Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After being cooped up for a couple of days due to Hurricane Mathew's effects I had to get out Saturday afternoon. So I headed back to a vacant lot where I had previously found over 100 Union bullets with the hopes that maybe one or two might be left. I went straight to the general area where I had found the majority of them and dug a few test holes; most of the bullets are buried about 18 inches deep.

In the third test hole I picked up a good signal and found a Williams Cleaner so I knew I was in a good area. I broke out the pinpointer and small shovel and worked through the deeper dirt. I was finding bullet on top of bullet (literally) with a few percussion caps mixed in. Eventually I put the Propointer down, dug through the dirt by hand and felt for the bullets. In the end I had 73 unfired Union bullets-three ringers, Williams Cleaners and a few Williams Regulations.

20161012_200649.jpg

20161012_200854.jpg

To date I have found 183 unfired Union bullets at the site, and I had to stop Saturday because it got dark on me.

So how did all those bullets get there? Earlier this year I took them to an archaeologist I know at the University of SC. He said that whenever the gunpowder that was wrapped around the bullets got wet they would discard the bullets rather than risk them not firing in the heat of battle. I know that Union troops camped very close to that spot (well-documented). The archaeologist said (as I already knew) that when the troops came through that area it was raining heavily for several days so they likely dumped their wet ammo there.

Makes sense to me; no telling how many more bullets are there.

Upvote 23

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That must have been fun to dig.

Very interesting how they all got there.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you found a GREAT spot. one most can only dream of. awesome. may we all find such a spot someday!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow that is a load of lead! Hope you can pull a few more goodies out of there.

Steve

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! Most I ever dug in one hunt was 26 and I thought I was doing something. 73 must be a record. I never get tired of digging lead. Congrats!!
That's a load to carry out.
HH RN

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Totally rad! That's 10-times the minie balls I've dig all-time! Cool post and some interesting info I didn't know.

Great hunt!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are great finds. I'm sure you will keep hitting that lot until you find your last one.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! Most I ever dug in one hunt was 26 and I thought I was doing something. 73 must be a record. I never get tired of digging lead. Congrats!!
That's a load to carry out.
HH RN

Thanks! I doubt it's a record but you are right-I had all of them in my right pocket and I walked to the car with a limp (or was that a swagger?) lol

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats DND. I have never seen so much lead in one pile.

Very well done sir.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I forgot to add in the post is that all of those bullets and caps were found in an area about two feet square, 18-24 inches deep. They must have dug a small hole there and dumped them. Probably covered the hole to keep the bullets from falling into the hands of the Confederate soldiers.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome!! Always fun digging CW lead and when all you have to use is your pinpointer, has to be a blast.
Congrats!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DND, Congrat's to you on the cache found of 3 ringer Minnie's. You did well. Mayan, (That's how we pronounce man in the south here) that was a great find. It is getting harder and harder to make finds such as this. A buddy of mine and I found a cache such as this back in the 80's in Atlanta. Pretty much the same thing. All the same type of ammunition, same caliber. Oddly enough, it was almost the same total of bullets found. I believe it was pretty much the same case scenario with the ammunition getting wet and the soldiers received a new issue of bullets and the old were discarded. I'm sure you know this, but always check and double check the wholes well just in case this was a lost cartridge box. In this case there would not only be an issue of bullets, but hopefully a finial, buckles, and a cartridge box plate especially if it were a union site. Great hunt and find and continued success to you.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DND, Congrat's to you on the cache found of 3 ringer Minnie's. You did well. Mayan, (That's how we pronounce man in the south here) that was a great find. It is getting harder and harder to make finds such as this. A buddy of mine and I found a cache such as this back in the 80's in Atlanta. Pretty much the same thing. All the same type of ammunition, same caliber. Oddly enough, it was almost the same total of bullets found. I believe it was pretty much the same case scenario with the ammunition getting wet and the soldiers received a new issue of bullets and the old were discarded. I'm sure you know this, but always check and double check the wholes well just in case this was a lost cartridge box. In this case there would not only be an issue of bullets, but hopefully a finial, buckles, and a cartridge box plate especially if it were a union site. Great hunt and find and continued success to you.

Thanks dawg-I grew up in SC so I understand the language lol. Yeah I keep hoping to find other CW relics there, like buttons and equipment that broke and was discarded with the bullets but none yet. I will keep looking though-it would be great to find a box plate.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dawg-I grew up in SC so I understand the language lol. Yeah I keep hoping to find other CW relics there, like buttons and equipment that broke and was discarded with the bullets but none yet. I will keep looking though-it would be great to find a box plate.

Well I'm glad your pinpointer is doing what what our machines won't. Need to dig and pinpoint all of the tractor tire hole

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread