DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to street tear up for the 5th time and for the 4th time I had the POLICE called on me.
Just got started when this ( I'll be nice) chubby women comes out her house screaming at me.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CAN"T BE DIGGING HOLES IN THE GRASS!!!!!
( It was DIRT No Grass )WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT !!!!
I'm Metal Detecting.
WHAT IS THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!!
I'm looking for coins. YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!..
From the sidewalk to the curb is city property. The police and city says it's ok to do...
YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! I'M CALLING THE POLICE....
Go ahead I'll stay right here and wait for them and then I will continue to do my hobby...
WELL!!! WILL SEE ABOUT THAT!!!!!
In the end the Police came and naturally I continued to Metal Detect....
Spent about an hour there and got a 1943 Quarter, which was right next to a tree standing on end between two roots and there was a space of about 1 1/2 inches between the roots for me to retrieve the coin ( I didn't scratch it , was I surprised) and a 1963D dime 3 whats 1919 1920 & 1956D
along with some change..
These 2 silvers make it 13 from this area in 5 trips....
I almost rang her doorbell after I was done and was going to tell her to get a hobby besides eating...
( Sorry I said I was going to be nice...)
Thanks For Looking ................................DPSB

Attachments

• 9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,814
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Neil, nice way to say it. Whats the harm in asking? No double standard here. There is a time and a place to stand up and be firm, that time and place is not in someone's front yard or the city strip. Because the LAW is on your side, laws get changed because of people like her. Why give her/ them the ammo to complain to the city councel and your right, the city won't just shut down the strip but the whole darned town. I've seen this happen before ana all it takes is one person like her to complain and a new ordinance is inacted, end of story.
No finger pointing or telling anyone here how wrong they may be. Just think about it.

Desertfox

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago, I met Silver Bob for the first time. He invited me and Skinny Puppy on a hunt to the very area he described in this thread. Since I've never hunted in Bob's "neck-of-the-woods" before, I was initially concerned about how manicured this "torn-up" street might be. When we arrived, 99% of the areas between the curb and sidewalk on this street had no grass, construction equipment, graders and front-end-loaders were everywhere. This area truly was a war zone. This was a relief because I am still somewhat self-conscious about detecting manicured grass right-of-ways. An hour after we arrived, a police car pulls up to check out what we're doing and after we all spoke with the officer, he just took our names for his report and said "good luck with your hunt. . . ".

It's been 5-weeks+ that these residents have had to "live" with this on-going street construction. I'm sure they're continuously tracking in mud on their carpets and trying to find alternate locations to park their cars at night. I'm willing to bet that after a month of construction inconveniences this woman may have reached her boiling point and Bob just happened to be her most convenient target. Now, had she been POLITE, I'm sure things would have been different. (Bob, you can keep all the silver you find but, leave the "bull's-eye" T-shirt at home next time :D)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate when that happens.
Good luck on future hunts there.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
When all is said and done, at the end of the day we all enjoy this great sport of our's. We don't have to agree on a thing here. We're still all friends and I hope anyone of you could email me and say your coming this way, let's go hunt! My answer of course would be " Let's Do It ". I hope you would say the same for to me. HH all!

Desertfox

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
desertfox said:
Neil, nice way to say it. Whats the harm in asking? No double standard here. There is a time and a place to stand up and be firm, that time and place is not in someone's front yard or the city strip. Because the LAW is on your side, laws get changed because of people like her. Why give her/ them the ammo to complain to the city councel and your right, the city won't just shut down the strip but the whole darned town. I've seen this happen before ana all it takes is one person like her to complain and a new ordinance is inacted, end of story.
No finger pointing or telling anyone here how wrong they may be. Just think about it.

Desertfox
But my point is that it does not matter..even in a park if you tell someone hey i know i m allowed to be here and its not against the law and they complain the same thing can happen...so it is the same as hunting curb strips.If people complain because they are afraid for their kids because you are in there park, they will/ may pass an ordanance to ban detecting.
My point is if you tell people to do the right thing and check the laws and with the city and you are in the right now your saying well just dont do it and go on.
Again i am in no way saying to get into a screaming match or physical encounter with the home owner but right is right.If i follow all the rules and the law is on my side then why should i be punished???
I have a couple instances where when i explained to them that i had checked with the city and they own the right of way between the sidewalk and the curb and have no law against detecting,they started talking to me and asking wjat i had found.....
Everyone has to make there own choice as always and i repect your view........

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
:D Teverly, I also respect your views. And as I said, if any of you are down in this part of the country and want to do some detecting, email me we'll make the time and find a spot to hunt. HH all
ps: Silver Bob, thanks for starting this thread, I have enjoyed all the comments and responses

Desertfox

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finnds, WTG!!!
The story is simply too funny... Haven't had any run ins with anyone yet.
And, some of you guys are getting too mean... ;D Slim fast, KFC,,, lol...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Spiney Norma said:
I think the sexual tension between you and her is thick enough to cut with a knife!
She wants you dude

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions