When is a quarter not a quarter?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
As I tried to fall asleep last night, I was fretting about two things: One, why is Pitt favored over Navy on Wednesday? Now don't misunderstand, I am a Pitt fan, but Navy will give them fits. I'm a huge Air Force fan, and Navy has made the Falcons miserable for five years. The Academy teams play hard every down and I think Pitt will be crushed. So again, why is Pitt favored?
The second item that kept me awake was angst over where I should hunt at the silver farm this morning. I needed a little change of scenery and finally decided to go back in the woods, where a cottage once stood and stinging nettles now rule. I spent some time there, clearing brush and again finding nothing. It started to drizzle, so I left the woods and went next door to a cottage that was pretty productive this summer. Lots of wheats, a Barber quarter, an old Walker, rings, Roseys and at least one Merc, for example. I decided to hunt perpendicular to the direction I went last summer and started to gather a few things. First were two clad Roseys, then an assortment of old wheats (09, 1?, 27 and 31) and a sinker. Close to one of the wheats, I got a nice quarter signal and visions started to dance in my head. I've already found a Barber and Washington here, maybe this will be the SLQ! As you may have guessed by the title, it wasn't an SLQ, but a WLH! This very worn 17 Walker was masquerading as a quarter, and this is one time I wasn't disappointed! This is Walker #6 at the silver farm, and my second 17. Now, each of my kids has one of that date/mint. To complete the hunt, I added this aluminum religious medallion; some of you might be able to identify it for me.
If Navy beats Pitt, remember you heard it here first; if not, I'll modify my post and deny that I predicted otherwise ;D.
Navy wins, Pitt's braintrust chokes.

Attachments

• walksaint (2).jpg
    walksaint (2).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!

The medallion is:

Medal_3.jpg

Saint Benedict

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Congratulations on the 7th Walker from that spot!

Every time I see you find one of those it makes me more determined to try to find one myself!

Nice job!

Ridley

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Ridley said:
Congratulations on the 7th Walker from that spot!

Every time I see you find one of those it makes me more determined to try to find one myself!

Nice job!

Ridley
You know, they surprise me every time! All I can say is hunt old sites where silver is likely; eventually, you'll find a Walker. My ratio now is at least 5:1, Walkers to Franklins. Given those numbers, Franklins are a better find, though I'd rather find the Walkers ;D.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
You too, huh? Here is the link to my post from last Saturday, My WLH rang in as a quarter also. I see you are using a White's also, just wondering, what was your Preamp gain set at. On my Eagle Spectrum I was set at 6 (and I did not adjust my DC Sens) I think this is why mine showed quarter at less than an inch vs. a Half at 3 inches.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,112832.0.html

Excellent find, and keep pounding.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
nc-joe said:
You too, huh? Here is the link to my post from last Saturday, My WLH rang in as a quarter also. I see you are using a White's also, just wondering, what was your Preamp gain set at. On my Eagle Spectrum I was set at 6 (and I did not adjust my DC Sens) I think this is why mine showed quarter at less than an inch vs. a Half at 3 inches.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,112832.0.html

Excellent find, and keep pounding.
Uh oh, caught with my pants down. I turn the machine on and go, with no adjustments. My halves usually run 89-91, this was 87.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats alot of walkers from one site. Nice job.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats, halfdime, on another '17 Walker at your silver farm. I've said it before, I'll say it again....you've got one great site for finding the silver. Have you found much jewelry at that site?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Henry, I understand loosing sleep over where to hunt, but sports?! Not me. :) Football is the best though. Wish the Browns could get their act back together so I could enjoy them. Oh well, at least we have Ohio State. ;D

BTW - congrates on the WLH.

Bob

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Captn_SE said:
Congrats, halfdime, on another '17 Walker at your silver farm. I've said it before, I'll say it again....you've got one great site for finding the silver. Have you found much jewelry at that site?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
A few silver rings and lots of religious medallions, if they count as jewelry.

Mirage said:
Henry, I understand loosing sleep over where to hunt, but sports?! Not me. :) Football is the best though. Wish the Browns could get their act back together so I could enjoy them. Oh well, at least we have Ohio State. ;D

BTW - congrates on the WLH.

Bob
I was being a little facetious about the Pitt-Navy game ;D. A little.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're gonna have to change you name to half dollar! :o 8) :D

Beautiful find 1/2!!!! Congrats!!

Nana ;)

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: When is a quarter not a quarter? When is a coach an idiot?

Great find! Walkers are sweet!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Wow! Almost every Walker I've seen unearthed has been late 30's or 40's.

Yours is a '17(!) and in better shape than most of these that come up. Nice going!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Admiral de Salee said:
Wow! Almost every Walker I've seen unearthed has been late 30's or 40's.

Yours is a '17(!) and in better shape than most of these that come up. Nice going!
I found a pair of 17's and an 18S this year; otherwise, all of mine are from the '40's. I've never dug, or even seen, Walkers from the 20's and 30's. Curious. I just looked at a coin book and found an explanation: the 17 and 18S are the two highest Walker mintages until 1936, then they are very high in the '40's. I guess I'm overdue for a 36! This 17 is worn more than most I've found, so it probably lasted a long time in circulation before it was so graciously dropped at the silver farm ;D.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have found only 1 walker in 17 yrs of hunting... and from the sounds of it I did very well with it..mine is a '20.... found it is this really old church lot.. the church has been torn down for over 50 yrs.... the only prob is that old cemetary n church were very close together.... now the whole lot is fenced in and mowed together..... the township owns it and gave me permission to hunt the church part only.... which I did... I made extra sure not to even go near the graves part.... but a neighbor came by and kept harassing me.... n reported to the township that I was digging up graves there..... they came out and inspected it.... and confirmed that I had dug no where near the graves, but the lady kept complaining.... so I was told I couldnt come back until the lady was gone..... that was 5 yrs ago.... I have went in a few times since and pulled approx. 25 Wheaties.... 5 V Nickles... 1 Buffalo.... 1 Merc...(1917) and 15 IH's..... I know there is lots more there to find.... but gotta wait for the lady to die off, she may already be gone because no one has complained bout me being there since... but until I can confirm this, I dont hunt very long......... The crown jewel was the '20 walker....

P.S Before the cemetary debate rages on again..... I want to stress that I DID NOT swing even close to the graves...... you can clearly see where the church stood..... and I stayed around it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread