OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Buff, it was still better than getting skunked...

Wanted to post this neat find from the other day. I started chatting up a teller changing a bag during a dump last weekend (they all seem to have stories about someone coming in to deposit an armload of silver) and she mentioned she had an old bill she'd been keeping for awhile and asked if I'd like to have it. She said she'd been holding onto it for over a year with the intention of buying it herself but just never got around to it. I said sure! Ended up with my first red seal find:

IMAG0620.jpg IMAG0621.jpg

1966 series red seal $100. It seems to be in about average circulated condition... I haven't been hunting for notes for long so my ability to judge condition is limited. There's a little tear in the corner that has been taped over, as well as a stamp on the reverse with the name "Victor Wasserman." I wonder who he was...

Also, I've read that this series/denomination naturally has low serial numbers, though I don't know how high/low 00005890 is by relative comparison.

As an aside, it seems like 95% of the tellers in my area are wise to silver and many of them even collect older bills. I don't think they know why they're collecting them other than the fact somebody probably told them that they're worth something.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey avago, I've never found any red seal bills aside from a few $2's and a $5, so that $100 red seal is really neat! The serial number is lower too, which could potentially add to its value. I am not an avid bill collector but I do put aside nicer older bills when I can afford to do so. I'd say that your bill is in average circulation also.

Great find. Hopefully that teller will be on the lookout for more goodies for you.
Good luck this week!
HH
Buff

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buff, glad you like the note! It's the first red seal I've come across in my short bill-hunting career, and a cool one at that! I'll probably hold onto it, definitely a good piece to start off a bill collection.

Searched a couple boxes last night. One was a skunk, but the other yielded the below coin. It's something I haven't really seen before and I don't know what's going on with it... It just looks to be a gold-plated 1967, but when I drop it it sounds like a clad half, not a 40%. So I'm confused. It couldn't have been struck on a cupronickel planchet, they weren't manufactured for another four years right? Maybe the gold-plating process messed with the composition or density? I have no idea.

IMAG0624_1.jpg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is weird. I've actually gotten a magician's coin 1964 (2 headed) and a 1968d before (heads and tails), they both made the thud when dropped though, so I'm not entirely sure what you have there. If you have a gram scale, a normal 40% half dollar should weigh 11.3g.
It's good that you weren't completely skunked! Nice find either way.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Another rough week of CRHing... eight boxes yield just one 90% and two 40%. Found a steel cent in a reject chute today while dumping.

Same stamp on my boxes this week, not terribly optimistic but we will see!

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is rough...I wish I could do eight boxes a week. I've been pondering upping my two boxes to three, but I hate to reroll and I would have to do it if I stepped it up.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear Avago, my 3 were skunks also.
Good luck with your boxes this week.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Did a little better this week, just about spot on average for the year so far. We ended the week with three 90% and three 40% out of eight boxes which is slightly better than the past three weeks.

Our June totaled out at eight 90% and ten 40% out of 32 boxes (not very good). Definitely a mediocre month of hunting, averaging just over a silver for every 2 boxes, below my average for the year so far and WAY below my average for last year.

Halfway through this year we've surpassed the number of boxes searched from the 6 months we hunted last year but have found about one-third of the silver we found last year (which is including some better CWR stats this year). I wish I would have kept as detailed stats last year as I am this year... Here's how we're doing so far in 2015:

So far over 178 boxes we're averaging 0.78 silvers/box and have been skunked 67.42% of the time. Our best box had 8 silvers and 2.25 ounces of silver. Our 40%/90% ratio is almost exactly 3:1. Our best silver streak has been 6 but our worst skunk streak was 11.

I'll post the detailed stats at the end of the year. Happy hunting everyone!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a pretty decent week of hunting. Got skunked on a few boxes but had two that each had 2x90% and 4x40% along with two boxes with one 40% each. Ended the week with 4x90% and 10x40%, just a little under three oz, our second best week of the year.

Also did a little bit of bank hopping... Got skunked on $560 in CWR, it was all very dumpy looking... but from $32.50 in loose I was able to score a '63-D Franklin along with another 40% :icon_thumleft:

Also got a smorgasbord of foreign from a reject chute while dumping along with $1.12 in US clad... no silver unfortunately:

IMAG0635_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had to pop into my log mid-week. Did two boxes last night, first was a skunk. In the third roll from the second box I pulled this beauty, our third 1970-D on the year. No other silver in the box, hard to believe!

IMAG0638_2.jpg

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an interesting week of hunting this week.

Out of the eight boxes we searched we pulled five 90% and seven 40%. We also had our best box of the year in terms of number-of-silvers at nine (4x90% and 5x40%) including a sparkling '62 Franklin. In terms of ounces, our best box of the year is still box #37 from the week of 2/6/15 that had 2.25 oz but only eight silvers.

IMAG0648_1.jpg
IMAG0649_1.jpg

The box also had an obvious silver ender (which I saved for last). The roll turned out to be a double that also had a 40% that pushed the box total up to 9 silvers at the very end.

IMAG0641_2.jpg

Dropping into a few banks this week I was able to find fifteen steel cents, though they were pretty crusty. I gave them a soak and most of it seems to have come off. Steelies aren't worth a whole heap so I didn't mind cleaning them off to make them look a bit better to me.

Before:
IMAG0646_1.jpg

After:
IMAG0652_1.jpg IMAG0653_1_1(1).jpg

Also, while dumping this week I came across this tiny coin in a reject chute, almost three millimeters smaller than a US dime. It looks to be a Netherlands 10 cent piece from 1943 made of 64% silver. Pics below with one of the steel pennies for scale.

IMAG0656_1.jpg IMAG0658_1_1.jpg
IMAG0655_1(1).jpg

I posted previously about our third 1970-D find which was great as well. I'll be taking the next week off soon to go on vacation, so hopefully I won't miss too much!

Also worth mentioning is that this week we surpassed $100,000 in halves searched. Our numbers haven't been great, not near the success as last year, but it is certainly a fun hobby. Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Got back from vacation last week and haven't had a chance to update my log in a couple weeks.

Two weeks ago I had my best box of the year with 53 silvers - 6 x 90% and 47 x 40% w/one Franklin, 9.12 oz. :goldbar:

IMAG0690_1.jpg

Full post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/469521-i-half-dream.html

In addition, we also found 3 x 90% and 4 x 40% for a grand total of 10.80 oz of silver! :2barsgold:

Then we headed up to Canada for a week of relaxing on Lake Ontario. Sweet fresh, dry air! But leave it to me to sniff out some silver... We stayed at a timeshare-style cottage and I came across an old jar of Canadian coins and a big bag of Canadian copper pennies. Out of it all I found a 1964 80% dime and 11 King George VI pennies.

Naturally upon returning, one of my pickups, thrown off by the disruption of skipping an order, forgot to order for me this week so I was at half capacity of four boxes.

We still did well, only one skunk. I had one box with 1 x 90% and 9 x 40% which was a nice boost for a half-week. Ended the four boxes with 1 x 90% and 12 x 40%

That made July our best month on record, probably EVER. We had four VERY solid weeks with a half-dream box mixed in. July totals:

19 x 90% and 80 x 40% for a total of 99 silvers at 18.70 oz!! :treasurechest: Things seem to be picking up for us here, hope to have an equally exciting August! Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great month! I'm glad that you were able to find some good silver this month!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice month! It's been so humid this month in our area, it's killing me! That dry Canadian air sounds like heaven!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had another good week of hunting bolstered by a ten-silver box early in the week. It was our second box of the year with a pair of 1970-D's, along with a Franklin proof and a 1969-S proof. Thread linked below:

IMAG0756_1.jpg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/471504-1970-may-my-new-favorite-number.html

Because the hunting has picked up in the last several weeks I decided to get an additional four boxes for twelve total this week. In addition to the box above, the other eleven boxes yielded another three 90% (including a 1962-D Franklin) as well as eleven 40%.

Totals for the week: 5 x 90% and 19 x 40% for a total of 4.62 oz. The total was helped a bit by the four extra boxes which had the Franklin as well as three 40% alone. Searching is the easy part... dumping will be another story.

My girlfriend and I are going on a "fun run" tomorrow, hitting up as many banks as we can. We haven't really scored much of anything in our first three attempts. Hopefully we'll find enough to at least break even after the cost of driving to a new area!

Happy hunting all!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had another excellent week... It's unbelievable how quickly things can change. I am soaking in this silver vein while it lasts!

In eight boxes this week we found six silver proofs and four Franklins along with a ton of other 90%s and 40%s:

IMAG0774.jpg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...eres-proof-theres-still-silver-out-there.html

Total of fourteen 90% and twenty eight 40%... 42 silvers at 9.21 ounces!

Also on a whim decided to pick up some CWR dimes which I never do. I'm too worried about losing out having the dimes counted as pennies when dumping. The teller said they were from a business just turning in rolls. The very first roll I picked out of the $100 I bought had this:

IMAG0766.jpg IMAG0767.jpg

Most silvers I've ever had in a single roll at 16. All Roosies from the 40's and 50's. So I figured the other $95 would be great, but nope, skunked out on the rest. I'll take an extra 1.16 oz. at FV 8-)

We also went on our "fun run" last week. I think we covered about 130 miles and 40 banks. $1390 in CWR yielded just one 40%. More than half of the CWR were big $450+ dumps

We also picked up $113 in loose halves that netted us three 40%, though they weren't even from the bank. A small business owner was at another teller and overheard us asking for halves. He gave us about $20 worth that he happened to have in his car which is where those three 40% came from.

Not enough silver found to cover the gas spent, to say the least.

Last edited:

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a superb week!! Hope you continue draining that silver vein!! I try not to get dimes much because I also lose out on them. Like you said they get counted as pennies. I've lost over $20 because of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread