Automax V4 Holster

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I've read others ideas about carrying this PP. I think most would agree one of this PP's only "downfalls" is it's physical-size. This isn't much of a problem as far as using it, but mostly in carrying it (it's alittle top-heavy & awkward). The belt-clip that comes on the backside of the PP isn't sufficient & serves little purpose. I had previously attached a 12" piece of 1" PVC to my toolbelt for the probe end to slid down into. This wasn't bad, but I have bad shoulders & lifting the PP up 12" from my waist was difficult & painful. So I usually just carried it in my hand, along with my digging-tool.

I'd been kicking-around the thoughts of a convient way to carry it, plus lowering it on my side to ease the problem with my shoulder. It's not really visible in the pics, but the front of the "cradle" that holds the body of the PP is notched-out in the middle, so I no longer have to raise it 12" to clear the probe. I can raise it 2" to clear the cradle & lower loop (that contains the probe) & slide it out.

ppholster3.jpg

I also wanted to try using a probe, atleast to help with the larger objects, and wanted to avoid a similar problem I had with the PP, because of the length. So I added a holder for it as well, since both are similar lengths. The end of the probe fits into a 2" ling piece of (capped) 3/8" steel tubing. You can see the belt-loop at the top, so I can either wear it on my pants belt, or on the 2" belt on my toolpouch.

ppholster2.jpg

I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but just wearing it doesn't feel awkward at all. I'm not sure if I will need to strap the lower end to my leg or not. The beltloop is large enough to allow for alittle "swing" front to back, so until I have the chance to use it while MDing, I won't know which way will work-out best. It's made mostly from 3/16" rod, which I left enough room in the "cradle" so I can get some vinyl tubing to slip-over the cradle to eliminate the "rattle" from walking & added protection.

Smitty

ppholster.jpg

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks guys. I agree it is somewhat akward, fortunately I'm tall, so it isn't too bad, carrying it & removing it from carrying position was the trouble for me. I did get to use this yesterday for the 1st time, and it was comfortable, easy to use, and the PP & probe neither one ever even acted like they wanted to fall from the rig.

I did strap the lower end to my leg.

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread