OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we did a bit better than we have been doing this week. After 8 boxes we ended up with three 90% and four 40%. One of the 90% was a pretty slick 1917 Walker, no visible mint mark. Finding an early date is pretty cool! We also found two magician's coins, a 1987-S clad proof and a 1975 Balboa. I know some say these are a sign of bad luck, but it looks to be the opposite for me!

It seems like I might be over the skunk hump of the first three months of the year. 53/74 boxes so far have been skunks, so much worse than last year. Good luck everyone!

IMAG0479_1.jpg

Last edited:

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice couple boxes and the walker looks good for being nearly a 100 years old! What is a dead give away you found a magician coin? I have "fun" goals to find a magician coin in circulation and would like some help identifying them

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey silvercounselor, here's what I can tell you about magician's halves. First of all, I didn't find any at all last year and so far this year I think I've found six.

A couple of the obvious dead giveaways for magician's halves would be both the obverse and reverse of the coin showing a Kennedy head, or one side being a foreign. If you just edge check and toss, you'll never pick out a magician's half because the rims look the same as every other clad Kennedy. If you can pick out silver by hearing it, you can do the same with a magician's half. They do not ping and ring like a regular coin but instead just give a dull thud which is how I found the one above. I heard a different-sounding coin in the roll. Finally, if you dump via coin machine, they will reject magician's halves because the weight is off. I've tossed a couple back through two or three times before I realized what they were.

In other news, during my dump run today I had a neat score...

IMAG0481_1.jpg

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice steel cent. I've found the 1943-s and 1943-d this year--one in a box of cents, and one in a coinstar machine. Between the two of us we've found all three varieties of steel cents. Looks like it's in nice shape.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you finally got your skunk streak snapped. Seven silvers in eight boxes isn't great, but it seems like everyone in the forum (including me) is struggling to find silver. I think people tend to dump their coin stashes before Christmas, then things get pretty slim after that. Just a theory, but I did really well on loose halves right before Christmas and very poorly since then.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
It was the first steelie I've found in the wild. My grandfather's collection had all of the steelie mint marks and dates in really nice condition.

Okay numbers this week, but nothing spectacular for sure. Eight boxes produced five 40%. Looking to go on another road trip next week to hopefully hit the jackpot! I've never had great luck with CWR, but I've never been that persistent either.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up $298 in Eisenhowers before work today... Haven't had a chance to search them yet, but even if there's no silver, hopefully I'll be able to unload them for a small profit :thumbsup:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up $298 in Eisenhowers before work today... Haven't had a chance to search them yet, but even if there's no silver, hopefully I'll be able to unload them for a small profit :thumbsup:
Where did you get that many Ikes? I finally got rid of my Ikes. I had 108 of them. Some guy bought them for $135. I felt lucky to finally get rid of them. He called on my Craigslist ad.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the tellers happened to be moving them around after I finished dumping. I think they were pretty fresh because she was trying to figure out where to put them all. I didn't find any silvers or 1972 type 2's which is all I was looking for. I think I have around $370 worth hoarded now.

The price you got was about twice as good as the offer I accepted when I unloaded the last batch, so good work! I think I'll use any profits to buy some pretty silver, maybe a couple of ASEs 8-)

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even at around 10 cents profit per ike, you can make $37, it is a great idea to turn the profit into silver such as an ASE or two!
One of the tellers happened to be moving them around after I finished dumping. I think they were pretty fresh because she was trying to figure out where to put them all. I didn't find any silvers or 1972 type 2's which is all I was looking for. I think I have around $370 worth hoarded now.

The price you got was about twice as good as the offer I accepted when I unloaded the last batch, so good work! I think I'll use any profits to buy some pretty silver, maybe a couple of ASEs 8-)

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a good week this week, a nice treat! Out of eight boxes I was able to pull ten 40% and two 90% including a nice 1946 Walker. Second best week of the year so far in terms of silver oz, and best week in terms of # of silver.

IMAG0491_1.jpg
IMAG0492_1.jpg IMAG0493_1.jpg

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Went on a mini road trip last week with my gf... Ended up picking up $33.50 loose and $1330 CWR. The loose yielded one 40% and the CWR three 40%.

We didn't break even with gas expense, and picked up a "sealed" box that was short $10. The box was taped up and all of the rolls were re-wrapped on one end. The teller I bought from insisted that's how it arrived from the courier, so my guess is someone there is skimming. Needless to say I will be giving both the bank and the courier a call.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a mini road trip last week with my gf... Ended up picking up $33.50 loose and $1330 CWR. The loose yielded one 40% and the CWR three 40%.

We didn't break even with gas expense, and picked up a "sealed" box that was short $10. The box was taped up and all of the rolls were re-wrapped on one end. The teller I bought from insisted that's how it arrived from the courier, so my guess is someone there is skimming. Needless to say I will be giving both the bank and the courier a call.

I once had a sealed box that was 2 whole rolls short. The bank had an insurance policy for such incidents but I did not pursue because it was the first shortage of any roll in over 1000 boxes.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I once had a sealed box that was 2 whole rolls short. The bank had an insurance policy for such incidents but I did not pursue because it was the first shortage of any roll in over 1000 boxes.

I would definitely let it go if it was a box from my normal pickup, but it was a different bank altogether. It wasn't exactly "sealed" either. The glue was broken and it was re-taped, and all of the rolls were re-wrapped as well. I don't particularly care about being shorted, I just want the bank/courier company to be aware that somebody somewhere is stealing. I will most definitely be avoiding them in the future for any pickups.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart idea. that pickup seems a little shady by the way you described it, almost like it did not come from the currier that way, am I understanding this correctly? I know that sometimes the boxes from certain curriers are a little more shoddy.
I would definitely let it go if it was a box from my normal pickup, but it was a different bank altogether. It wasn't exactly "sealed" either. The glue was broken and it was re-taped, and all of the rolls were re-wrapped as well. I don't particularly care about being shorted, I just want the bank/courier company to be aware that somebody somewhere is stealing. I will most definitely be avoiding them in the future for any pickups.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Smart idea. that pickup seems a little shady by the way you described it, almost like it did not come from the currier that way, am I understanding this correctly? I know that sometimes the boxes from certain curriers are a little more shoddy.

When I saw that the box was taped, I asked the vault manager and she said that's how half boxes always arrive from the courier. She could have been lying, but she seemed sincere. What concerns me is that it's the same box style that I get from my main pickups, so I do NOT want this behavior to bleed into my normal supply if it's happening at the same courier company that supplies me.

I did forget to mention that when dumping last week, I scored a 1943 Mercury dime from the reject chute, my first reject silver of the year. During the mini road trip, I also found around $1500 in Ikes which I haven't had a chance to search. This will be WAY too many to try to unload on Craigs, so I'm going to have to call around to my LCS to see if anybody will buy them for a small profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread