: 46, 47, 48, 51(3), 52(2), 53(3), 54, 56, 64 Rosies; 19, 28, 37, 38(2), 40, 41(2), 42, 44 Mercs; 43(2) Quarters
Maxwell Park: 60 Rosie
Hillcrest Park: 45 Merc
Brookside Park: 36, 43, 44 Mercs
Apollo Park: No Date Rosie
Idyllwild (Dark Canyon Campground): 41, 43 Mercs
Big Rec (SF): 48, 49, 53, 59 Rosies; 17, 20, 23, 39, 41, 43(2), 44 Mercs; 45, 52 Quarters
DeYoung Meadow (SF): 53, 56 Rosies
Alamo Square (SF): 43 Merc; 1912D Barber Dime
Harmon Park, Pasadena: 56, 59 Rosies; 20, 24, 26, 42, 43, 44 Mercs; 43S, 44P War Nickels; ’41 Canadian Quarter
Brand Park (San Fernando Mission): 63, 64 Rosies; 43 Merc; 43S, 45S War Nickels
Demo Lot (Riverside): 54 Washington
Fairmount Park: 41, 45 Mercs; 1911S Barber Dime

My wheatie count is 4 times my silver count. I've found almost every year of wheat, except for an '09S, '09SVDB, '14D, and '22 plain.

The pic below is actually a pic I took when I reached #200 about a month ago. It's funny, after looking at that pic, I could almost tell you where I found each and every one of those silver. Each coin has a story to tell...... I'll post a pic of 300 when I get there, hopefully in the next week.

I would also like to add that this tremendous run of silver/oldies would not have been possible if it weren't for my amazing Explorer SE detector, and also me being off of work for the past 5 months, and being able to detect 5 days a week. ::)

Metal detecting is by far my favorite hobby. I have met some great people, and life long hunting buddies who share in the passion of finding old coins/relics/jewerly/etc. as much as I do.

Hope this inspires everyone who has been in a rut finding oldies to just get out there and swing your coil. Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0762 (1024 x 768).jpg
    IMG_0762 (1024 x 768).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,000
Upvote 0

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
KirkPA said:
Come on, dude, a White's machine could find those deep coins as well. I wouldn't go to the length to say that only an EX could find those coins. One still needs to take into consideration the user's knowledge of his machine before assumptions are made like that.

Just my Two-Cent piece worth of advice! hehehe

We had various White's machines out at the BigRec silver shootout hunt in SF and the White's couldn't see hardly any of the deep targets that the Explorer clearly called silver. The people behind the White's machines were pros and it was really obvious just how short the White's machines are when they stack up against the Explorers.

Please read this to see the FACTS. http://forums.kinzlicoils.com/index.php?showtopic=8427 It is written by a White's dealer and factory tester, no joke. It is now very clear that Whites needs to step it up if they plan on competing with Minelab.

Captn, sweet list dude!!

HH

JW

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
KirkPA said:
Come on, dude, a White's machine could find those deep coins as well. I wouldn't go to the length to say that only an EX could find those coins. One still needs to take into consideration the user's knowledge of his machine before assumptions are made like that.

Im not going to say that you aren't going to find deep targets with the Whites Machine.  However, I am going to tell you that I used a DFX with a DD-1400 coil for 4 months (Over 40 Trips) and found 1 silver dime and a few wheaties.  I traded my machine for the Explorer SE and in the 2 months of having it (Maybe 6-8 trips) I have found 5 Indians, 40+ Deep Wheaties, 6 Silver dimes.  I am only getting out about 20% as much as I was with my DFX due to a shift change at work, or those numbers would be even higher.

I like the Whites machine, but Minelab has them in the Depth Department IMHO.  This coming from a person that has owned and used both.  Just my 2 cents  ;D

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
JW said:
KirkPA said:

We had various White's machines out at the BigRec silver shootout hunt in SF and the White's couldn't see hardly any of the deep targets that the Explorer clearly called silver. The people behind the White's machines were pros and it was really obvious just how short the White's machines are when they stack up against the Explorers.

Please read this to see the FACTS. http://forums.kinzlicoils.com/index.php?showtopic=8427 It is written by a White's dealer and factory tester, no joke. It is now very clear that Whites needs to step it up if they plan on competing with Minelab.

Captn, sweet list dude!!

HH

JW

I hate to get involved in these posts but here goes....I read the comments by the whites dealer. I think here part of the point that was missed by all was these hunters were considered professional according to the statement.

I have read far far more frustrated users with explorer machines then any whites machine!!! Like any detector in the right hands they will produce certain results.....Having a dfx my biggest gripe is not finding the deep silver...I will not deny that but after reading most reviews by the average explorer user I will keep my dfx..thanks. Also i am not trying to start a problem here but being honest i find it hard to believe someone has found over 300 silver coins still in this day and age in 2007! But remember I am not finding them and that is probably what makes it hard to believe!

Just like some have questioned my finds...I maybe upping my goals as soon as I pass 5500 for the year probably sometime in July. I would like to know what does one of these professionals find a year in clad??? ??? Obviously i am not hunting the areas where I can even understand the thought of 300 silvers....so what about clad wise????Or do these machines just read silver and you skip over all the clad. Thanks in advance!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I hate to get involved in these posts but here goes....I read the comments by the whites dealer.  I think here part of the point that was missed by all was these hunters were considered professional according to the statement.

I have read far far more frustrated users with explorer machines then any whites machine!!!  Like any detector in the right hands they will produce certain results.....Having a dfx my biggest gripe is not finding the deep silver...I will not deny that but after reading most reviews by the average explorer user I will keep my dfx..thanks.  Also i am not trying to start a problem here but being honest i find it hard to believe someone has found over 300 silver coins still in this day and age in 2007!  But remember I am not finding them and that is probably what makes it hard to believe! 

Just like some have questioned my finds...I maybe upping my goals as soon as I pass 5500 for the year probably sometime in July.  I would like to know what does one of these professionals find a year in clad??? ???  Obviously i am not hunting the areas where I can even understand the thought of 300 silvers....so what about clad wise????Or do these machines just read silver and you skip over all the clad.  Thanks in advance!

Like mentioned in my other post, You are going to take the cake in clad.  More then likely, you will find higher $ amounts of clad then we will find in $ amounts of Silver.  However, if you are in this hobby to recover old coins, then the explorer group will win that race.

When using my SE, I have to swing very slow to hear the deep, deep targets (usually older coins).  Because I am having to do that, my total ground coverage is cut back and that equals less finds.  I spent 5 hours in a park the other day and got a total of 12 coins and one pocket knife LOL.  However, out of those 12 coins...2 Indian Heads, 2 Silver Dimes, 2 Wheaties.  Mission accomplished with my SE, I am finding older and deeper coins.  However, I have sacrificed my clad count, which really kinda sucks.  I save my clad finds and purchase something with it at the end of the year.

I am going to hunt in factory setting & Fast ON / Deep OFF in a newer park with my SE to see if I can actually go for quantity over quality.  I actually like 100+ Clad coin days...I miss them LOL

Check this out.....

You find on your 5 hour hunt 18 Q, 21 D, 5 N, 65 P in Clad, Total = $7.50

I find on my 5 hour hunt 1 Merc (common date), 2 Silver Rosie's (common date) 1 Buffalo (Worth 5 cents because of condition) and 6 Wheaties (worth 6 cents because of condition) Total = $3.00 in Silver, plus 11 cents.  However, I did find some old "keeper" coins Today.

Who had the better hunt?  You made more $ then I did, but I found older coins.  Thats what it comes down too, what are you wanting to get out of this hobby?  History or $ ??  There is no right or wrong, just what you want to get from this hobby. Me, I want both....But it may cost me double the cost of admission (2 machine) to get both. I don't know yet, I haven't experimented enough with my machine yet.

Just my 2 cents

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
I would like to chime in on this discussion myself.......Having used a white's machine and I currently own an old Explorer xs machine, I would say that every post has been right on!!!!! That has been my experience in using both White's and Minelab machines... Myself, I like the older coins,so I've got to go deeper to find them, and therefore I'm losing a little in quantity because I'm going a little slower plus I'm hunting alot of areas that all I find will be old stuff!! Also, there has been a steep learning curve with this machine, and truthfully, I still have a long way to go......All in all, White's does make a decent product....Alot of it comes down to knowing your machine and having good places to hunt!!! HH Nascarfan PS- By the way, I am happy that I purchased a Minelab detector, even if it is 7 yrs old!!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I'm with you Storm!
There's no right or wrong-old versus new! It's all about enjoying the time spent swinging.

What you (Storm) said about hunting for the old stuff certainly rings true for me as well. Yesterday, you could have been following me! I spent 5 hours hunting (really working my tooter off) and found 7 coins. I came home with 6, unsure as to what happened to the other. But, I did find a TEN IN TRADE token numbered 866 on the back. Anyway, I'm repeating myself as I'd mentioned this also in another earlier post. :)

GRB

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Storm, GoldenBoyRoy, nascarfan,

When I go out detecting, I too enjoy the challenge of finding the oldies. Storm, the Explorer of yours will be able to find the clad....you won't need another machine. In fact, with that explorer, you will strip-mine every bit of turf you swing your coil over from the surface down to 5" with ease. I think people who purchase Explorers do want to target the oldies. But you're right, not everyone has the patience for that type of detecting, maybe only coming home with a few keepers. They would rather talling up their clad count, and dig every signal, and get a few pieces of jewelry along the way. That's why this hobby is so great!!! It's just like fishing. Everyone that fishes does not target the same fish.

It really comes down to enjoying whatever you're doing. Having that passion to get out there and swing your coil in hopes of finding what you're looking for and also what you least expect.. ::)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I sit here in complete amazement.....I never would have imagined anyone could find that many silver coins and over a thousand wheats in just a few months. Here where I live that would take DECADES!
Congratulations on being a very successful treasure hunter. A title well earned with that count.
~NAsh~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions