Basic signs and symbols you have found

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

Dear group;
Pretaining to the use of signs as markers or indicators to guide a person to a hidden treasure, I have several questions, all of which I feel are ultimately unanswerable.

First, signs, symbols, markers, indicators and the like can be positively construed as icons. An icon is an image, representation, or or caricature that stands for an object or an idea by representation, either physically or by analogy.

A symbol is a simple single drawing or carving which represents either an obect, an idea or a message.
Symbols have used in a religious context since ancient man. Knowing this, we can research how symbols evolved, were utilized and what they came to represent.

To state that certain icons or symbols were in use by the Jesuits during the colonization of the Americas can be very misguiding at best. Jesuits have never been known to use icons which were ordained as holy symbols by the Holy See and there is a valid reason for this.

By the latter part of the Middle Ages, the Roman Catholic church perceived itself to be under threat from Western esotericism, which combined Christian theology with other practices such as astorology and alchemy into a sort of separate *church within a church* concept. The mainstream Roman Catholics branded the Western esoteric beliefs as hereitical to the teachings of the Roman Catholic church and as such, they were ever vigilant towards any individual or group who seemed to be practicing esotericism.

Western esotericism was based on the premise that only a small group of knowledgeable or *enlightened* people knew the docturines and symbology behind the beliefs. This is one of the reasons why the Holy See supported the disbandment of the Templars.

And so, with the threat of erotericism very real and very fresh in the minds of all Roman Catholic organizations, it makes no logical sense why a Roman Catholic religious order such as the Jesuits would resort to symbology which could have very easily been contrued as esoteric in nature.

Also, there has never surfaced a single scrap of historical documentation, nor shred of reputable evidence or fact that the Jesuits or any other Spanish or Portuguese settler had ever used any symbol, other than religious ones, in their daily lives for any purpose. Even the cattle brands were religious in nature and significance, so great was the preceived threat of esotericism. Why therefore, would someone expose oneself to the hazards of being declared a heretic when there were other, safer methods at hand of concealing a message?

Greek, Latin or Coptic acronyms were also very popular during the colonization of the Americas and virtually any hidden message would be revealed only as a simple religous message to the unititiated. This would have been a far safer method of transmitting a hidden message and much less likley to be guessed as to the true meaning of the message.

Why, then were acronyms not used? The simple answer is that acronyms were not used as secret codes simply there there was no secret code to begin with. The symbols which are seen on rock faces were not carved or chiseled by man, rather, they are geo-facts, items which were shaped by Mother Nature.

Also, as a matter of course, whenever a rock has been carved upon by a manmade object, the scar it leaves behinds remains fresh in relation to the surrounding host rock for at least a generation, and many times much longer. Therefore, it would have been quite easy for someone to find the freshly carved symbols and intrepret what their true meanings were.

Carvings in tree trunks would have been even more discernable, owing to the fact that trees are organic and everybody knows that something carved into a tree trunk would no longer be visible after a few decades due to tree growth, fires, harvestation, etc. Therefore how can one positively conclude that a symbol carved into a tree trunk was put there during the Spanish colonization era?

Geo-facts can often look as though they were carved by humans, when they were in fact carved by the natural course of errosion. It's often quite easy to view a surrounding formation and be able to tell from the surrounding structure whether a symbol is manmade or not.

And so, how can one be positive they are looking at an actual manmade symbol instead of a geofact?
First, view the surrounding rock formation. Is the host rock homogenous or layered? If it's layered then then it can be ascertained almost conclusively that the symbol is a geo-fact. in layered rock formations, the lighter materials errode away with time, leaving the more dense materials behind. For example, in well formed old granite geo-facts are almost never seen as the host rock is homogenous and very dense in construction and the superficial elements attacking the rock facings do so at an almost even rate, leaving behind relatively smooth surfaces.

The straight lines which have been gouged out and are plainly visible on layered rock are twin effects of mafic fusion and glacial errosion. As the material formed in the Earths' sub-stratus, lighter material became trapped between denser ones, causing formation banding. Wherever the pressure and/or temperatures varied, you will find discontinuities in the formation, such as peaks, ridges, swirls and waves.

Once the rock surface became exposed to the Earths' surface and the environment, it started being attacked by errosion immediately, and when an Ice Ages approached this process was greatly speeded up. As ice encroached upon the rock structure, it crept ahead at a infismal rate, slowly grinding out the lighter materials, then as the ice slowly receded it again scooped out even more of the lighter float materials, leaving behind deep grooves in the rocks' exposed surfaces.

Another fact which may lead to the conclusion that Spanish colonists did not carve symbols with hidden meanings into rocks or trees is to look at Spanish colonies in other areas. Carved symbols seem to be predominate in Mexico and the southwestern USA and they are nowhere to be found in either Central or South America, both of which had huge silver and gold deposits.

If it were only the colonists in question, then one may assume that perhaps it was only a regional thing and that not all colonists from other parts of world would indulge in symbol carving, however this is not the case here. Because jesuits were supposedly involved, this leads one to conclude that anything a Jesuit group did in one area, another Jesuit group would do in another.

This is because all Jesuits attended one sole Seminary and they all were taught the same tenants and docturines. Therefore, one could positively state that if a froup of Jesuits were hiding gold and silver in other area and marking the caches with hidden symbols, then they would be doing it everywhere.

This of course, did not happen and in fact the only symbology discovered thus far in South America precludes Columbus. That the indigenius peoples carved the symbols is immediately obvious and they can in no way be construed as geo-facts. Even the meanings of some pre-Columbian carvings can be guessed at with some measure of accuracy.

And now, the last question in the chain of evidence. IF the Jesuits did indeed incorporate a secret coded set of symbols and IF they in fact carved these same symbols onto the faces of rocks and tree trunks, and knowing that they left behind no historical records of the meanings of these symbols, how come there are so many experts who can intrepret the meanings of these symbols as easily as they can read a book?

For an example of the difficulty involved in interpretting a set of symbols, let us look to the Egyptian hieroglyphs. For centuries scholars had been trying to decipher the hieroglyphs of the ancient Egyptians, and it wasn't until 1822 that the first few hieroglyphs could be translated with any degreee of certainity, and this was only because of the discovery of the Rosetta Stone which was uncovered in 1798.

Even with the Rosetta Stone in possession, the hierogyphics remained a mystery until 24 years later, and please bear in mind that the Rosetta Stone was written (carved) with the same sentences into not two but THREE different languages of the day, Eygptian hieroglyphs, Egyptian Demotic AND in classical Greek! This should act as a guide as to the incredible difficulties one faces when attempting to translate a thought or idea into a modern meaning. This difficulty would be compounded many times if the symbols in question were in secret code and each symbol had a secret meaning. Therefore how could one even begine to translate the meanings of a code which was written over five hundred years ago?
Your friend;
LAMAR

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

dsty, this is the original slim face site. The one I thought might be a trap. But probably is not. However some sort of activity went on there, I am sure, given the pattern of wear on the ground and various formations and perhaps a marker or two.

Those apes - heh... trying to make a monkey out of me! Anyway monkeys perhaps from further south? But I would need some evidence before making such a leap and I do not have a shred of evidence of that right now.

This formation can not be seen or made sense of right up close except possibly to see how the bottom of the tail feathers, if that is what they are, were formed and clean split off a rock. But is quite visible from the trail in where one has a higher view.

Lost my compass..and (did not have my backup!) so was not able to measure.

Lamar, you bring up some good points that I will respond to later. However the one thing that comes to mind is that everybody else loved symbolism for a while. I'm thinking during the 1700's perhaps? there were some famous and wonderful allegorical symbolic books from that time from Europe.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear desertmoons;
As always, I welcome clean, non religious, factual based debates on a wide range of subjects. I support my theory that all photos posted thus far are either geo-facts or modern manmade symbols.

Let's take the photo which bob631 so thoughtfully provided. It actually IS a sign. it's a sign that volcanic activity had occurred some millenia back in time. The photos of the rock facing showing a circle is in fact a natural vent hole caused by super heated steam rising through the still soft silica. At a later time the hole was filled in with lighter materials and then solidified.

If we examine the area in the photo which immediately surrounds the circle, we can see fracture lines around the periphery of the circle. These lines in fact cut through the circle and exit the opposite side cleanly. These fracture lines are evidence that the occurrance was natural and not manmade.

Also, there exists no supporting evidence that there were any radical Jesuits in the New World. That the Jesuits were, and still are, considered to be one of the most liberalistic Orders within the Roman Catholic church played a large part in their eventual expulsion from the Spanish and Portuguese colonies. Just the opposite is true in regards to converting the natives to Christianity.

As a point of fact, the Jesuits,all while maintaining a strict Christian focus, did little to halt the worship of non-Christian dieties of the native populace. Officially they condemned these practices, while in practice they tended to turn a blind eye to the proceedings, and in many instances incorporated Christianity into local beliefs, feeling that this would ease the burden of transition into Christianity.

A wonderful example of this method can be seen in modern day voodoo practiced in the Carribean islands. Jesuits ran missions throughout the Carribean islands and ministered to both the colonists and the slaves equally. It is from these efforts that voodoo arose, blending Western European Christian beliefs with African pagan beliefs. After the explusion of the jesuits from the Carribean islands, the slaves rounded rejected the hardline views of the Domincians who replaced them and the slaves continued practicing voodoo in secret.

So, when we look at a voodoo ritual, what we are actually witnessing are the very first steps to Christian conversion which never matured and as such, has remained locked in time.
Your friend;
LAMAR

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

I am 110% Traditional Catholic, here and the world to come. I admit that my Church has problems, but these problems come from Man. Not from the "Bride of Christ" itself! That is why Christ showed us that Man, "Peter" could and would deny Him. But to get back to this thread.... The circle in the picture is manmade, just look at all the signs around it! TD

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

lamar,

please start a new thread such as "jesuit did not use signs" and have the discussion there. This thread is not the place for it as it is off topic.

Thanks!
DM

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DM, DSTY, and TD,

Don't be so quick to jump on Lamar. I have done the same thing on threads where I believed eroneous information was being posted. Even though he is wrong. He may not be 100% wrong! While I might not try to put a brand on every picture I see, there are some pictures of interesting rocks that are, in the words of J. Scott Wood, the result of "fortunate erosion."

His statement about them also being "modern manmade symbols" holds some water as well. I don't remember exactly where the post was, but someone posted a picture of a huge rock panel, that was literally covered in signs/symbols. The poster later stated that his Uncle admitted to him that in the 1960s, he had carved many of the symbols on the panel. Another example of this is the famous "Peralta Trail Map" in the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. Hoodlums and old Dutch Hunters have added and destroyed much of the original map, so that what you see right now is nothing like the original. So, Lamar's views do have a place in this thread. If you don't welcome opposing views, then you fall to the level of another poster (no names mentioned) that I know posts complete BS. He doesn't welcome any opposition.

Ahhhhh Lamar,

You state:
As always, I welcome clean, non religious, factual based debates on a wide range of subjects. I support my theory that all photos posted thus far are either geo-facts or modern manmade symbols.

You seem to be stuck on Jesuit Signs/Symbols like rangler (but with an opposing view). The signs shown are from a number of sources. Over a great period of time. AmerIndian, Spanish, Jesuit (yes Jesuit), Mexican, Early White American, more modern American, and yes......Fortunate Erosion.

Not all signs/symbols/monuments lead to treasure. By far, the greatest majority of them are only trail markers, guides to water (which was as valuable as gold in the desert), and good campsites.

If you know anything, you know that period maps are notoriously inaccurate. Don't you think that even the Jesuits would monument trails to guide travelers from one Mission to another? Think you could navigate your way from Los Angeles to Santa Fe using only local roads (no freeways)? I highly doubt it. How tough would it be to RIDE A HORSE from Mexico City to Tucson without markers to show the trail? It would be more than tough. It would be next to impossible. .....and remember, you are not navigating from place to place, but water source to water source, to get from place to place!

As far as symbols go.....if you see a red octagonal sign, is it really necessary to read the word STOP? Don't you know what it means by the color and shape? The big "X" near railroad crossings?

Do you think that street signs and road markers are modern creations? Sorry, no. They have been used since the prehistory. Sometimes they were notches in a tree along a trail through the woods. Sometimes they were rocks stacked in a certain way. Sometimes they were carvings in trees and rocks.

I agree that many could be the result of "fortunate erosion", or modern day creations.

WOW! Just had a crash. None of my right or left click buttons worked on my mouse of laptop (driver issue). At least I got this out before I had to reboot.

The only way to convince people like Lamar that signs are not natural or modern is to show what they lead to. Explain how they are man made and could not be modern. My best example of this is my 50 foot tall Heart on a Mountain:

bigheart2pmqh7.jpg

I might have dismissed this as fortunate erosion, except that two BIG things caught my eye:

lineup1hr2.jpg

nexttoshaft1xi5.jpg

The first picture is the line of boulders that form the upper left lobe of the heart. They serve two purposes. They form the lobe, and after about 2:30PM they cast a shadow over the heart making it almost impossible to discern (unless you know it's there).

The second picture is a small cross carved into one of the boulders lower on the cliff face. The rock is mostly sandstone, and the cross is mostly weathered away.

How do I know this is man made?

If you know anything about Desert Varnish, you know that it only forms on EXPOSED surfaces of desert rocks, and it forms over a period of thousands of years (if you don't know what desert varnish is, Google it). The Desert Varnish is the dark coating on the rocks. Notice how the DV coating is even on the unexposed undersides of the lobe boulders? Those 8 foot diameter rocks were moved to that location. They were placed in a very specific way. The angle of the face makes it virtually impossible that they naturally rolled into that formation.

There is also DV in the carved groove that forms the remainder of the heart.

How do I know the cross is not modern?

I don't for 100% certain. The severe weathering and location of the monument itself tell me that it is old. As many times as I have been there since I found the heart, I have never seen another human being in the area. It is in a very remote desert area. The Summer temps can get into the high 120s, with ground temps (on the rocks) in the 140s. Its' not much better in the Winter. It's not a recreation area (except for me).

Maybe I should explain a little about how the Heart Monument works:

You must be in a certain position to look at it. You come through the proper low pass, and you are right in front of it. If you are more than 15-20 degrees to either side of it, you can not see it.

If you get there before 10AM, the sun is projecting right at it. There is no shadow in the carved groove that makes the heart, so it is not visible. If you get there after about 2:30, the stacked boulder over the left lobe cast a shadow over the entire face of the heart. That destroys all the heart's details, making it almost invisible.

What does it lead to? Quien Sabe? I don't know everything, but I know what I know.

Best-Mike

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear tesoro dog;
I am quite happy that you are 110% Catholic my friend, however this is beside the point. This is about accusations leveled at a certain group of people without a single shred of hard evidence to back it up.

Now, on to the discussion. The circle in bob631s' photo is definitely a geo-fact. Look closely at the fractures as they enter the circle. Now follow the fractures through the circle and note how they exit the circle. If this circle was carved by man then the circle would be completely smooth and free of fractures. That the fractures pass from one side of the rock facing to the other and through the circle is the process is proof positive that what we are looking at is a geo-fact, my friend.

Now, look closely at the rim of the circle and you will notice a thin band of porous material surrounding the circle. This is the outline of the circle and the reason why it is porous is because the escaping vapor starting cooling and solidifying at this point. This is the transitional area of the vapor pipe and it's the point where the vapor still has enough pressure and is still hot enough to continue upwards, yet not hot enough to continue expanding outwards.

It's inside of these porous banded areas that one can find certain semi-precious stones if the host material is properly composed and the banding is wide and deep enough to support the formation of carbon based crystals.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other

Bob361....that pic looks familiar....poss on the side of the road on 141 i think....

DW

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other

Lamar...

Opinions are just that and we all have them. I do not believe that other than their distinctive black robes and wide brim hats that the SJ's were just
ministering to the uneducated masses. A lot of things in the outback can be attributed to mother nature whom in her own right is an amazing artist.
I tend to dismiss until i see a pattern develop....or see chisel marks as mother nature used heat....pressure...wind..rain..etc. to make her master pieces.

I have always wondered if the SJ's were but mere men of the cloth who dedicated their life to ministering to the masses why they were from such diverse
cultural back grounds....and so highly learned in engineering and such for men and or padres of their day....

Father Kino was such a wonderful cartographer and thanx to him and Lt. Manje we have excellant records of his journeys in the area....i however do not believe
they did not cross the gila (jila back then) river and push north along the 2 natural paths of water being the aqua fria and the hassayampa rivers. And this thought stems from things i have seen or found along that route over the years.

I have come to the realization that the spanish all groups considered....were modern graffitti artists with a chisel as apposed to a can of spray paint...and the ancients did all or most of the carvings that one can see in kenworthy's first book. Bob361's picture is intrigueing for me as i have seen what the rest of the board has not seen....the rest of the immediate area....which to the watchful eye will astound in the amount of ancient carvings...sun signs....directional markings and such.

It is my opinion and my opinion only that the SJ's most certainly at least on some small scale dabbled in the mining of the new world to add to the coffers of the mother church....and i also believe that not all of god's soldiers wore black as well....

DW

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lamar,

I almost forgot! If you REALLY think the Jesuits did not own nor operate Gold/Silver Mines in the New World, maybe you should read "Luz de Tierra Incognita". It is a translation of Capt. Juan Mateo Manje's diary of his travels with Padre Eusebio Kino.

In it, he writes of visiting Jesuit Mines.

I believe him, because he was there.

Best-Mike

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear group;
Even though I strongly feel that this is NOT the topic to discuss Jesuit missionary during the colonization of the New World, I would like to take this oppurtunity to clear up a few myths regarding this particular Order.

The Society of Jesus, often abbriviated as SI, which stands for Societas Iesu in Latin, is sometimes abbriviated as SJ, however purists such as myself frown upon the English usage. Their acronym is IHS is a trigram which represents the first three letters of the name Jesus in classical Greek. Also, attached to the crossbar of the letter H is a cross.

The Jesuits were sometimes known as the foot soldiers of the Pope because it's founding member, St. Ignatius was a knighted nobleman before becoming an ordained priest. This description of the Jesuits was metaphorical in nature, as the Jesuits NEVER armed themselves or handled weapons. This remains true to this day.

The backgrounds whence came the Jesuits in the very early Rennasence period were very similiar in nature, as virtually all of them came from the ranks of the lower nobility, as attending semanaries were not free and the families of the attendees had to pay for their sons attendence.

The Jesuits have never maintained a standard of dress. This holds true for the entire existence of the Order, however, over time many Jesuits took to wearing black. The reason for this remains unclear, however it has been surmised that perhaps they chose black because the color didn't show dirt or wear as vividly as other colors.

Only about half of the Jesuits wore black. The others mostly favored shades of brown with a few wearing gray, probably to break up the monotony a bit. The only prohibited colors were purple and red, as far as I know, as purple was reserved for the Pope and red was reserved for cardinals, which is where the red colored bird gets it's name from.

As far as wide brimmed hats are concerned, many Jesuits wore wide brimmed high crowned straw hats to shield themselves from the sun, however they did only wore them in the hotter climes of the New World and a few sported them in the missions of Africa. The small round crowned flat wide brimmed felt black hats commonly associated with the Jesuits was in fact never worn by them. Instead it was worn by Monsigneurs and Bishops of the era in Europe and it may still be seen in usage throughout some parts of Europe by the more traditional clergy.

One of the primary tenants of the Jesuit society is that of teaching. The Jesuits were formed as an instructional Order and they played a leading role in ushering in the Rennasence period. Their ranks were swelled with scientists of every discipline and formal instruction in a college or university setting was their fortay. Again, this holds true to this day and the Jesuits are known as leading professors and scientists throughout the world. They particularly excel in the fields of medicine, astonomy, astro-physics, agriculture and geology.

I hope this clears up a few misconceptions about the Societas Iesu, or the Society of Jesus, inEnglish.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear Gollum;
As a point of fact, I DID read Luz de la Tierra Incognita, only I didn't read a translation of the text, rather I read a photocopy of the ORIGINAL text, and in the original text, nowhere does Capitan Manje state that the silver mines which he visited were owned by the Jesuits, rather the native miners were looked after and cared for by the Jesuit missionaries. This is quite a bit different than stating that the Jesuits either owned or operated the mines. In fact, Capitan Manjes lists the owners of the various mines by name and town or district in which they resided.

Also, accompanying Capitan Manjes was Fr. Kino and his entourage to act as guides. The original maps included in the text were most likely drawn by none than Fr. Kino himself, who was a highly accomplished astronomer, cartographer and mathematician.

It is also a well documented fact that Fr. Kino was continually at odds with the colonial mine owners for their bad treatment of the native miners and it was because of his constant interdiction that the mine owners soon grew angry with Fr. Kino and supporters and they contrived to have the Jesuits expelled from the New World colonies.
Your friend;
LAMAR

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

Lamar!! Welcome!!
1. Traditional Catholic, not the watered down, confused, liberal, novus order they give us today.
2. Cracks in stone were incorporated into symbols and signs, to represent rivers, streams, washes, and trails.
3. Also I think Gollum, was trying to tell you, that if you chip away the desert varnish, you would find that the entire inner stone would be the same color and composition as the exposed stone in the circle. This stone is not a natural vent.
4. No signs are OK for exploring, but Dead Reckoning A to B without signs would get you killed.
5. Stomper talked about sun and shadow signs, around the area, and there are some on this stone.
6. As for the Jesuits, there have been Anti-Popes, and as I stated before, Man is corruptable and Will deny Him. I don't believe they were corrupted to the man, but in all things evil lurks.

Thanks, TD

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear group;
Am I to believe that the lighter central material inside of the circle is NOT a natural occurance??? From the photo, it looks as if the lighter colored material is a variety of material that was at one point in time, mud. After it filled the vent, it in turn soldified into rock.

Am I also to believe that this material solidified within the span of a few hundred years? Gentlemen, please!!! I was born at night, only it was not last night. The Earth moves on a clock that is far different from our own. In order for soft pliable material to properly solidify it takes millenia upon millenia. We speak of strata as new if it is *only* several million years old, yet from I am reading, this hole was somehow gouged out of solid rock then material either was inserted into the opening or was placed there by Mother Nature, then solidified within a span of 500 years?

Does anyone besides myself realize the difficulty in drawing a perfect circle, much less trying to chisel out a perfect circle from solid stone? A person doesn't have to be a Michelangelo to immediately see that any attempt to do so would be to invite fractures and inconsistencies within the surface and sub-surface of the structure, owing to the fact that so many natural fractures are pre-existing in the stone.

That there are chisel marks around the periphery of the circle in no way concludes that the circle is anything other than a natural occurrence gentlemen. Most likely some bored miner attempted to chisel the lighter central material out of the stone and gave up soon thereafter.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear group;
No, I am not a Jesuit priest.

Unfortunately, at this point in time the Internet is a terrible source for historical research, mostly due to the fact that there is a veritable mountain of information to catalog, translate and enter into databases and all of this must be completed by hand, ie typing and scanning. To date, only a fraction of the worlds' historic documents have been available online.

To more fully illustrate my point, the Vatican Film Libaray in St. Loius, Mo. houses some 37,00 complete works recorded on microfilm from the Vatican archive complex. This is less than FIVE PERCENT of the total documentation which is housed the Vatican archives. The Vatican Film Library has only just begun posting a few of it's popular manuscripts online. Unless there are some huge advancements in computer storage technology, it will take decades to make available the entire Vatican Film Library online.

In the meantime, research must be done the old fashioned way. Hour after hour of sitting in uncomfortable chairs in drafty libraries, translating from Latin, bad lighting, bad handwriting, illedgible and damaged pages, etc.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

lamar said:
Dear group;
No, I am not a Jesuit priest.

No I suspect you aren't.
But it is common knowledge that not all jesuits are priests.
And even when I was a kid I knew that not all jesuits wore robes.

please take all this to another thread.
It is off topic and unwanted.

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

I gotta say it, Maybe he has moved on to the knights of the golden _ _ _ _ _ _! TD

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

this happens every time Lamar posts.
I am wondering if he isn't SWR with a different user name.
He delights in turning a useful thread into cr@p.
It just happens every time, he adds nothing useful.

and no help from a moderator.
he had nothing but garbage to add and has only given trash to an otherwise educational thread.

what a sad ending to an otherwise worthy idea,

Thom

I hope I am not sorry for unlocking this thread.
The topic is Basic Spanish signs you have found.
I am happy to discuss all the signs that are posted and will entertain the aspects of all these signs.
but I will not allow the thread to be corrupted by garbage that doesn't pertain.
If it does I'll lock it up and walk away.

T

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Folks,

I think you have Lamar all wrong. I doubt sincerely that he is SWR. SWR posts things that are most usually wrong and easy to counter with known facts. Lamar is very well versed in Jesuit History. He is not always correct, but he is more often correct than not.

I was always told that IHS stood for In Hoc Signo Vinces?

He is absolutely correct about the internet. Don't rely on much of what you read there/here! ;D Go to original sources, or translations of original sources.

Where we come to separate paths is in regards to Jesuit Mining and Treasure. He says NO, and I say YES!

Not only did Manje write of visiting Jesuit Mines, he gave testimony against the Jesuits to that effect.

Lamar,

I have said this more than a few times on various forums, and also on my website. People's actions speak MUCH louder than their words. I take what people say with a grain of salt. What I look for is how they act. I'm sure you know who Father Charles Polzer SJ was (now deceased). He was the most renowned historian of the Jesuits in Nueva Espana, Pimeria Alta specifically (correct me if I'm wrong). It looked like all of his drive was dedicated to getting Padre Kino canonized. But...................that's another story..................

Father Polzer was the world's greatest antagonist of anybody who believed in Jesuit Mining and Treasure. He was dismissive and downright rude. He examined many silver and gold bars said to be of Jesuit Origin. He always found them to be forgeries. He noted in his books without equivocation that Jesuits NEVER owned nor operated ANY gold or silver mines in the New World (this is an IMPORTANT sentence, so I will repeat it......He noted in his books without equivocation that Jesuits NEVER owned nor operated ANY gold or silver mines in the New World.

With this in mind, I give you a little story about Father Polzer. An acquaintance of Father Polzer knew a man who told him that he had found the lost mine of Tayopa in Sonora. The man was so certain of the fact, that he convinced Father Polzer's acquaintance. When the acquaintance told Father Polzer about this, Polzer immediately flew down to Sonora with his friend, and claimed the site for the Catholic Church and the Jesuit Order. He made such a stink of his claim, that the Mexican Government kicked him out of the country! Now, Father Polzer had spent years claiming that places such as Tayopa DID NOT EXIST, but the moment he really thought it had been found, he couldn't get down there to claim it fast enough.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best-Mike

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Gollum,
With utmost respect to you, I don't think anyone disputes the value of having discussion or debate on the veracity of signs and symbols, nor in discussing the cultural and historical context that either lends credence to, or casts a pall on the whole idea.

But this particular thread is not the place for it,as it is moving it off topic. I will start another thread so that a robust discussion can have the focus it so richly deserves and which will prove beneficial for the participants. And I have a few thoughts of my own to add, for sure. :)

I did not intend to come across insulting nor am writing lamar off. Simply put, lets discuss it elsewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions