Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an artist proof of this piece signed "Roxy" and numbered 3/100. It's pretty cheap, priced at $12.99. Online prices are all over the place, but none I can find are artist proofs. Not really my type of art, but maybe worth hanging onto for investment. What do you think, worth buying or not?

Too bad I didn't find the original, it's priced at 100K :laughing7:
https://www.ebth.com/items/4946000-...-offset-lithograph-fireworks-of-washington-dc

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I bought a bunch of artists proofs several months ago by Jack Deloney. The estate I got them from also had a bunch of regular prints that I passed on. The artists proofs sold for 2 or more times than regular prints. Don't know if that helps or not.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a bunch of artists proofs several months ago by Jack Deloney. The estate I got them from also had a bunch of regular prints that I passed on. The artists proofs sold for 2 or more times than regular prints. Don't know if that helps or not.

I don't know. There were originally 950 of them in the litho. 100 AP (Artist Proof), 100 EA (European Artist), 100 HC (Hors Commerce) and 650 limited edition, I think. I know in other collectibles, the lower the number, the more desirable. I just don't know enough about art to put a price on it without another of the same to compare it to.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes AP's are more valuable as are the lower the numbers too like in other collectibles. You could look at the type and styles of art that are trending currently as well as how they have historically. I think that a number 3, AP for that price is a great investment. Another thing to consider is if the artist is still living because if their art is selling at a good price while they're still alive then there's usually enough interest to make them even more in demand once they are no longer creating anymore pieces. Supply goes down as demand goes up. Then there's always the chance of their work not even being valued until much later although I am glad that today not so many Van Gogh's, etc. never see or even could dream of how priceless their art would become in their lifetime. Also the more familiar that you become with art, the more you develop a sense for what will become valuable and especially even more valuable over time. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably worth a couple of hundred to the right buyer, but I don't feel like hanging onto it until I find them. I passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread