Attacked and chased out of the woods. This happen to anyone else ever?????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my new found spot where I found two silvers and a pile of old coins 1 Indian head 1903 a 1911 wheat two 1918s and a 1928 and a 1917 buffolo nickel a 1963 quarter and a silver canadian which I lost .Today I went back found 3 clads and a tiny sreling ring looks like it was for a baby. anyway went to the spot where I found the 63 quarter I felt a sting I thought it was a sqeeter even though I sprayed off on twice then I saw all these bees so I left skid marks outta there and was stung two three times when I stopped I had to brush 5 or 6 bees off my clothes when I did that then they flew at me it was freakin crazy. My detecter is still on the ground where I dropped it finally after a while I went back and grabbed it and I only feel one of the stings now but I got EVICTED. I was by an old pond so Im hoping thats where they nest I wont go back by the pond again but want to detect the woods.. This happen to anyone else!!!Thanks for looking at my post Tommy bees 018.JPG bees 022.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, I've never encountered bees while detecting. I always try to be cautious near any obvious holes in the ground. When I was a kid I ran a lawnmower over a yellow jacket nest in the ground and got stung 20 or 25 times. It was awful. The closest I've come to danger while metal detecting was when I walked up on a bobcat hiding in the brush. Could have turned out really badly but luckily it sprang out of the brush in the opposite direction.

WOW! Yr lucky , No Bobcat's Around here that I know of.
Heck I have a Time putting my domestic Cat's into the carrier ,to take them to the Vet.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more Note on Bee's
Every Summer there are Honey bees Swarming around the Trash Cans at the Gas Stations I use & at Walgreens .

Yesterday Morn , 10 ish I stopped at the local Racetrac Gas Station & There must have been 30+ bee's around each trash can even the one by the front door.
I asked Who changes the Trash Here? The Lady said What? I said the Bee's What do you do about the Bee's.

She said they are Honey bee's & They are a Protected Species........Oh Cool No Wonder I never see anybody spraying them.

P.S. All the Trash Cans were full , at 10 am , Hmmmm now Who takes out the Trash?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We have lots of honey bees up here also. Many farmers spread out their hives at various farms, with permission of course. But in town, at the recycling bins, there's one little town that I will NEVER stop at again in the warmer months! There are no honey bees at this spot. Why? Because the overly aggressive Yellow Jackets have claimed everything for themselves! They'll even fight each other sometimes, in order to protect their prized food supply! I'm not the least bit allergic, bit I'm also no idiot!! ....Ok, ok...but no idiot in THAT regard! :laughing9:

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hornets have chased me a few times, so the sons and I created an experiment. Our findings- Yellow Jackets, Wasps, and others in the hornet and bee families are maddened by the sound of certaing detectors! When using my Whites, I have no problems, the Garrett dectectors get em' riled, and my Teknetics T2 makes em' made as hell!
Just my two cents.....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your calling Bee's I'm assuming in your language is Yellow Jackets (we call them wasps). I got sung by one & was worried about the others, because they let out pheromones which draw in the swarm to attack.
So if your near a nest or disturbed it, your in trouble.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know about across the big pond, but we have bees and wasps here. Not all wasps sting (like dirt daubers), and not everything that looks like a wasp, is. Actually, I think dirt daubers "CAN" sting, but I've personally never heard of one stinging. ...And this coming from a family where the guys would routinely catch a dauber in his hand, then release it some seconds or minutes later. They're interesting - but not when they made mud nests in your tools and equipment!! :BangHead:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about across the big pond, but we have bees and wasps here. Not all wasps sting (like dirt daubers), and not everything that looks like a wasp, is. Actually, I think dirt daubers "CAN" sting, but I've personally never heard of one stinging. ...And this coming from a family where the guys would routinely catch a dauber in his hand, then release it some seconds or minutes later. They're interesting - but not when they made mud nests in your tools and equipment!! :BangHead:

We have many, many types of bee's, & many types of wasps. But most UK people call yellow jackets - wasps. (even though its a generic term).
In general bee's die when they sting but wasps can sting you many times, so guess which is more likely to sting you.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What? "ME" have something in common with a "BRIT"??!!??!!?? Yep, guess we both speak with the unfortunate voice of experience. :laughing7:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellow jackets are bad to get inside coke cans and sting people when they take a sip of cola. Glad all I drink is water, milk and coffee. Guess milk has enough sweetness in it to attract them, but I always drink it inside.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my mom to the doctor today and was reading a story about this guy raising hogs in North Carolina and how an older guy advised him they would eat snakes. He put it like this: Hogs love snakes like a fat kid loves cupcakes. Laughed my self silly over that and may need to get a hog or two to hang out around my house. Used to have a wild hog hanging around getting in my worm bed, but haven't seen any sign of him lately.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While digging up a patch of wild Bloodroot surrounded by thorny bramble bushes I stepped into a yellow jacket wasp nest... I felt a sting and instinctively started to run, only to be promptly caught in the thorny bushes... They swarmed and stung and I screamed like a terrified child until I realized I could somersault over the bushes and run (now shoeless) down into the nearby creek. Got stung about 50 times and was eating benadryl like candy for 2 weeks. In the moment I was aware that fewer stings have killed many people so it really felt like a life-or-death situation; very scary (and painful). I don't recommend it, haha.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have been stung by in-ground bees nests. My first time was as a child just exploring the local woods with some friends. I made the mistake of stepping on some branches on the ground and soon figured out that we were in a danger zone. Not knowing if we were heading into it or exiting it we turned around and when we did we saw thousands of bees swarming in a huge circle that went very high in the air. We ran like there's no tomorrow, but not before I got 3 stings and each friend got one.

I also found that they can move in fast unbeknown to you even if you've been there just the week prior. I found that out in my own yard with a newly made nest in the ground. I got one sting as I was using my weedwhacker on the hillside like i did every time I did the lawn.

Lucky for me I never encountered them while detecting. Poison ivy and glass are what gets me.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I watched my Dad take care of those ground nests by going back and locating them at night then pouring gasoline into the nest and lighting it. No more bee problem after that.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell ya after that incident and everybodys stories I am much more careful and always aware I love that deep woods off that stuff keeps mosquitos away hopefully bees also. Getting stuck in thorn bushes that would suck I think I would take my scratches from plowing through those than staying still for the bees

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A2. Glad you escaped.
That has happened to me several times when doing contract work. The ground yellow jackets usually nest in high sand content soil areas. This time of year is the worst time and dont look into stump holes or you could be seen by the guard. He will blow the horn and out they come. One rule i use is if you see one yellow jacket you might be safe, but if you see two something bad might happen. Once i ran a hundred yards and they still were stinging me, six stings. A sting stick of ammonia will help neutralize the venom. Eat a benadryll if you are allergic to bees. My worst case, I got 13 stings working in military base in sc. Hard learned lesson.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ill tell ya after that incident and everybodys stories I am much more careful and always aware I love that deep woods off that stuff keeps mosquitos away hopefully bees also. Getting stuck in thorn bushes that would suck I think I would take my scratches from plowing through those than staying still for the bees

...I don't think OFF is gonna help with bees/wasps. Skeeters and ticks use their mouths. Bees/wasps use the "other" end. They're not gonna care what you taste like. :laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...while I've had my share of close calls with our nasty, stinging friends while detecting, I had my closest call at work this week, I was in Granite City, Illinois servicing industry heaters (yes, 95 degrees, I'm working on heaters)...but these have sat since last fall with no attention, and had to be careful as there were lots of wasp nests. Alas, I opened up the control panel on a heater, and BAM !!! There was the world's largest wasp's nest...and they were NOT happy...yep...I got LIT UP...a 220 lb dude in work boots and fire-resistant clothing can run only so fast...I count myself fortunate I only got stung twice, and MAN...it was like 220 volts going through me...great post! Ddf...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread