Bank error opinions- updated

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey folks-
I went into a bank around noon today and gave them 2 straps(4,000) in hundreds. The teller verified the amount and counted in front of me(after I of course counted it myself). Four hours later she calls me back and says that one of the straps had a 20 instead of a 100.
What would you do?
I have counted my money and all my other money shows up to be accurate(I always do things in 1000s).

I want to keep my relationship with the bank, and would want to rectify the problem if it is my fault(even if it was because I got a strap along the line with a 20 stuck in it)... However, she verified it, in front of me, and neither of us saw a 20 at that time.

It wasnt until the end of the day(when she calls me) that she sees a 20 in the 100s(which she paperclipped together, and were no longer in my straps)....

I want to fix the problem if its my fault, but how do we know it is? How do we know that the teller wasnt doing something dishonest.

Advice, suggestions? I plan to talk to the manager first thing in the AM as the bank is closed now-
N8

Upvote 0
OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Re: Bank error opinions-

Talking to the Manager, after pointing out that you honestly don't feel at fault with the teller verifying the stack in front of you and that anything could have occurred before the discovery of the 20 dollar bill, I'd stress that the bank should also be responsible for the error instead of them putting it all on you. Maybe offering to cover half of the loss, for no other reason than keeping up a good relationship with them, may be one way to go.

Hope you have good luck with the Manager.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Re: Bank error opinions-

dspeer83 said:
I used to be a vault teller at a bank and everyday at the end of the day each teller has to count their drawer and be balanced down to the cent. If they were over or under on their drawer it goes towards a running balance and if a teller were to reach a certain dollar amount they would be disciplined in some fashion. It could be possible that the tellers drawer was off and she thought you might not make a big deal of it since you deposited a decent amount of cash. I would talk to the manager in private and explain how the teller counted it in front of you, etc. They cannot take 80 dollars out of your account, it is their mistake once they hand you the deposit sl

This is correct.

How did it turn out?

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
After talking with the head teller I decided not to pay for the error. She said that ultimately the error is the tellers fault and not mine. She did say that the 20 that the teller claims to have been in my stack of 100s(in lieu of a 100) was the same color as a 100 and that it was hard to tell. I explained to her that I carry a high balance, and exchange tens of 1000s of dollars a week. i have no desire to rip the bank off by 80 dollars. I also stated how I do not think its very likely that I never noticed the 20 when I counted, nor the teller. When you go through a stack of new 100s, even and old 100 stands out like a sore thumb... a 20 DEF would stand out.

I told the head teller how I didnt want this to ruin my relationship with the bank as I have been very grateful they have been able to order coins for me. She then asked what I did with the coins, and I briefily explained(without detail).

All in all it went well. i did not give them more than the original money, however based off of the mood of the head teller I may have lost a pick up bank? We will see... the head teller said that she would rather write up the teller for losing 80 dollars than get negative customer feedback so maybe they will still order for me to keep me happy?
We will see-
N8

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it worked out for you N8, like you said hope it doesnt ruin your coin pick up relationship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread