Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After being cooped up for a couple of days due to Hurricane Mathew's effects I had to get out Saturday afternoon. So I headed back to a vacant lot where I had previously found over 100 Union bullets with the hopes that maybe one or two might be left. I went straight to the general area where I had found the majority of them and dug a few test holes; most of the bullets are buried about 18 inches deep.

In the third test hole I picked up a good signal and found a Williams Cleaner so I knew I was in a good area. I broke out the pinpointer and small shovel and worked through the deeper dirt. I was finding bullet on top of bullet (literally) with a few percussion caps mixed in. Eventually I put the Propointer down, dug through the dirt by hand and felt for the bullets. In the end I had 73 unfired Union bullets-three ringers, Williams Cleaners and a few Williams Regulations.

20161012_200649.jpg

20161012_200854.jpg

To date I have found 183 unfired Union bullets at the site, and I had to stop Saturday because it got dark on me.

So how did all those bullets get there? Earlier this year I took them to an archaeologist I know at the University of SC. He said that whenever the gunpowder that was wrapped around the bullets got wet they would discard the bullets rather than risk them not firing in the heat of battle. I know that Union troops camped very close to that spot (well-documented). The archaeologist said (as I already knew) that when the troops came through that area it was raining heavily for several days so they likely dumped their wet ammo there.

Makes sense to me; no telling how many more bullets are there.

Upvote 23
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome job on the led haul.. Can't wait to see if you pull anything else out.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's just awesome man! I could dig those all day and it'd never get old. At 18" deep I bet a GPX would really unlock that site. There's gotta be a ton left.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back for about an hour this evening and found 18 more; total from the site is now 201 bullets.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang.. Thats a big ole pile of lead. bet that was fun finding all of those.. You should sift that spot.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history and amazing finds, keep it up hope you find more goodies I'm sure they are there Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! What a treasure. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest: