Baker papers

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want to hijack outlaws thread, but someone posted they wouldn't trust Baker.I've been thinking about sending some of my better items to get papered for the sole purpose upon my death my loved ones would be able to get closer to top dollar for them as opposed to getting hosed having no clue to the value. With papers the items will fetch more money at auction.I was leaning toward baker as I see his items do good on eBay. Any opinions on baker or anyone else?

Upvote 0

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I think Bennett is good,,,Baker too. I recently had some dealings with Stermer and he was great as well...
I didn't want to hijack outlaws thread, but someone posted they wouldn't trust Baker.I've been thinking about sending some of my better items to get papered for the sole purpose upon my death my loved ones would be able to get closer to top dollar for them as opposed to getting hosed having no clue to the value. With papers the items will fetch more money at auction.I was leaning toward baker as I see his items do good on eBay. Any opinions on baker or anyone else?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

Where are the artifacts from? Which region or state? Some guys are better with certain areas, in my opinion anyway.

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
Bennett has some awesome forgery safeguards as well as searchable records not sure about Baker. Both seem good with the Midwestern stuff.

OP
OP
Cosmo

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grounds no link just search baker COA. Quito point well taken your exactly right.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Baker papers will help you sell items on eBay if they are in the $50-$500 range, but I don't know that his paper would help much above that or at a non-internet auction. Personally, I don't like seeing one guys paper on all of the better pieces in a collection. I wouldn't spend $20 to paper a $20 personal find, but papering the better ones probably won't hurt.

The real question you seem to be asking, and it's a very important one, is how to help your family understand your collection. I don't have nearly as many significant pieces as some people here, but the ones I do have paperwork (mostly journals/catalogs where they are pictured, but some COA's.) My wife knows where that paperwork is, and I have some notes on value & who to contact. A lot of it is pre-Colombian stuff where having pre-import ban provenance is hugely important. I have done the same for better relics from the US just because I am used to it.

Beyond those pieces, my catalog (collection notes) are pretty specific and easy to understand. It's mostly personal finds with county state info, but purchased items contain as much history as I have. That collection history is actually a valuable part of the provenance. Probably more important than a COA to many collectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread