DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to street tear up for the 5th time and for the 4th time I had the POLICE called on me.
Just got started when this ( I'll be nice) chubby women comes out her house screaming at me.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CAN"T BE DIGGING HOLES IN THE GRASS!!!!!
( It was DIRT No Grass )WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT !!!!
I'm Metal Detecting.
WHAT IS THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!!
I'm looking for coins. YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!..
From the sidewalk to the curb is city property. The police and city says it's ok to do...
YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! I'M CALLING THE POLICE....
Go ahead I'll stay right here and wait for them and then I will continue to do my hobby...
WELL!!! WILL SEE ABOUT THAT!!!!!
In the end the Police came and naturally I continued to Metal Detect....
Spent about an hour there and got a 1943 Quarter, which was right next to a tree standing on end between two roots and there was a space of about 1 1/2 inches between the roots for me to retrieve the coin ( I didn't scratch it , was I surprised) and a 1963D dime 3 whats 1919 1920 & 1956D
along with some change..
These 2 silvers make it 13 from this area in 5 trips....
I almost rang her doorbell after I was done and was going to tell her to get a hobby besides eating...
( Sorry I said I was going to be nice...)
Thanks For Looking ................................DPSB

Attachments

• 9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,814
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
since there was no grass to protect and its a "public area" to boot --- there is "no foul" of digging holes in the grass in "her" idea of her "area"---digging in dirt of "public areas" is fine -- the harpy had no issues about reading the "riot" act to you --- you were both smart and kind enough to let her learn the "law" when she called the cops ---however the 4 "callers" will soon gather their "freinds" and make a move on you by attending a city council meeting and pushing to get MDing outlawed in the area since they have nothing better to do and don't like being "put" in their place by you--- Ivan

I agree. You should be very polite to such people and don't give them any reason to remember you after you've gone. Curbs aren't that big in most cases, and take little time to detect. If it were me and someone told me to leave, I'd probably do so. The police don't like being called out because of you on four different occasions, regardless of whether it is your "right" to be there or not. This issue was brought up before in a lengthy post about curb hunting. If it is a sidewalk tearout, then I would think that a property owner has no reason to jump your back, but it is a touchy subject. Many of the private individuals who own fields around Civil War sites have had difficulty with detectorists in the past, and now simply refuse. I'd hate for this to start happening to private yards in cities as well. That outcome, and especially a legislative slap in the face would be far worse consequences that could be avoided by simply resisting the urge to hunt the 10 foot square area in front of a house. If it were me, I'd be trying to get permission to hunt the yards and not worry so much about the curb area.

I just think that anytime negative attention is drawn to our hobby it is a mistake. One possibility for you is to be more considerate when dealing with people. Just leave if they ask you to--go hunt another curb if you like. In this way, you aren't "danged if you do and danged if you don't." And this method relies on your understanding of your rights, and your understanding of most property owners MISUNDERSTANDING of their rights with regards to curb property. That way if you don't get approached by the property owner, you are able to take advantage of your rights to hunt the curb area. If you do, you leave without a confrontation and hunt another curb. I think each direct confrontation between a MDist and a policeman is another blemish on the hobby. Not trying to bust your chops at all here... just speaking out of concern for all of us.

Just my two cents,

Buckleboy

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on on your hunt.

As far as how I would have handled that woman, well I guess that would depend on which Johnny was detecting that day.

Most days, 90% or better, I would have taken my detector and simply moved on down the road.

But had it been on one of those few rare days, when I already had my fill of noisy, busy body, self appointed politically correct citizen watch dogs who know how I should be living my life better than I do, well, the other Johnny may have replied....Oh I CAN"T BE DOING THAT!!!!
hey lady......

It's wrong....but it sure does feel good every once in a while

Attachments

• JCashGood.jpg
    JCashGood.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,386
  • JCashBad.jpg
    JCashBad.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,386

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Silverbob,, ;D I would hunt with you anyday. The population of rude people is increasing in this world, and we need to put the hammer down to control them. Just my opinion,,, but think about it. AND,, YES,, you CAN do that:)

HH MC

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
But had it been on one of those few rare days, when I already had my fill
hey lady......
It's wrong....but it sure does feel good every once in a while

I think we can all relate to that; if'n we're honest ;)

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
The lady was probably already upset about the sidewalk being torn up. When she saw you she was finally able to vent at someone.

I'll bet the cops already know that lady. They tend to keep track of (regular callers).

You just never know what folks will do. Who knows? The next person might be curious and invite you to detect their lawn.

Thanks for posting the experience and congratulations on the excellent coinage! :D

Ridley

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Ok I know the "urge" to tell folks --"guess what I'm not living in YOUR world" -- matter of fact -- I don't want you bothering me in MY world --- so have a nice :D ;D :D Ivan

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
WilverBub, you displayed true professionalism! If I had a dudette screaming at me like that, I would not have been as "kind." I would have told her the truth and then kept datectin'. But, that is just KirkPA for ya! hahaha

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? What's all the fuss about. If a homeowner has isuess with you hunting, even if it is the "Strip" you leave and wish them a good day! Giving our hobby a black eye in anyone's mind is never going to re-open places that have all ready been closed off to us. It will only lead more places being shut down, then we all lose. We all need to make friends with the publc not turn them against us anymore than they already are. Right or wrong!

Desertfox

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertfox said:
??? What's all the fuss about. If a homeowner has isuess with you hunting, even if it is the "Strip" you leave and wish them a good day! Giving our hobby a black eye in anyone's mind is never going to re-open places that have all ready been closed off to us. It will only lead more places being shut down, then we all lose. We all need to make friends with the publc not turn them against us anymore than they already are. Right or wrong!

Desertfox
The yellow bus went around the corner and stopped..Next person " the red bus went around the corner and hit a car"...20th person " The green bus jumped a curb and hit a person the hit 2 parked cars......Don't make this out to be some horrific crime it wasn't.... I didn't say it it the first post but it was a 15 second conversation . Done with NO HARM DONE

RELAX!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I did leave and went on to the next.....

I have never experienced a person act like that in all my years of detecting So I post about it and this forum throws it another direction at times

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I had this happen once to me and Baldingboy. We apologized explained why we were there and that we would leave and then the person changed their mind and backed down and gave us permission to hunt the hole yard. It is difficult to say how irrational people react to facts such as you presented. I don't think you did anything wrong, but telling someone to call the police is always a dicey situation. If I had to argue with someone to that point I would just say to the person, " I am leaving now so you don't have to call the police." and moved on to somewhere else. Anyway, my two cents.

You did find some nice stuff though, so good job on that.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I don't get it ??? A. you were doing NOTHING wrong real or percieved. Did this woman think that when the sity tore up the sidewalk was not considered"digging a hole" B. She went from 0 to S fit in .2 seconds. Why I ask you could she have not taken the high road as others spoke of when dealing with you? Don't you have rights too ? You did the right thing stayed calm and polite. Nobody wants to bring negative attention to the hobby we all love but you have to stand up for your self when you are right. For those with the "hollier than thou attitude " let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.........

You did the right thing amigo 8)

Acevillav

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I wasn't trying to condemn him. I just have had mixed results when dealing with the police. And I live in an area where everyone knows everyone. So if I were to "win" a situation like this I would quickly develop a reputation with the police of being a "problem".

I don't think he did anything wrong but let's face it people are basically ignorant of our hobby and how it benefits not only us but society as a whole. Do you think he would have ever been able to make the point with this person he was dealing with? I don't.

Again not slamming the original poster of this topic. Just stating my personal experience and opinion.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Mastereagle22, I was not coming down on you just can't figure out why some people act the way they do !?! :P

Ace

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
acevillav said:
Mastereagle22, I was not coming down on you just can't figure out why some people act the way they do !?! :P

Ace

Oh I agree, and I was just trying to get that point across. People are too quick to judge others sometimes.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DPSB,
Sorry to see your post has had to take a downward spiral by some TN members.
In my book you did NOTHING wrong. You had permission and every right to be there and detect. You did not call that woman names or provoke her. Had you been walking your dog and he peed on that strip, you probably would have heard the same ration of crap from her. Some folks have nothing to do but stir up crap, chubby or not.
You were not breaking the law or trespassing. Why do some feel you need to tuck your tail between your legs and scurry on? "It makes people that metal detect look bad" they say. Look bad to who, this woman?
She didn't even know what a metal detector was!

I am an easy going good natured person normally, but when someone tries to stick their nose where it shouldn't be, and push their weight around (no pun intended), I stand my ground and fight for my rights.

DPSB-
You made some great finds. Be proud and happy. You deserve it!!!
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds, Bob!

Nana :)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Montana Jim said:
You should take pictures of them while they are screaming at you... also not illegal! LOL

I still like the "I'll keep everything you find" b.s. that some landowners pull, and then the ensuing "If you want it get your own detector" and subsequent toss of the finds into the weeds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread