jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at the GPAA Show there is a Minelab Rep.

One of the questions put to him was are there any
plans to make a detector that will show you the object
in the ground.

after making a weird face he said "There already is"

Unfortunate;y at the moment it's a $1.5 Million Dollar
Bomb detector that had to be mounted to the front of a Truck.

and it will be years before it can be produced Reasonably
for the public.

Personally, Not sure I'd want one except maybe for
Cache Hunting or finding a lost ring for someone.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Jeff, it would just take so much of the enjoyment out of the hobby, sure it would be nice feature, but taking away the enjoyment of seeing your find in the soil and not knowing till that moment or later what it is, well, that is a big part of the hobby in my opinion,and that is what this is , a hobby for enjoyment.......

Besides, we are also collectors of junk and no detector will ever be able to identify the many things we do bring to the surface that even then we do not know if it is trash or treasure until we get home, clean it up a bit and let PBK identify it! :)

Don

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I agree Jeff, it would just take so much of the enjoyment out of the hobby, sure it would be nice feature, but taking away the enjoyment of seeing your find in the soil and not knowing till that moment or later what it is, well, that is a big part of the hobby in my opinion,and that is what this is , a hobby for enjoyment.......

Besides, we are also collectors of junk and no detector will ever be able to identify the many things we do bring to the surface that even then we do not know if it is trash or treasure until we get home, clean it up a bit and let PBK identify it! :)

Don

Great point Don.

Gotta Keep PBK in work here ;D

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we could just get a

PBK Button added to every detector.

First hit Pinpoint
then hit PBK ;)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
jeff of pa said:
Maybe we could just get a

PBK Button added to every detector.

First hit Pinpoint
then hit PBK ;)
Now Thats funny.
I'd love to have some kind of detector that shows a accurate pic of something in the ground even if it was just a decent 3D outline. Along with the discremination tones.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The "$1.5 million bomb detector" isn't what you think. The pixels are way too small to be of use to us. Like, I think the pixels are an inch across, or more. So, all items coin and relic hunters look for, would be indistinguishable from each other. Like, a coin and a square tab and a wad of foil are all within an inch or so size, right? So they all get depicted as a single pixel. What good is that? Only if you need to size out large items, and their shapes, will it be of any good. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i, on the other hand, think it is a great idea. we have all been to yards with pie tin pieces all over and the ability to see the round disk or ring in all that junk would be a miracle. Plus, if we have it on a buggy or something, we could see into the ground like an x-ray. imagine watching TV on this buggy and seeing exactly what is underneath. you could cover a field like pigman's in an afternoon and not miss a penny. No more iron mask, no more pulltabs, no or very little trash at all. However, the only downside i can see to this it the loss of parks and old sites at an alarming rate. It will be much, much harder to find silver and coppers. However, there is an entire world to cover and we are trying to conquer it with a 9.5 inch coil and i think we will never find everything. Even if we don't like it, this tech is coming soon and we will have to retire our minelabs and DFX's along with the ones that can't discriminate iron.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
The "$1.5 million bomb detector" isn't what you think. The pixels are way too small to be of use to us. Like, I think the pixels are an inch across, or more. So, all items coin and relic hunters look for, would be indistinguishable from each other. Like, a coin and a square tab and a wad of foil are all within an inch or so size, right? So they all get depicted as a single pixel. What good is that? Only if you need to size out large items, and their shapes, will it be of any good. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

I believe This is also one of the Things they Would need to work
on in order to Make them Consumer Friendly.

He said It's Available But Too far off yet For the Typical Consumer.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GEM-3 from Geophex has this capability. The GEM-3 is a multifrequency electromagnetic induction sensor. There are three different size head units that can be used on it: the 96 cm head is cart mounted for UXO detection, the 40 cm head mounts on a shaft and the 30 cm head mounts on a shaft for landmine detection. The 30 and 40 cm head units are just slightly larger that most nice metal detectors. The display is an HP iPAQ which will show a picture of what the target is as long as it can determine it. On the ground surface it can do pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, etc... pretty easily.

Geophex GEM-3 ~$30,000
www.geophex.com

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
here it is:

Attachments

• minelab demining.jpg
    minelab demining.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 228
  • minelab demining.jpg
    minelab demining.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 226

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Jeff,

Did they say anything about a new Explorer model anytime soon?? I know the SE is fairly new.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did anyone ask about a hip-mounted model? ;D

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean7 said:
did anyone ask about a hip-mounted model? ;D

No actually. it never came up :(

Intresting Idea for the EXP though

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ah that's too bad Jeff. I've run into two people in last week who would get EX if it wasn't so heavy. One had back problems and the other was a petite female that doesn't want to do 5lb curls all day. Maybe they'll get a clue one of these years... :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in South Jersey said:

Don

Just hope you don't need it for the intended purpose. :o

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean7 said:
ah that's too bad Jeff. I've run into two people in last week who would get EX if it wasn't so heavy. One had back problems and the other was a petite female that doesn't want to do 5lb curls all day. Maybe they'll get a clue one of these years... :D

Yea, I don't understand actually.

You would Think these days there are so many Light Substances that could be used,
why they can't make one at half the weight for the same price makes little sense.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I don't understand that one either. Guy I met last week was talking EX and then I handed it to him and said, "you ain't gonna swing this thing like you're swinging that Surfmaster". He said - "well that's out - weighs about twice what I'm using!". He had told me about major back problems etc. from an accident.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes But your Not supposed to swing the EX like the Surfmaster.
You would miss 99% of the good finds.

There-in may lie Minelabs Reasoning.

Force you to swing slow.
the longer you search in a day the slower you will swing & the finds will pick up even more ;)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Yes But your Not supposed to swing the EX like the Surfmaster.
You would miss 99% of the good finds.

There-in may lie Minelabs Reasoning.

Force you to swing slow.
the longer you search in a day the slower you will swing & the finds will pick up even more ;)

Absolutely not true. You can swing an Explorer at a brisk pace with success anywhere you would be using a Surfmaster. Is there some negative to doing this, yes, but no comparison to a trashy site where the sweep speed is a much bigger factor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread