Are newer machines the key to older coins ?

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.. I have been detectin since the mid 80s,and have wanted a new detector since the mid 90s,but have always
put it on the backburner due to various reasons. My first machine which I still use some is a INCA,followed by a
Golden Sabre II in 93 I think LOL..

My ? is are the newer machines with Target ID and all the bells and whistles really worth it ? I mean I have
found 1880 coins on top of ground and memorial cents at 6 inches so why all the depth issues?

The deepest old coin I have dug was a Barber Half at almost 7 inches other than that its 4-6 for the most part.
Maybe I am missing alot huh..

Soil condition probably has some to do with machines and depths,but no 2 machines are really the same
anyhow.

I am thinking a Tejon mainly because of reviews and the dual disc. followed by depth capabilities. Plus I
really wouldnt think of changin brands.I dont think Tesoro is topped by anyone.

So lets hear some responses.First hand accounts from people that have newer machines,and input
from THers like me who have used old school machines forever LOL

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Nautilus users have both the luck and the skill every year. Interesting.

To some degree, yes.

This type of hunt requires luck, to be in the right spot, and skill to find the relics if you're in the right spot. You could reduce the luck involved by having each team hunt the same location for the same exact buried relics, but you really shift luck over to skill. Only if you had each team hunt the exact same targets at the exact same location with the same experience/skill could you rely on the results to be the better detector.

I suggest there are probably more long time Nautilus team members.

That being said, Nautilus does make a killer RELIC detector.

Lets look at the logic here. Metal detecting is like pretty much any other hobby in that the better tools tend to rise to the top. The better motors for race drivers, the better guns for marksman, and the better detector for detectorist. I mean it's not like we have the only sport/hobby where the people are too stupid to realize there are those detectors that rise above the others based on just being... well, better.

While there is no "best" detector for everyone, there are a few that tend to be the pick of experienced hunters, and I believe that, like other hobbyist, that comes from being a bit better to more people.

Food for thought:
I've been detecting with the same people a long time. When we go out hunting more than 90% of the time I come home with the better stuff. My hunting buddies are just as experienced as I am. We all use the same detector, so are we to assume I must have the better detector?

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Wow, Great thread!

Gotta throw in my two wheaties.

I hunt with a Minelab. I hunt with what many think of as the "Black Sheep" of the Minelabs, the Quattro.
My old machine was my first, a White's 5ID, and I loved it.

When I first bought the Quattro I hated it. Couldn't find anything. When the lights came on, gradually, I started making more finds, deeper finds, than I ever hoped to with my old machine.

To me the bottom line is this: Operator proficiency is key. However, operator proficiency on a machine that is capable of both depth and ID is KILLER.

Why take the time to learn a machine that just can't seperate the signals, or give you depth?

For my money Minelab really does have the best tools for the way I hunt. That is how I look at it. The machine is a tool, so find the right tool for the way you hunt, and learn to use it.

Good Luck,
Mark

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Nick A (at1cad) said:
Bull59 said:
Try sending your Minelab in for repair. I hear they have stopped all repairs on models older than 1 or 2 years old.

Well that's spreading a rumor that's going to get out of control. Better to know the facts. The detectors they can no longer service due to lack of parts are all almost 10 years old or older. I am posting the dealer bulletin here.

Minelab machines are built well and will easily last 10 years or more. If after 10 years, my E-Trac can't be serviced, I'll buy another. I will certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it.

TWENTY DETECTORS THAT THEY DONT HAVE PARTS FOR ANYMORE!!!!!! WHAT A JOKE !!!!! THROW THEM IN THE RIVER ?????

THAT IS SAD!!! I WILL STICK WITH TESORO OR WHITES!!!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
artzstuff1 said:
Nick A (at1cad) said:
Bull59 said:
Try sending your Minelab in for repair. I hear they have stopped all repairs on models older than 1 or 2 years old.

Well that's spreading a rumor that's going to get out of control. Better to know the facts. The detectors they can no longer service due to lack of parts are all almost 10 years old or older. I am posting the dealer bulletin here.

Minelab machines are built well and will easily last 10 years or more. If after 10 years, my E-Trac can't be serviced, I'll buy another. I will certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it.

TWENTY DETECTORS THAT THEY DONT HAVE PARTS FOR ANYMORE!!!!!! WHAT A JOKE !!!!! THROW THEM IN THE RIVER ?????

Why is that a joke? Why would you want an old detector anyway? Do you just buy one car or computer or tv and expect it to last forever? I promise you finding parts for tvs or other common household electronics is nearly impossible. And with computers, the technology changes and gets better! Surely you would want a new and better computer, not just another version of the one you bought in 1990. Even after 10 years car companies don't stock parts for old models, why should detector companies be any different?

Once again, I'd buy another Minelab when it quits... just like I will buy another cell phone, tv, car, computer, etc... You can continue to use your 20 year old Tesoro, drive your 1989 Oldsmobile, run your Windows 95 computer and watch your 1995 console television with the converter box on it.

The original question was "Are newer machines the key to older coins?" and I'm not sure your post really contributed to answering the question, it was just a slam on Minelab. If you have some proof that NEW Tesoro or White's machines are especially good at finding older coins in hunted out sites, I'd love to see the proof or hear about your results.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Good Answer Nick A.

I believe much of the bashing of Minelab here comes from a condition called "Detector Envy".

If I didn't have a Minelab, and was watching all the posts from detectorists finding all the old coins and silver with them I would most likely feel the same way.

As I said, it was hard for me to switch from a White's, but it was worth every penny and all the time spent learning in the end.

That being said, if another company came out with better machines when it is time for me to get another, I would buy whatever is the best tool I can afford.

Have a great day!
Mark

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Nick A (at1cad) said:
artzstuff1 said:
Nick A (at1cad) said:
Bull59 said:

Why is that a joke? Why would you want an old detector anyway? Do you just buy one car or computer or tv and expect it to last forever? I promise you finding parts for tvs or other common household electronics is nearly impossible. And with computers, the technology changes and gets better! Surely you would want a new and better computer, not just another version of the one you bought in 1990. Even after 10 years car companies don't stock parts for old models, why should detector companies be any different?

Once again, I'd buy another Minelab when it quits... just like I will buy another cell phone, tv, car, computer, etc... You can continue to use your 20 year old Tesoro, drive your 1989 Oldsmobile, run your Windows 95 computer and watch your 1995 console television with the converter box on it.

The original question was "Are newer machines the key to older coins?" and I'm not sure your post really contributed to answering the question, it was just a slam on Minelab. If you have some proof that NEW Tesoro or White's machines are especially good at finding older coins in hunted out sites, I'd love to see the proof or hear about your results.

What do you call this ?????? trash talk!!!!!!!! how many holes have you dug in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Gotta Admire the Passion!

How about just having some respect for different points of view?

I can't see that this would be any kind of productive discussion with replies that are just meant to antagonize.

Best of Luck to all of you.

Mark

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
artzstuff1 said:
What do you call this ?????? trash talk!!!!!!!! how many holes have you dug in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure exactly what you are saying :dontknow:, but I'll take a guess and respond. Thanks for not typing in all caps this time, and you sure do use a lot of exclamation points! :) My discussion is certainly not about trash talking. The original poster asked if newer machines were the key to older coins. My answer was yes, and I set about making a case for newer machines, specifically the newer machines that I have chosen to use, Minelabs, because of the results they get. I find more old coins. Period. I find that other Minelab Explorer and E-Trac users are also finding more old coins than they did with their previous detectors. This is my personal experience. Yours may be different.

I asked if others using any other machines to post their finds to compare. If you have a Tesoro, White's, Garrett, Teknetics... whatever! If you are finding lots of old coins, I want to know! If there's a better machine for finding old coins, that's what I want to swing. Minelab has proven to me that it gets the goods, but I am open to seeing the finds of users of other machines under similar hunting conditions.

When you ask about how many holes I've dug, I assume you are calling my experience into question. So let's cover that for a minute. I've owned White's, Garrett, Minelab and Fisher detectors... more than one of each. I've been detecting for more than 19 years, so I've dug a lot of holes. This year with my Minelab I have dug about 20 indian head cents, 800+ wheat cents, almost 200 silver coins, 2 civil war tokens and a bunch of other stuff almost all from hunted out parks and schools. So that's already over 1000 holes this year, not including over $200 in clad, jewelry and any trash I've dug too.

It doesn't really matter to me how many holes you've dug, or how many years you have been detecting, but if you're using a White's or a Tesoro (or any other brand) and have dug more than 100 silver coins from hunted out parks and schools this year, please let me know, and it would be great to see a picture of your finds.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before this thread goes completely south, I'd like to add my thoughts.

First off, I've been detecting for 30 years, so I've dug a lot of holes and used a lot of detectors. For the last 24 years I've used White's so I could be called "brand loyal" but I owned the Minelab SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, a X-Terra 70 and just bought an E-Trac. The other Minelabs were great detectors, but not much better, if any, than my trusty old DFX so I sold them. I now take the E-Trac to the same locations I pounded with my DFX, and others, and the sites have new life. I have no doubt the E-Trac is the best detector I have owned yet.

That being said, I don't think a newer machine is the key to older coins for everyone. But for the person willing to put in the time to learn to use a new machine as well as their older one, then they WILL agree a newer machine does equal older coins.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Not sure exactly what you are saying , but I'll take a guess and respond. Thanks for not typing in all caps this time, and you sure do use a lot of exclamation points! My discussion is certainly not about trash talking. The original poster asked if newer machines were the key to older coins. My answer was yes, and I set about making a case for newer machines, specifically the newer machines that I have chosen to use, Minelabs, because of the results they get. I find more old coins. Period. I find that other Minelab Explorer and E-Trac users are also finding more old coins than they did with their previous detectors. This is my personal experience. Yours may be different.

I asked if others using any other machines to post their finds to compare. If you have a Tesoro, White's, Garrett, Teknetics... whatever! If you are finding lots of old coins, I want to know! If there's a better machine for finding old coins, that's what I want to swing. Minelab has proven to me that it gets the goods, but I am open to seeing the finds of users of other machines under similar hunting conditions.

When you ask about how many holes I've dug, I assume you are calling my experience into question. So let's cover that for a minute. I've owned White's, Garrett, Minelab and Fisher detectors... more than one of each. I've been detecting for more than 19 years, so I've dug a lot of holes. This year with my Minelab I have dug about 20 indian head cents, 800+ wheat cents, almost 200 silver coins, 2 civil war tokens and a bunch of other stuff almost all from hunted out parks and schools. So that's already over 1000 holes this year, not including over $200 in clad, jewelry and any trash I've dug too.

It doesn't really matter to me how many holes you've dug, or how many years you have been detecting, but if you're using a White's or a Tesoro (or any other brand) and have dug more than 100 silver coins from hunted out parks and schools this year, please let me know, and it would be great to see a picture of your finds.

wow you are a pro!!!

thanks

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Just say "Thank You!", Nick. And leave it at that.

It really is nice to have someone recognize your accomplishments.
You should be gratified.

Artz,
It is very big of you to pat Nick on the back like this. Kudos.

Best Luck all,
Mark

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick you have the proof to back up your words, I wouldn't even acknowledge the people here who continue to put you down call you a "pro" or whatever. You KNOW what works and your finds speak volumes. I don't know too many guys who come home with silver from almost EVERY hunt and from a park too. Your results are one of the reasons I am saving for an etrac. I use a minelab x-70 now, and I am quite impressed with it. But I think I could do a bit better.
I am using a mid range minelab and so far this year I have dug:
56 silver coins
21 Indian Pennies
353 wheat pennies
7 V nickels
5 Buffalo Nickels
18 tokens
16 rings

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Nice totals Goes4ever!

That is why I bought a Minelab Quattro!

I just keep smiling. Not everyone will use a Minelab, I know that. But, if they did, and took the time to learn it, they would never be sorry!

Good Luck!
Mark

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
Nice totals Goes4ever!

That is why I bought a Minelab Quattro!

I just keep smiling. Not everyone will use a Minelab, I know that. But, if they did, and took the time to learn it, they would never be sorry!

Good Luck!
Mark
hey I am THRILLED everyone does not use a minelab or there would be nothing left to find in a couple years!

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......The biggest problem that I have with this discussion .........is that to prove that the newer Machines (ie E-Trac or the Spectra V3)are the best..........is counting the number of silver coins or old other coins found!! I know Relic Hunters who value their minie ball's and other relics such as much as some do their silver coins, what about the silver ring and gold ring hunters, what about the cache hunters......some have no desire to find single coins........It sounds like that with the E-Trac or even the Spectra V3 the users can cherry pick and look exclusively for the old valuable coins.......I know some such users who do not even try to dig any numbers that would correlate to nickels or rings or bullets, etc..................Anyway CHEERY PICKING is not a new thing.........I saw it a lot back in the late 1970's and of course it continues into TODaY!!...........And this comes from a Minelab Sovereign user....LOL......Joe

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joe, I am not sure I understand your problem..........the thread is called................Are newer machines the key to older coins ?
it is not about minnie balls, rings, or caches..............it is about old coins.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Maybe we should start a new thread called " Which type of detectors find the most minnie balls"?

Joe, I look for relics as well as coins. But, civil war relics are pretty few and far between in Northern Michigan.

Good Luck,
Mark

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goes4ever said:
joe, I am not sure I understand your problem..........the thread is called................Are newer machines the key to older coins ?
it is not about minnie balls, rings, or caches..............it is about old coins.
.....................Sorry......I thought that the thread had disintergrated into My new machine is better than your machine..................LOL.................Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread