Art Deco woman, or is it a man?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored this beautiful painting (they're all beautiful to me, lol) at a garage sale yesterday! I was following a sign to an Estate Sale, and a few houses from it, I see this gentleman with a table set up and a few lamps and mirror. I stop and he proceeds to bring another table, and then so more art! Newer at first, then he brings this one. I asked for a price for the newers as a decoy, and he saids $50 for the pair, I then ask how about for that old one, and he saids $10! I said, I'll take it and quickly put it in my car!

It is not signed on the front, and the back does not have any nails or clamps to open it. It appears to be framed by a professional back in the good old days! I'm very very curious about its origin! I don't want to open it, in the fear of damaging it! Two of my friends (man and a woman) think that it's a man in drag. I, on the other hand, think that it's a very annoyed woman, from the Art Deco period of the 20s-30s. The piece is done in what appears to be pastels or oil. It is painted on a very thin piece of board.

So what do you think? is it a man or a woman from the Art Deco era? :-)

RJA

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    939.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    913.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 104
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Painting gone wrong. What is the issue with the forehead and hair line? Needs to shave or poor job on shadow. I looked at it for awhile. First I thought a Handsome woman then as I continued to look, I see a sad man.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a painting of the artists mother in law. Such a strong suggestion of his emotional angst. Sorry, but it is too Zombie like for my taste.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this painting before. Was it found in southern California or North Carolina? By the way it's a Spanish flamenco dancer. My guess is 1960s probably Continental. I think the style is Expressionist. But what you love and you'll never be disappointed with art.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this painting before. Was it found in southern California or North Carolina? By the way it's a Spanish flamenco dancer. My guess is 1960s probably Continental. I think the style is Expressionist. But what you love and you'll never be disappointed with art.

This was picked in Florida! Thank you and everyone else for your comments and feedback. I appreciate it!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Angry Romulan drag queen?
Dammit! I was gonna make a Star Trek joke, but it was going to be too long and complicated. I saw the Vulcan ears and eyebrows, the Klingon horseshoe crab outline on the forehead, all colored by Sulu's and Uhura's femininity and Chekhov's cleavage. But you summed it up in 4 words, I bow to you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread