Basic signs and symbols you have found

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

Dear Gollum;
"In hoc signo vinces" means "By this (sign) we shall conquer". The phrase happens to be a Latin translation of the Greek phrase "εν τούτωι νίκα". As an aside, when I was still in school, the professor in my Latin class gave an exam and "In hoc signo vinces" happened to be one of the phrases on the test. I did not know the correct translation, so I instead wrote next the phrase, this English translation, "Wherever particular people congregate". The prof scratched his head for some time, trying to ascertain exactly how I arrived at such an incorrect, yet precisely worded translation. When asked, I pulled out a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes (red, naturally) and pointed to the lettering on the front of the pack. He laughed for years about that.

If the Society of Jesus wished to use the phrase "In hoc signo vinces" instead of the Latin letters IHS, they would have used the letters "ετν" which are the Greek letters for the original phrase. The letters IHS are the Latinized form of the letters "ΙΗΣ" which are the first 3 letters of the name "Jesus". The complete name is "ΙΗΣΟΥΣ" in classical Greek. In later times IHS was intrepreted as meaning "Iesus Hominum Salvator" or "Jesus, the savior of man(kind)". Still later, people have hypothesized that IHS means "In His Service" or "I Have Suffered". None of these interpretations are correct, however.

When the classical Greek letters becomes Latinized, that is, the original Greek wording remains the same, however the Greek alphabet is translated into the Latin alphabet, the name "ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ" in Greek becomes "IHSOYS XPISTOC" in old Latin or "IHCOYC XPICTOC" in Vulgate Latin. This means JESUS CHRIST using classical Greek words in order to pronounce the name in classical Greek while using the Latin alphabet to to aid in the correct pronounciation of the name. Please note that the letters "C" and the "S" in Latin are both pronounced the same, therefore they are often used interchangeably. This is why both IHS and IHC represent the same Christogram in Western Christianity.

Also, the Jesuits were not the first Christiansto use the Christogram IHS. This particular Christogram is one of the oldest Christograms in Christianity, with only the Chi-Rho being older. Chi-Rho, also called the Labarum, has been in constant use since the Emperor Constantine I and it signifies the first two letters of the name "ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ" in Greek, which in fact spells CHRIST. The X is superimposed below the P.

The mostly common Christogram used today is the abbreviation "Xmas". The X, also called the Chi in Greek, is the first letter of the name CHRIST, so literally it means CHRIST mas.

In regards to Fr. Charles Polzer, he never laid claim to any possession formerly in control by the Jesuits as there were never any possessions in control by the Jesuits. It's extremely difficult for a Jesuit priest to levy a valid claim against a goverment or national entity when:
A) The Society of Jesus never owned or operated any mines throughout it's history, from inception of the Order to the present day
and
B) The mine(s) never existed in the first place.
Fr. Polzer was never expelled from Mexico or anywhere else. As a point of fact, Fr. Polzer was honored on several occasions by the Mexican government for all of the exemplary work he performed there, and he was also knighted by the King Juan Carlos of Spain for his lifetime of accomplishments.

I do find it fascinating that conspiracy theorists tend to level outrageous claims against people who happen to be convienently deceased and therefore are unable to defend themselves. I challenge anyone to offer the first piece of factual evidence to back up their claim that Fr. Polzer attempted to make a claim against the Mexican government for a mine or anything else. This will not happen as no evidence exists, as the story is a complete fabrication.

With respect to all who wish to see this topic remain on course, this shall be my last post on said topic, however I do wish to make a request. I would like to ask that all posters on this thread please refrain from using the Jesuits as conspirators in a plot which never occurred, or which they had no part in, or attempt to portray them as radicals, either as individuals or as a group.

To all, "Palma non sine pulvere".
Your friend;
LAMAR

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Holy Smokes what happened to our classroom?? :'(

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want signs and symbols and I want them now! waa waa....I like all of the pretty pictures...Steve

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

here is a pack horse monument that caught my eye.

Attachments

• Pack horse 1.jpg
    Pack horse 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,318
  • Pack horse 2.jpg
    Pack horse 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,326

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dog said:
here is a pack horse monument that caught my eye.
Thanks Thom....I hope that we're back on track!...Steve

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Cynangyl said:
Holy Smokes what happened to our classroom?? :'(

Went to hell. Happens around here a lot it seems.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lamar,

In regards to Fr. Charles Polzer, he never laid claim to any possession formerly in control by the Jesuits as there were never any possessions in control by the Jesuits. It's extremely difficult for a Jesuit priest to levy a valid claim against a goverment or national entity when:
A) The Society of Jesus never owned or operated any mines throughout it's history, from inception of the Order to the present day
and
B) The mine(s) never existed in the first place.
Fr. Polzer was never expelled from Mexico or anywhere else. As a point of fact, Fr. Polzer was honored on several occasions by the Mexican government for all of the exemplary work he performed there, and he was also knighted by the King Juan Carlos of Spain for his lifetime of accomplishments.

Sorry again, but that was not a fable. It actually happened. Father Charles W. Polzer attempted to claim for the Church and the Order what for years he claimed was a figment of everybody's imagination.

Not only was he asked to leave the country, they lost his luggage at the airport!

One quick aside. What the man thought was Tayopa, was NOT, but apparently Father Polzer believed it!

Best-Mike

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

Thom!!
Your packhorse is Great!! Its nose points to what looks like an open mouth, or opening in this direction, am I right? Would it also mean that so many packloads are buried there? TD

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

This horse marks a very large expeditionary trail.
It isn't a treasure sign. I merely marks a good horse trail for riders and pack animals alike.
I think it is marking the passage of a large Franciscan expedition that came through here around 1776.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is too cool! maybe if you follow the pack trail you will see markers of other types though eh?

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cyndi,
This leads into the big well publicised Spanish Trail between Delta and Grand Junction CO.
It was popular with early settlers as the markers can still be seen from the valley for miles before you come to them.
They are mostly Cairns, stacked on the mountain tops and can be seen for miles from either direction.
The trail splits at the Utah border and goes on into Utah one way west and the other direction North It splits again just below the mountains again and goes over two passes. The first goes to the Northwest over Baxter pass and into Utah and comes out of the canyons just behind where present day Vernal Utah is.
The second trail goes over Douglas pass and through the "Canyon Pintado" (painted canyon). and comes out of the canyons just east of present day Rangley Colorado.
It turns West and joins back up with the first trail just past Vernal Utah.

I hope that is plain enough Details will make the story only longer and a bit more boring.
It was something I sorted out when I was a kid.
I walked the trails as I found them.

Thom

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Old Dog said:
lamar said:
Dear group;
No, I am not a Jesuit priest.

No I suspect you aren't.
But it is common knowledge that not all jesuits are priests.
And even when I was a kid I knew that not all jesuits wore robes.

please take all this to another thread.
It is off topic and unwanted.
GOWAY!LAMAR!!! Start your own thread and see how far it goes.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Old Dog said:
Cyndi,
This leads into the big well publicised Spanish Trail between Delta and Grand Junction CO.
It was popular with early settlers as the markers can still be seen from the valley for miles before you come to them.
They are mostly Cairns, stacked on the mountain tops and can be seen for miles from either direction.
The trail splits at the Utah border and goes on into Utah one way west and the other direction North It splits again just below the mountains again and goes over two passes. The first goes to the Northwest over Baxter pass and into Utah and comes out of the canyons just behind where present day Vernal Utah is.
The second trail goes over Douglas pass and through the "Canyon Pintado" (painted canyon). and comes out of the canyons just east of present day Rangley Colorado.
It turns West and joins back up with the first trail just past Vernal Utah.

I hope that is plain enough Details will make the story only longer and a bit more boring.
It was something I sorted out when I was a kid.
I walked the trails as I found them.

Thom

boring?? never!! I would love to walk those trails as well...too cool!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Wow. Thanks Thom for opening this thread back up to Spanish Signs & Symbols. I'd like to think that you opened it again at "my" humble request.... lol :tongue3:

I just knew LAMAR was in school as evidenced by a PM I sent Thom before coming here today and reading where LAMAR mentioned he was in school. I could tell by his passion, his willingness to debate this into the ground no matter what and his pitbull tenacity holding his viewpoint. I'm not trying to bash you kiddo, but you were steering this thread off course. Thom and the others that can post interesting Spanish pics did so to the education and delight of us others who came hear to see, read and learn about them. I understand the Jesuits may or may not have had a hand in things related here but reading 5 paragraph mini-essays, one after the other, on there activities was not interesting to anyone who participated in this thread along the lines of its original intent.

I too am an educated fellow and at one point held fast to my viewpoints and felt I could not be swayed by logic, retort, endless debating, et al. like you. That is a vicious circle that can go around and around for a long time. Sometimes funny, sometimes not, hopefully educational in the end. Believe me, once you get a few grays in your goatee like me it tempers you a little lol.

Thanks Thom for starting this again. Keep the pics and commentary coming.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

there were several who were concerned.
If I make a statement about something as controversial as the SJ, I won't do it without a bit of proof.
And yes I will say that the SJ did mine, they did hide treasure, and they did mark their stashes with signs that were in many ways different from normal Spanish. But as stated earlier this is for another thread as it is off subject here.
the subject here is Basic SPANISH signs not Jesuit.

Please note that my email is on my avatar. run a photo past me if you aren't sure it isn't Jesuit.
I will add though, that Jesuit signs are common on regular Spanish sites,
and if the other signs are Spanish post away. !!
The Jesuits traveled with the Spanish for many reasons.
Mostly I think it was to get their 10%...LMAO

So lets get back to having some fun.
This serious stuff has been a drag and almost ruined the thread.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

bah! can I have 10%?? lol Yes, let's get back to fun!!

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Dsty,

Sometimes just watching and photographing the faces of the marker over the course of a day will give detail not seen anyother way, try using a spray bottle with just plain water in it to change the surface color of the stone. if you pour some Clorox on the lichens they die and will come right off in a day or so.

There are all kinds of things that will work without using a broom or brush.
a chalked mark is good too if you can make it out.
But once you have the surface clean the negative image works best, I have found.

Thom

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City

At the request of Old Dog I am going to post this here as well. My brother found this sign here in Utah in the Diamond Fork Area near Spanish Fork Canyon. I have been reading a book by George A Thompson called "Lost Treasures on the Old Spanish Trail" and Diamond Fork as well as Spanish Fork Canyon are both mentioned as being on the Old Spanish Trail. It also discusses in the book a place called Teguayo which is said to be present day Utah Valley which had a lake called Copalla which very well could be Utah Lake as there was also another lake north of Copalla which was a Salt Lake, we know it as The Great Salt Lake. At any rate, please let me know what you think about this photo.

Attachments

• Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,181
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

What I like to do with all of these is to make them a negative image,
this makes any chisel marks or fresh breaks evident and sortable.
In a lot of cases it makes the graphiti easier to sort out.

Thom

Attachments

• indexCA2YVLQJ.jpg
    indexCA2YVLQJ.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,156

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City

bob631 said:
Hello Rrjwmam, I've seen these before, it looks an awful lot like a mexican sun face. Is there the remains of a hacienda in the vicinity? Could be your lost mine was mined by mexicans.....

I will have to ask my brother, but in a couple of weeks we will both be heading back to this spot and we can then do a more detailed search of the area. I will update everyone once we come back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread