Basic signs and symbols you have found

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice that the helmeted face high on the right wall changes to an owl in a very few steps and a change of view of only a few degrees as shown in these two pics.

First photo shows this,

The Creek Merged.jpg

Then a few steps closer and the new view produces these changes.

The Creek (2) Merged.jpg

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the canyon from the inside. The outline of Mr. Madness is still there. I don't see the pass as being entirely hand cut. Maybe modified but, still the original path. From the inside: on my right is the end of the canyon. This end wall is what turns the creek to it's current direction. The walls are 75-90% of verical for several yards to my left. Then the walls begin to decrease in angle for a quite way. This trickle is all there is of the flow under normal conditions.

The next picture is outside the canyon but, very near to it. It is a sign for me to 'step off'. !8" range with a little bit o' zoom. I have him on video. He was NOT happy with me ;)

I do not have record of any headings. Those were not considered at the time. The pool does seem strange. Probably best viewed from the top. I fail to see where the rest of the stff fits in.

Attachments

• HereKittyKitty.jpg
    HereKittyKitty.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 876
  • Mr Madness.jpg
    Mr Madness.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 900
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks for the change in direction Mike,
this answered my biggest question.
Below is the one sign in the small canyon I will attribute to the Spanish.
Shown in your pictures from both sides.

Attachments

• The Creek (2).JPG
    The Creek (2).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 879
  • Mr Madness.jpg
    Mr Madness.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 871

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Took a close look and spotted some things. Most could be clouds but the original will show them better. Having trouble getting the picture up. will work on it.

Attachments

• Mr-Madness.jpgreturn.jpg
    Mr-Madness.jpgreturn.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 877

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog:
The way you posted those 2 photos kinda brings up a good point. Looking OUT, that pointer stone really stands out and the mad guy isn't evident; at least to me. But, that looking in shot has the mad guy REALLY prominent and the pointer is not so obvious as a pointer. Do you think the view with the mad guy is saying, " NOT THIS WAY, DUMMY. TURN AROUND!" Looking outward, he is keeping a low profile, so to speak, and letting the pointer have the most attention.
Did I explain that right, or have I confused you? LOL I agree, BIT, about those walls looking a little unnatural. Since the Spanish tried to cover or destroy the Ancients' marks and monuments; I wonder if those areas on the banks with the muddy globs are covering anything OLD. Well, just musing. Perhaps those figures that appear in the "looking in" shots are left over from the Old Ones.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bill,
Honestly think the mad guy is ancient.
and yup, the Spanish were all over him.
They usually were. I FIRMLY believe they chased the ancient.
Just as hard as we chase them.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mug Shots and Puddle

Three close-ups. Since I can't post the original size, I just cropped portions of the OPs. Also, there is a nice ledge above the puddle. I wonder......I never did stick my hands under there. Remember, when the turtles eyes are closed, you are there. Maybe this holds true for monuments as well. We won't know for sure about this one until I search beneath that ledge. Maybe I'll find a clue or something.

Attachments

• FaceObverse.jpg
    FaceObverse.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • FaceReverse.jpg
    FaceReverse.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • DrippingLedge.jpg
    DrippingLedge.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 835

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind in Texas:
I adjusted the lighting and contrast a little bit and found some interesting things. I use the color yellow for most of my markups because that color usually gives the best contrast so the indicating lines and arrowheads don't get lost in the background.
I've tagged the things for ease of eval. The second pic is a black and white negative to help bring out those symbols a little better.

FaceObverse Merged.jpg

FaceReverse Merged.jpg

DrippingLedge Merged.jpg

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting to note that this site is in Texas. Part of Fransico de Coronado's proposed route was through the upper Texas panhandle. This site is approximately 200 miles, +/- a few, of the proposed route. I have seen it written that there are two versions of his route once he crossed into modern Texas.

It is written by one de Soto's scribes that a couple of his men covered an 80 league mission, round trip included, in eleven days. This is in addition to having collected six mule loads of salt crystals and one mule load of resplendent brass once they were at the site. Obviously, that was not the yellow metal he sought but, I suspect it was useful nonetheless.

Therefore, it is NOT impossible that Coranado's men made a trip this direction and left a mark. However, this does not mean that I believe he, or his proxies, were responsible for this. This wonderful work of art could be the result of an aspiring modern day artist. Keeping an open mind, and being objective, should be the method of this particular madness.

It is also interesting to remember that Coronado returned to Mexico injured, somewhat ill, and financially disabled. His expedition left him bankrupt for the rest of his life, or so I have read. MY theory is that IF he, or his proxies, found any precious metal it would not have not have been left behind since, the expedition was financially suffering anyway. I also find it hard to believe that the stack of rocks in the foreground were the work of hands 470 years gone. I would think there would have been enough gully-washers in the 4.5 centuries since then to clear a few rocks.

This area of Texas on recieves 10" of rainfall annually. Maybe there is hope after all, that they would survive. The bottom line will be whether or not the proposed 'signs' lead to something of value. That 'something' could be another sign, loot, or just he plain old knowledge that what I saw was just a wonderful image occuring in nature and that I was fortunate enough to have been able to place it in a beautiful frame on my wall.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I must agree Mike,

some of the greatest treasure we find as hunters,
tend to be the memories and pictures we collect over a lifetime.

They tend to be the only real proof that we have seen what we speak of.

With the evidence of the ancient here it wouldn't surprise me that if not Coronado's bunch other Spanish may have chased it.
I haven't found much of the ancient that hasn't been altered, destroyed or marked as having been followed by the Spanish in some way. They had charts and waybills that told them the routes and signs to look for.

awesome stuff, thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Posted this on another thread.
But it is a very important thing to look at, and should be here as well.

The number 4 as shown will be a very rarely used sign as it is a very confusing configuration.
Kenworthy described it best so I will use his description as the example.

Attachments

• # 4 by Kenwothy.jpg
    # 4 by Kenwothy.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 811
  • # 4 by Kenwothy.jpg
    # 4 by Kenwothy.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 756

uthunter

Sep 7, 2010
Cache County, Utah
The Spanish and other travelers before them, may have very well learned the meanings of the monuments and other signs of the ancients from their travels in other parts of the world. When the expeditions arrived in the Americas, the recognized the monuments and such from earlier travels and just took it from there.

You can see some of the very same monuments in many different parts of the world.

Definitely intriguing.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
binocs 073 copy.jpg

(c)copyright 2003 rangler-all rights reserved

you are right on track ut hunter
these things are interconnected and woven together in ways we will probably never know, but
the mystery is compelling....
rangler

Attachments

• binocs 073 copy.jpg
    binocs 073 copy.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 947

uthunter

Sep 7, 2010
Cache County, Utah
Saw a program either History or the Discovery channel today about Palau, and the archeologist hosting it stated that the ancient peoples of Palau used the owl symbol to signify of death.

I wonder if the ancients in the U.S. used the same meanings for their monuments that were used in other parts of the world. If they applied the same meaning, then all the ancient owl monuments/symbols signify death, that means there was a whole lot of death they saw (in one way or the other).

Hmmmmm...............

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
ut,
the owl is an iconic symbol from early man to biblical days and beyond. Most cultures took or put their own significance or meaning to this creature...
articles-Owl+Mythology-Myth+and+Culture-1.jpg

This petroglyph, the 'Spedis Owl' was salvaged from along the Columbia River just before The Dalles Dam flooded the area in 1956. This carving is on display at Horsethief Lake State Park, Washington.*

consider:
A it was a night hunter
B it's special feathers made it silent
C It's talons are razor sharp
D it was flying, silent death

A scary concept no matter where you lived, not so much as they saw a lot of death just a powerful symbol OF death..
The Apaches felt it signified death and to see one in the daytime could be an omen of impending death
The Jesuits took the old world suspiciousness of the owl and used it as symbol of 'something unclean'
and not to be touched, as the Hebrew law ordered this animal to be left alone and not fit for food...
coupled this with a secondary meaning of 'cache' as in 'leave this cache alone'. The third meaning of the concept of Trinity that the codemakers used was of course...Wisdom as in , you would have to be wise to solve the codes and even if you did....it would not be wise..under the penalty of Death. or as they phrased it at the time....."under the pain of spain" and who knew more about pain than masters of the Inquisition ?!
rangler

*According to an Indian legend, the 'Spedis Owl' carving was placed on a rock to serve as a protector from the 'water devils' and monsters that could pull a person into the water. The owl on a rock may have also indicated the ownership of that location for fishing.

Photographer: Ralph Turner All images subject to © Copyright

aztreasure

Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Old Dog said:
When looking at books especially on the signs and symbols of any given people, I try to get the ones that are new and truly Representative of a new and fresh line of thought that is grounded in truth and sound research.

from my experience when books on signs and symbols are concerned there are very few that aren't reworded copies of another persons work, this kind of book is a waste of time and money. Best bet is to find the original author and enjoy what they had to present.

Listen to the opinions of others and be careful to sift the info gleaned from what you read. It may be site specific or it may have no basis in fact.

Keep reading and keep learning.
Follow the trails and have fun.
The best teacher is boots on the ground and time.

This is awesome advice, Thom, all around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions