Bank error opinions- updated

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey folks-
I went into a bank around noon today and gave them 2 straps(4,000) in hundreds. The teller verified the amount and counted in front of me(after I of course counted it myself). Four hours later she calls me back and says that one of the straps had a 20 instead of a 100.
What would you do?
I have counted my money and all my other money shows up to be accurate(I always do things in 1000s).

I want to keep my relationship with the bank, and would want to rectify the problem if it is my fault(even if it was because I got a strap along the line with a 20 stuck in it)... However, she verified it, in front of me, and neither of us saw a 20 at that time.

It wasnt until the end of the day(when she calls me) that she sees a 20 in the 100s(which she paperclipped together, and were no longer in my straps)....

I want to fix the problem if its my fault, but how do we know it is? How do we know that the teller wasnt doing something dishonest.

Advice, suggestions? I plan to talk to the manager first thing in the AM as the bank is closed now-
N8

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bank error opinions-

They should have surveillance vid showing the count out. I know banks out here do.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They counted it in front of you. If they didn't catch it, it's on them. Once they take the money, how can you prove what did or didn't happen with the teller in the vault?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would talk to the manager and the bank should eat the missing $80. If the teller counted it in front of you and verified the amount that you said was there. I guess the big question is the integrity of the Teller? You could always ask the manager how long the teller has worked there and if there has been any issues before? Would some one risk thier job for $80? Do the tellers count thier drawers at the end of the day, was the count off by - $80?

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

namster said:
They should have surveillance vid showing the count out. I know banks out here do.
true talk to the manager, if you worried about the relationship, the other tellers you have dealt with in the past know you and that shouldn't effect the way they treat you esp if she has come up short before.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

Beans said:
I would talk to the manager and the bank should eat the missing $80. If the teller counted it in front of you and verified the amount that you said was there. I guess the big question is the integrity of the Teller? You could always ask the manager how long the teller has worked there and if there has been any issues before? Would some one risk thier job for $80? Do the tellers count thier drawers at the end of the day, was the count off by - $80?

2 banks I frequent use two different methods to make sure counts are accurate.

1: The count out the bills and then have to input the number of each bill and coin used in the transaction to make sure they match.

2: The teller counts the paper money, they then take it to another teller who confirms the count, marks it on the receipt and than it is processed.

As for your situation. I would suggest getting a look at the video or dont pay. If the video shows it pay up.

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have the manager involved in all the converstations about this, though don't make it secret like you're "tattling" on the teller, but just that you want to figure out what actually happened for the sake of everyone involved.

I would guess that once you explain the situation to the manager, they would not ask you to fork over the additional $80 unless it's clear that you made the mistake. After all, regardless of who made the mistake, there really is no way to know, but they counted it by hand on the counter for the very purpose of acknowledging how much you handed them.

And don't go in with the attitude that the teller is trying to cheat you... maybe he/she accidentally swapped the bills and didn't even realize it, so they naturally assume it was you. Either party could have made a mistake, probably no one is trying to cheat the other guy.

It's the same as if they gave you the twenty 100's, counted them out on the counter, and you call later in the day to say there were (19) 100's and (1) 20. Would you expect them to pay the difference unless it was clear who made the mistake?

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im sure you are not trying to beat the bank out of 80 bucks you walked in with 4k, the teller did count it, you counted it and all was verified.

I would just let the manager know you want to figure out what happened without applying fault to either side, as suggested check the video tape if available.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ya once they accept the money its on them. I would just go in and request to have a chat in the managers office about what happened. My banks all use the cummins turbo jet bill counters so theres never a question.

Also as mentioned by other posters, my first thought was it has to be on video camera, there is at least 1 camera trained on every teller in every bank.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just another thought, if I am reading your msg correct, each strap had $2k, so each strap had 20 one hundred dollar bills, it would be hard to miss a $20 bill in a strap of 20 one hundred dollar bills.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

What would the bank say if you were to withdraw $4000 in cash, count it in front of them, then call them once you get home claiming that the amount was incorrect? You would be at a loss.

It's my opinion that each party did their due diligence and that there was an error that the bank must pay for. I doubt there was anything intentional regarding the missing $80.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the input folks- I will let you know how it plays out in case you are curious.

N8

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Tabfry said:
What would the bank say if you were to withdraw $4000 in cash, count it in front of them, then call them once you get home claiming that the amount was incorrect? You would be at a loss.

They would balance their cash boxes and and if it did not balance they must find out why either way. If you are ever shorted, go back to the bank and they will be able to verify you were shorted and will fix the problem. If a teller comes up short on their end, that may come out of their paycheck. I'm sure they will do everything in their power not to let that happen. You may want to go back the bank where you picked up the cash and see if they have an overage.

Joad

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

Beans said:
Just another thought, if I am reading your msg correct, each strap had $2k, so each strap had 20 one hundred dollar bills, it would be hard to miss a $20 bill in a strap of 20 one hundred dollar bills.

That is exactly my thought. It has been counted at least 1 time by me. Probably some other time by a different teller(since I tend to keep my coin return cash together) and then counted by her, I too find it hard to believe--

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

joad said:
Tabfry said:

They would balance their cash boxes and and if it did not balance they must find out why either way. If you are ever shorted, go back to the bank and they will be able to verify you were shorted and will fix the problem. If a teller comes up short on their end, that may come out of their paycheck. I'm sure they will do everything in their power not to let that happen. You may want to go back the bank where you picked up the cash and see if they have an overage.

Joad

Cant come out of their paycheck, its called part of doing business.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ohh please let us know how it goes.

dspeer83

Greenie
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to be a vault teller at a bank and everyday at the end of the day each teller has to count their drawer and be balanced down to the cent. If they were over or under on their drawer it goes towards a running balance and if a teller were to reach a certain dollar amount they would be disciplined in some fashion. It could be possible that the tellers drawer was off and she thought you might not make a big deal of it since you deposited a decent amount of cash. I would talk to the manager in private and explain how the teller counted it in front of you, etc. They cannot take 80 dollars out of your account, it is their mistake once they hand you the deposit sl

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

ckrakowski said:
ohh please let us know how it goes.
Sarcasm? You do not have to follow the thread if that be the case... I figured I would report back on my findings in case this happens to another member(if you are not being sarcastic I will surely let you know)

F

Farchaus2k

This isn't the same bank that thought you were "the coin stealing bandit" was it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread