Attacked and chased out of the woods. This happen to anyone else ever?????

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my new found spot where I found two silvers and a pile of old coins 1 Indian head 1903 a 1911 wheat two 1918s and a 1928 and a 1917 buffolo nickel a 1963 quarter and a silver canadian which I lost .Today I went back found 3 clads and a tiny sreling ring looks like it was for a baby. anyway went to the spot where I found the 63 quarter I felt a sting I thought it was a sqeeter even though I sprayed off on twice then I saw all these bees so I left skid marks outta there and was stung two three times when I stopped I had to brush 5 or 6 bees off my clothes when I did that then they flew at me it was freakin crazy. My detecter is still on the ground where I dropped it finally after a while I went back and grabbed it and I only feel one of the stings now but I got EVICTED. I was by an old pond so Im hoping thats where they nest I wont go back by the pond again but want to detect the woods.. This happen to anyone else!!!Thanks for looking at my post Tommy bees 018.JPG bees 022.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
OUCH! And you never found that silver Canadian :(

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've witnessed that before. One of the guys I used to detect with a lot got attacked by bees when we were detecting in the woods. He ended up in the hospital though because he is allergic to bees. It was weird though because I was standing right by him and the bees only went for him for some reason.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope the thing is I put all my silver in a zippered part of my wallet so its very weird to have lost it!!!The funny thing is I went out to dinner that night with family and me my wife and Daughter all got Birthday cards and they both got 100 dollars I got 50 I was more mad about losing that silver quarter than the 50 I was shorted LOL

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happened to be only last week in Boise! Was detecting at a local park when yellow jackets swarmed me! Only 1 sting but thought I was going to have to jump into the Boise River! Finally got out of their way but what a stinging experience.....lol

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's happened to me a couple of times in the past few years. In both cases, I got a sweet sounding signal at the base of a tree, only to look up to see an active nest in a few feet off the ground. One signal produced a silver Washington, the other a musketball. I was very lucky to dig those targets and get away without getting stung. Always a scary situation!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been chased out of places by ground hornet's on several occasions.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Yep! They will chase you! I've never gotten into them metal detecting, but have in just about everything else!:laughing7:

Great finds!! Well, except for the bees!

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digging a ground nest can also be lots of fun. bees, bears, coyotes, snakes, skeeters, arachnids, tent people, hoodrats, punks & thugs and on and on----we diggers are a brave lot. :--)

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was chased by yellow jackets when I was a kid.........stung over 50 times.........needless to say, I have been more aware of their presence since.
Figured it was just a matter of time 'til you broke out of that silver slump!! Nice keepers, Tommy.........the coins, not the stingers.............:laughing7:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I fell on a nest when I was a kid at Lakeport State Park. 18 stings. Yellow jackets are nasty critters. Hope you can get back in the fall or early winter and find your quarter.

If they are yellow jackets I would rule out a pond. I would bet they are in the ground or a hollow in a tree or a dead tree. I would go back with a few cans of wasp killer SLOWLY and see where they are flying from and finish that nest off.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Yep! They will chase you! I've never gotten into them metal detecting, but have in just about everything else!:laughing7:

Great finds!! Well, except for the bees!

Dang Nitric, it's like you are a magnet for bees, hornets, wasps, chiggers and who knows what else!!:icon_scratch: Did you ever wonder if it is your' Rosey nature that they are attracted to??:laughing7:

Frank

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 1980's I was hunting a sandy beach in Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay and was feeling these sharp biting pains on my legs. I looked down and saw these biting flies on me! It really hurt! it was a really sharp pain these little guys can give, so gave it up.

I was a sprinter on my high school track team so I took of in a full sprint with detector in hand! Those darn flies kept up, they chased me all the way to our camper. I'm a California boy! I had never seen anything like that before. We don't have anything like that out here on the left coast!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
digging a ground nest can also be lots of fun. bees, bears, coyotes, snakes, skeeters, arachnids, tent people, hoodrats, punks & thugs and on and on----we diggers are a brave lot. :--)

That sounds almost like the line from the movie Robin Hood, "He was a brave lad". LOL!!

Frank

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Got attacked by some mud bees when I was a kid on a camping trip. They just poured out of a hole in the ground and went into attack mode and got me and a couple of others as we ran away :tongue3:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those who are in very dry/drought conditions...this is extremely favorable for those that make their home in the ground...BEE Careful!! On the plus side, it's likely to keep the tick population in check.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a venom allergy makes this thread kinda of a bummer. However, it is also an important reminder for those of us who are allergic. When hunting in the wood and remote locations, BE PREPARED. Take an Epipen, Benadryl.... Actually, lets scratch that. A venom allergy is only ONE scenario some of us might encounter while out hunting. Always be prepared in relation to your specific circumstances and environment. Think ahead, plan and pack what you might need in the event of an emergency. Most importantly, STAY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. It doesn't matter if you are in a deserted park at dawn or the backwood at dusk. Keep your eyes and ears tuned to more than the tones and dirt.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Yellow Jackets to me. If you go back to that area just to sit and watch for a while you should notice them all going in and coming out of a hole somewhere. Just stay away from that area all together

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds, yep been stung scratched and bitten by dang near everything out there, just part of the game we play

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions