Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Real de Tayopa said:
OHIO : william the conqueror/finder you posted --->'

For it to be Plato's Atlantis, it must be
1) 9,000 Years old or older
2) Exist beyond the pillars of hercules and on the ocean he refers to
3) Be reasonably large enough to be bigger than Plato's "Asian and Libia"
4) Be destroyed in an upheaval in a single night and a day such that a large portion of it "sinks below the waves"
5) Support a civilization at least remotely similar to Plato's, obviously he couldn't get all the details right secondhand, but they at least need to be at the "lavish temple and harbor" stage of civilization
6) If it doesn't match any of these criterion, a good reason needs to be proposed why this one fact is "wrong" and the rest is "right"...it's no good arbitrarily saying "He exaggerated that", while keeping the rest of the passage intact.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Atlantis does that and more.

Hint, an enormous, collapsed, dual ring, caldera, sitting on or near a major bearing / contact point of four Plates , an extremely unstable area. ..©@

Secondary thingie -->

http://nisee.berkeley.edu/lisbon/

Don Jose de La Mancha

Interesting link. Lots to think about there beyond Atlantis issues.

I'd agree that if Atlantis happened to exist once that's a pretty good place for it to have been. Assuming it existed you might well have located it.

Seems to me the deeper issue lies in precisely where the evidence is that it did exist, and whether the default position is that it did, unless someone proves otherwise, or that it didn't, unless someone can provide more solid evidence than Plato and Heroditus. Fact is that historians and pretty much everyone else never considered Plato to be a source of trusty historical data. That doesn't mean he didn't provide some, but it means he doesn't represent a solid foundation for as a convincing argument in favor of Atlantis unless a person just happens to want to believe it.

Academic one-upsmanship isn't a valid approach for killing off Plato as a source, but academic one-downsmanship doesn't work much better. Condemning the condemnation of Plato because [those lousy #@!$%#@!] 'academics think thus-and-so' -therefore-the-opposite-must-be-true just doesn't create a good podium for announcing a discovery anyone's likely to believe.

There's data on the ocean floor, magnetometer, sonar, free-air anomalies. Lots of mapping available and if Atlantis is down there it will very likely show on the mapping in the form of anomalies. If a person wants to keep a death-grip on Plato and hang on without looking anywhere else for supporting evidence I've no objection to it, but I'd tend to suspect the person doing it was deliberately turning a blind eye to available evidence that mightn't support a pet thesis.

Just my thinking.

Jack

Edit: Something a person might want to consider aside from the sterling accuracy or lack of it in Plato [and I consider] the more favorable Heroditus, is all the countless places Atlantis doesn't show up, recieves not even honorable mention. It ain't as though there's a shortage of folk who were busily turning out mentions of important events in history all the way across the ancient world. But Atlantis legends and accounts just weren't riding high enough in the saddle for them to draw their moral equivalents of pens-to-paper to say anything suggesting they ever heard of it. Nobody. As a person who isn't yet convinced Atlantis ever existed that seems significant to me.

Significant enough so's I suspect I'll never be convinced it did unless somebody who believes it enough to provide sound evidence it existed somewhere specific and that there's still something where it was.

But my believing it or not yet believing it isn't important. I'm just one heck of a lot easier to convince than most people who lean to the academic approach to history. So long as mainstream acceptance isn't a concern it's all just discussion and thought provoking but meaningless but poignant dialogues.

Beating Plato and Heroditus to death probably hasn't made believers out of non-believers if that was the intent. Providing a creditable location of where it 'might have been' is a great beginning for establishing whether it was there, or wasn't. But stacking a place it might have been on top of Heroditus with Plato wiggling around down there at the bottom trying to keep it all from toppling over is a futile expenditure of energy that might be better spent trying to find something to give old Plato a hand.

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
yeah...That's always been my primary objection to the Atlantis Ledgend. Things like that get written down.

I have some fairly grim findings on Herodotus as well...
He does not actually mention Atlantis Per Say in Book one, he just calls the "Seas behind the pillars": "Atlantis".
Now, you might be able to argue that it's called "Atlantis" because it's named after the island, but it's probably just as credible to suggest that Plato named the Island after the Ocean. I'll look up the history of the name. Now, Herodotus is famous for writing down just about everything anyone told him ever, with little to no edits...if he'd heard the legend of an island out there that went to war with Athens and sank beneath the waves, methinks he would have written it down in the pertinant section...he doesn't...so...that's something to consider.

I've learned also of a strong hypothesis that he mentions Atlantis in book 4:
all passages I can find look a bit like the one found online...more or less thus:

μετὰ δὲ δι᾽ ἀλλέων δέκα ἡμερέων ἄλλος κολωνὸς ἁλὸς καὶ ὕδωρ, καὶ ἄνθρωποι περὶ αὐτὸν οἰκέουσι. ἔχεται δὲ τοῦ ἁλὸς Τούτου ὄρος τῷ οὔνομα ἐστὶ Ἄτλας, ἔστι δὲ στεινὸν καὶ κυκλοτερὲς πάντη, ὑψηλὸν δὲ οὕτω δή τι λέγεται ὡς τὰς κορυφὰς αὐτοῦ οὐκ οἶά τε εἶναι ἰδέσθαι. οὐδέκοτε γὰρ αὐτὰς ἀπολείπειν νέφεα οὔτε θέρεος οὔτε χειμῶνος. τοῦτο τὸν κίονα τοῦ οὐρανοῦ λέγουσι οἱ ἐπιχώριοι εἶναι. ἐπὶ τούτου τοῦ ὄρεος οἱ ἄνθρωποι οὗτοι ἐπώνυμοι ἐγένοντο· καλέονται γὰρ δὴ Ἄτλαντες. λέγονται δὲ οὔτε ἔμψυχον οὐδὲν σιτέεσθαι οὔτε ἐνύπνια ὁρᾶν.

which is talking about a mountain, not an Island...the section it appears in is on the interior of Asia and Africa.The opinion of both me and my fellow library dwellers (we're not the best at greek) seems to link up with the typical "mount atlas" explaination you find online in a few places...places that are typically for shooting down the legend of Atlantis altogether, but seem to be right on this angle. When describing how to get to these Atlantians, Herodotus says it's located "after a ten day journey to another hill of salt and spring of water"...not exactly directions to a lost island.

The real problem with this theory is that we've all admitted that "Atlantis" probably wasn't called Atlantis, so any time a mythical location called "Atlantis" pops up, (since "Atlantis" really just means "Atlas-place"), any island, interesting rock formation, prometory, or continent on more or less the edge of the world could get the title "Land/Place of Atlas". What we need to do, if we want to find confirmation for the actual locale, is to find legends that agree with Plato's description, not just the name.

While Herodotus describes a very, very tall mountain, pretty much everything else doesn't really seem to synch up with Atlantis as Plato describes it. Now, I'm not stating anything authoritatively here, because this is far outside my field of research, I've only had 3 semesters of Greek, and I've never looked at a greek version of Herodotus before...but it seems that he's talking about an inland location or an ocean itself.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehehehhe Actually just how much proveable data can one expect to find after 12,000 years when most areas still hadn't developed accurate, written records? So we then fall back to verbal records which are notoriously inaccurate and subject to change from the very author himself.

The one telling factor here is that everything described for and about Atlantis is accounted for almost 100%, thus tending to give substance and veracity to the Legend. as popularly described.

I.E. a classic chicken or the egg situation in our case. The odds of finding the data and location that I have, which matches the legend perfectly or vice verse, are beyond astronomical.

Unfortunately we may never know in our life times, since there are so many other projects which will take precedence over Atlantis, even Though Atlantis is extremely important. It could explain the lost tribes of Israel and the origin of the Aztecs.

Don Jose de La Mancha

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
Real de Tayopa said:
Hehehehhe Actually just how much proveable data can one expect to find after 12,000 years when most areas still hadn't developed accurate, written records? So we then fall back to verbal records which are notoriously inaccurate and subject to change from the very author himself.

The one telling factor here is that everything described for and about Atlantis is accounted for almost 100%, thus tending to give substance and veracity to the Legend. as popularly described.

I.E. a classic chicken or the egg situation in our case. The odds of finding the data and location that I have, which matches the legend perfectly or vice verse, are beyond astronomical.

Unfortunately we may never know in our life times, since there are so many other projects which will take precedence over Atlantis, even Though Atlantis is extremely important. It could explain the lost tribes of Israel and the origin of the Aztecs.

Don Jose de La Mancha

well, you have a point there
it's a little foolish of me to expect any found artifacts after a cataclysm of that size.

I'm not really sure you'd need Atlantis to explain the "Origin of the Aztecs" though. Is there anything inexplicable about a reasonably advanced civilization developing in Mesoamerica?

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
WilliamTheFinder said:
Real de Tayopa said:

Don Jose de La Mancha

well, you have a point there
it's a little foolish of me to expect any found artifacts after a cataclysm of that size.

I'm not really sure you'd need Atlantis to explain the "Origin of the Aztecs" though. Is there anything inexplicable about a reasonably advanced civilization developing in Mesoamerica?

Plenty of good candidates without much to argue against them. From the 'north' probably the mound builders offer the strongest probability. If the accounts are wrong and they came from elsewhere there's a lot stronger likelihood for just about everyone down that way than, say, Japan, Israel, Atlantis, Planet X, China, or Antarctica.

Just my viewpoint.

Jack

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
yeah...
maybe I'm just a little too old-fashioned to buy a lot of "Histories Mysteries" stuff. I'm open minded to a lot of fun explainations, but I've never really felt the need for extra-ordinary measures to explain things like Easter Island, Maccu Piccu, the Pyramids, or the numerous vanishing civilizations the world over.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
WilliamTheFinder said:
yeah...
maybe I'm just a little too old-fashioned to buy a lot of "Histories Mysteries" stuff. I'm open minded to a lot of fun explainations, but I've never really felt the need to extra-ordinary measures to explain things like Easter Island, Maccu Piccu, the Pyramids, or the numerous vanishing civilizations the world over.

Easter Island is middling extra-ordinary. I've never come up with an explanation that Occam's Razor didn't insist leaned to the History/Mystery side of things. Similarly, the out-of-place-artifacts phenomenon, which any way you slice it doesn't leave much room for the ordinary. The safe thing's just ignoring them and pretending they didn't ever get there to be found. Otherwise a person might be forced to think there's more out there than we know.

Jack

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
Easter Island is pretty fascinating. you don't see a lot of civilizations spontaniously develop written language...it'd be one of 4 (I think) instances in history when that happened...so there might be something there.

But back to Atlantis:

I'm still interested in that strange metal Plato mentions...anyone know if it appears anywhere else?

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
WilliamTheFinder said:
Easter Island is pretty fascinating. you don't see a lot of civilizations spontaniously develop written language...it'd be one of 4 (I think) instances in history when that happened...so there might be something there.

But back to Atlantis:

I'm still interested in that strange metal Plato mentions...anyone know if it appears anywhere else?

Oro gave an excellent explanation and overview including photos of artifacts earlier in this thread if it's still here. Lots of good info

Jack

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Peeps:

HIGH MT. the piece on plate tectonics / micro plates was fascinating. I agree, they did an excellent job. However, common visualization would have produced the same results, but, of course, without duplicate reproduction by other scientists who may lack sufficient visualization abilities to confirm it. The mathematical analysis left me a bit weak since I broke my Abacus last week working on BB's Aztec thingie.

One important thing, nothing in the list covered the Atlantis sector, so I am still back in square one for proof..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHO: It was menitned ---->

within Plato's text we find the explanation, that there was a large change in the landscape of Greece, removing most of the topsoils leaving the "bare bones" (rock) and in the process removing this earlier "Athens" as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, wild speculation, but could a Tsunami from the Atlantis thingie have crested in Greece and accomplished this ? A mutual wipe out of Atlantis and early Athens. ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
Real de Tayopa said:

within Plato's text we find the explanation, that there was a large change in the landscape of Greece, removing most of the topsoils leaving the "bare bones" (rock) and in the process removing this earlier "Athens" as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, wild speculation, but could a Tsunami from the Atlantis thingie have crested in Greece and accomplished this ? A mutual wipe out of Atlantis and early Athens. ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

I don't know too much about geology, so I'm not sure. Atlantis is outside the mediterranian by Plato's Reckoning, and I don't know how easily giant tsunami's can "get in" to said ocean (Pardon the foolishness of that statement)

I'm definitely not a fan of the "every world culture has a flood story, so a great flood must have happened" hypothesis, mostly because there are a goodly chunk of cultures that don't have one, and those that do describe them differently and peg them at vastly different times in the past. Also: There's a great many beliefs held in common by a sizeable chunk of the worlds historical memory, inlcuded but not limited to Man/Gods, Trickster Beings, Predatory Shapeshifters, Dragonish animals, Kings-sleeping-under-mountains/wizard-spirits-sleeping-in-trees, The Evil Eye, Pyramid Building, Astrology, the transcendant quality of gold, and bascially any jungian archetype...though those can be disputed

Point is, and back to geology, Atlantis may have happened, but I really doubt that it happened everywhere. This is a pretty clever way to make the story less complicated...Plato does speak of "Rains" though.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Real de Tayopa said:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Don Jose de La Mancha

Seems physics and history agree it's possible and probable something akin to it has happened in the past.

The Physics of Tsunamis
The mechanisms of tsunami generation and propagation

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/physics.html
http://snipurl.com/2ag7x [www_geophys_washington_edu]
http://www.geophys.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/earthquake.html
http://snipurl.com/2ag7z [www_geophys_washington_edu]

How do earthquakes generate tsunamis?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tsunamis can be generated when the sea floor abruptly deforms and vertically displaces the overlying water. Tectonic earthquakes are a particular kind of earthquake that are associated with the earth's crustal deformation; when these earthquakes occur beneath the sea, the water above the deformed area is displaced from its equilibrium position. Waves are formed as the displaced water mass, which acts under the influence of gravity, attempts to regain its equilibrium. When large areas of the sea floor elevate or subside, a tsunami can be created.
Large vertical movements of the earth's crust can occur at plate boundaries. Plates interact along these boundaries called faults. Around the margins of the Pacific Ocean, for example, denser oceanic plates slip under continental plates in a process known as subduction. Subduction earthquakes are particularly effective in generating tsunamis.

This simulation (2 MB) of the 1993 Hokkaido earthquake-generated tsunami, developed by Takeyuki Takahashi of the Disaster Control Research Center, Tohoku University, Japan, shows the initial water-surface profile over the source area and the subsequent wave propagation away from the source. Areas in blue represent a water surface that is lower than the mean water level, while areas in red represent an elevated water surface. The initial water-surface profile, as shown in this image, reflects a large, long uplifted area of the sea floor lying to the west (left) of Okushiri Island, with a much smaller subsided area immediately adjacent to the southwest corner of Okushiri.

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/other.html
http://snipurl.com/2ag80 [www_geophys_washington_edu]

How do landslides, volcanic eruptions, and cosmic collisions generate tsunamis?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A tsunami can be generated by any disturbance that displaces a large water mass from its equilibrium position. In the case of earthquake-generated tsunamis, the water column is disturbed by the uplift or subsidence of the sea floor. Submarine landslides, which often accompany large earthquakes, as well as collapses of volcanic edifices, can also disturb the overlying water column as sediment and rock slump downslope and are redistributed across the sea floor. Similarly, a violent submarine volcanic eruption can create an impulsive force that uplifts the water column and generates a tsunami. Conversely, supermarine landslides and cosmic-body impacts disturb the water from above, as momentum from falling debris is transferred to the water into which the debris falls. Generally speaking, tsunamis generated from these mechanisms, unlike the Pacific-wide tsunamis caused by some earthquakes, dissipate quickly and rarely affect coastlines distant from the source area.

This image shows Lituya Bay, Alaska, after a huge, landslide-generated tsunami occurred on July 9, 1958. The earthquake-induced rockslide, shown in upper right-hand corner of this image, generated a 525 m splash-up immediately across the bay, and razed trees along the bay and across LaChausse Spit before leaving the bay and dissipating in the open waters of the Gulf of Alaska. Source: Lander, and P. Lockridge

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/tsunami/general/physics/transform.html

What happens to a tsunami as it approaches land?

As a tsunami leaves the deep water of the open ocean and travels into the shallower water near the coast, it transforms. If you read the "How do tsunamis differ from other water waves?" section, you discovered that a tsunami travels at a speed that is related to the water depth - hence, as the water depth decreases, the tsunami slows. The tsunami's energy flux, which is dependent on both its wave speed and wave height, remains nearly constant. Consequently, as the tsunami's speed diminishes as it travels into shallower water, its height grows. Because of this shoaling effect, a tsunami, imperceptible at sea, may grow to be several meters or more in height near the coast. When it finally reaches the coast, a tsunami may appear as a rapidly rising or falling tide, a series of breaking waves, or even a bore.

Ancient Mediterranean Tsunami May Strike Again

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080310-tsunami.html
http://snipurl.com/2ag85 [news_nationalgeographic_com]

Tsunamis like the the one that devastated ancient Alexandria in A.D. 365 may hit the Mediterranean relatively often, a new study argues.

Scientists say they have pinpointed the geological fault—off the coast of the Greek island of Crete—that likely slipped during a huge quake and caused the ancient tsunami.

Technology & scienceScience
Ancient tsunami devastated Mediterranean
Volcano avalanche 8,000 years ago triggered 10-story wave

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15971504/
http://snipurl.com/2ag86 [www_msnbc_msn_com]

A volcano avalanche in Sicily 8,000 years ago triggered a devastating tsunami taller than a 10-story building that spread across the entire Mediterranean Sea, slamming into the shores of three continents in only a few hours.

A new computer simulation of the ancient event reveals for the first time the enormity of the catastrophe and its far-reaching effects.

The Mt. Etna avalanche sent 6 cubic miles of rock and sediment tumbling into the water—enough material to cover the entire island of Manhattan in a layer of debris thicker than the Empire State Building is tall.

Jack

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Brett2259 said:
Still trying to find it, huh? I don't think it will be found.

Hmmm. You're sneaking around thinking it really exists aren't you? I was afraid this was going to happen.

Ah well. Roll with it. If you get to thinking it exists and it doesn't it ain't as though anyone will ever know whether it did.

No big deal, though I'm a little disappointed with you and put out you didn't come right out and say you'd changed your mind.

Jack

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
I typically think that guessing games like this are a good way to learn new things...
I'm sharpening my knowledge of Geology as we speak.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Friends:

Regarding "Legends" , a Traditional tale, often embellished with non useable / non essential, imaginative data, that may not be justifiable / provable in it's basic concept, yet is accepted as possibly existing and having a place in history - if not it would no longer be repeated historically.

Many consider the Bible as a group of legends. There are many factors in there which simply cannot be found or duplicated today, nor are there any reputable, qualified witnesses available. Yet in spite of this, we are steadily confirming many aspects of it. so it is with many Legends.

Unfortunately, many legends have been embarrassingly shown to be based upon the truth, need I mention Troy's present suspected location? Zimbabwee's finding, which resulted in a Lordship, the identity of the builders and workers of which still haven't been solved? .

Some day we will also locate King Solomons's mines, etc. The list is almost endless, but some are unraveled each year, despite not having clearly provable data presently. After all, if such data were available, it would have been solved long ago and it would no longer be a Legend.

In a more recent event, the Legend of Tayopa had also effectively been entered into the discard pile of legends which never existed, this by the very ones that operated it, the Jesuits. The failure of the hundreds that looked for it for the last 400 years.does not help to explain it's existence, if it actually ever did. Yet, in spite of the lack of almost any evidence, let alone creditable evidence, I succeeded in finding it and now own it. The resident Jesuit in Yecora is very interested in my find and wishes to have a long talk, which we shall have soon..

So it is with Atlantis, we have an obscure legend with data which no-one has been able to follow up successfully, a legend which vaguely detailed the existence, location, size, shape, etc, and crudely the age of it's occurrence.. Does the lack of any confirmation of this data automatically place it on the list of Imaginative stories, such as King Arthur? No way.

According to the legend, which I will not repeat again, we have several points which will identify it.--

Location --- West of the straights of Gibraltar. This is very clear. This puts it in the vicinity of the junction of the four plates, The North American, South American, euroasian, and African plates. this is very important as we shall see.t.

see picture #1

Size ---------As large as Spain & Libya, See comparative pictures. Remember, in the case of island empires, it was normal to include the entire group for the size. The Greek empire for example. Atlantis most likely included the string of islands to the south. The Azores.

See pictrue no. 2

Physical features, topography -- Said to consist of three water rings and two land rings with a central island of a certain size and shape, a large fertile plain with a small mountain. It also consisted of many islands, Probably including the Azores..

A simple explanation of this configuration is given as being a huge, collapsed, double occurring, caldera with two circular rings. In layman's language, It can be imagined that a huge volcano collapsed forming the outer ring. Later it became active again, and again collapsed forming the second smaller ring leaving the center portion above water which formed the actual island of Atlantis,
See picture 3

Rumors of it being between Spain and the Americas. Precisely where the presumed giant Caldera lies at the bottom of the Atlantic.

See picture no. 4

So we have found an object which fits Plato's description of Atlantis almost perfectly, the approx. size, physical configuration, location, and above all, located almost on the junction of the three continental plates, an ares of exceptional seismic activities. One which is perfectly capable of destroying Atlantis as described.

What would you calcuate the odds of Plato's description fitting this area so closely, one which no one has seen until recently, or this area fitting Plato's description so closely?

The actual proof and physical investigation will have to be in the hands of future scientists. Perhaps from the Explorers Club, of which we both are members.. We have neither the physical nor financial resources to do it, but we can take pleasure in helping to pave the way. .©@

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• santorini_36915.jpg
    santorini_36915.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 606

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread