Beach and Field...Success at Both (Rev. War Loyalist Button!!!) UPDATE

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the road before sun up this morning and decided to try Cannonball Beach. I haven't been there is about a month so I figured I was past due. I got the usual musket balls and also a 30 lb chunk of mortar. I usually leave the mortar pieces on the beach but this one was found within 20 feet of the 28 lb piece I found last February so I thought there would be a good chance that they would mate up...and they did! Next time out I'm going to concentrate on that one area and see if I can find the rest...I'm a quarter of the way there.

On the way back to town I saw that one of my fields had just been harvested (beans) so I decided to give it a shot. This is the field that Patriot and I hunted this past spring. When we were there the field had just been plowed but the furrows were very high. With the beans just off it was flat ground. Finds started popping out right away. Several musket balls, a couple loom or net weights, some spoon frags, two coins (a worn French liard and what I think is a worn George II) and an as yet to be identified military button. Update:Identified as a King's American Dragoon bridle rosette or hat button! It was a good hunt!

Attachments

• DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • DSCF0108.JPG
    DSCF0108.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,917
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,917
  • DSCF0113.JPG
    DSCF0113.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,943
  • DSCF0125.JPG
    DSCF0125.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,947
  • DSCF0110.JPG
    DSCF0110.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,269
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beach and Field...Success at Both (Rev. War Loyalist Button!!!)

Sweet button Romeo :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's funny to think of the rarity of this compared to something like a CW eagle button. You could probably start filling bath tubs with all the eagle buttons that exist, but you could probably quite easily hold all the KA Dragoons buttons that exist in one hand. Hows that for perspective. :laughing7:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
It's funny to think of the rarity of this compared to something like a CW eagle button. You could probably start filling bath tubs with all the eagle buttons that exist, but you could probably quite easily hold all the KA Dragoons buttons that exist in one hand. Hows that for perspective. :laughing7:

Now I have the scene from History of the World Part II in my head...Treasure Bath!!

BTW awesome button...I would not clean but hell I've never found an awesome button before...

NJ

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can see the details. You know what it is. Don't clean it..It looks great just the way it sits. Iron Patch put that into perspective. That is a rare keeper. Congrats on a great find.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zaxfire69 said:
You can see the details. You know what it is. Don't clean it..It looks great just the way it sits. Iron Patch put that into perspective. That is a rare keeper. Congrats on a great find.

Probably good advice. I learned early that cleaning can be a help or a hindrance. The only thing that I've done so far is to dry brush with with a soft bristle tooth brush...no water, nothing. Still, it looks like there may be some detail hiding under the dirt.

I'll most likely leave it as is. I had the same dilemma when I found the Royal Artillery belt plate...but in the end left it as is.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft:

Looks like you have a real good one there, my button knowledge is very limited, so it's difficult to comment, but I can see the right guys have given it the thumbs up :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

SS

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible! Gotta Vote on it! Congrats............Hogge :notworthy:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah forgot to mention, BANNER in my books :icon_thumright:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool stuff :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I saw the button in the ??? forum. Great news on your I.D. :headbang: Rev button way up on my list . Like I.P. says another BANNER find ! I hope you are able to finish your mortar puzzle ! Love it :icon_sunny: M.R.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a first, and a rarity. I still know nothing about buttons though.

And you got a couple of coins too, Georgie looks to be facing right though.

My last two hunts...no coins.

Clean or not to clean, Rule of thumb, when in doubt, don't.

Let me give that a try too...silver cache.

Good luck on the return, never know what the plough will turn up ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Congrats on a first, and a rarity. I still know nothing about buttons though.

And you got a couple of coins too, Georgie looks to be facing right though.

My last two hunts...no coins.

Clean or not to clean, Rule of thumb, when in doubt, don't.

Let me give that a try too...silver cache.

Good luck on the return, never know what the plough will turn up ?

Well put it this way... in the area you guys live you most likely are not going to find a button from the American side (Continental Army). I know of one USA pewter, which was quite interesting because it was found with Loyalist and British buttons, but that's besides the point, and it's still just one in many many Rev War buttons. That leaves Loyalist and British. Early British buttons found in Canada with the right time line you sort of can call Rev War but if they are not found in the right context (with Loyalist finds) you can't say 100% for certain (I guess you can't say 100% even if they are) they seen action in the Revolutionary War because there's nothing to suggest the soldier wearing that uniform didn't go straight from Britain to Canada, or a variety of other reasons it was never there (United States). So what it comes down to is if you want to dig a 100% true Rev War button where you are, a Loyalist one is exactly what to find, and just about every one other than the RP (Royal Provincials) you can read the history leading up to when they left to head North. I am definitely not the only one with this opinion because the big collectors feel the same (most were never too crazy over them anyway) and the bottom has basically dropped out for British buttons. I'd say you'd be lucky to get half the money now compared to not even 10 years ago, but of course that doesn't change I still love to find them, but always hope they're in the company of Loyalist buttons to feel more sure they are a Rev War find.

PS: I should have included French too, but is the same idea as the British ones.

The only problem with this find is IT'S TOO RARE to get the appreciation it deserves. Probably much rarer than the most common GW buttons, and much more historical if you ask me because a GW is simply a Patriotic or political type button that was after the fact... where as this is a true period button with a direct connection to the American Revolution.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just got around to actually reading the post and the copper looks more like a William III.

Attachments

• 15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,499
  • 15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,510
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
I just got around to actually reading the post and the copper looks more like a William III.

That's actually what I was thinking too when I first saw the bust...sucky condition!

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

Iron Patch said:
By the way I think I know who dug the one you posted the picture of and he lost his shirt on it by being in a rush.

Also... just looked in the book and this unit is a result of the Queens Rangers and British Legion being absorbed. (The Legion button would sure be a good/ very rare one to dig) Also, it's different in that the King's American Dragoons enlisted soldiers wore these buttons, when all the other units had pewter. Don't see too many KADs dug, and the last I know of was at least 6 or 7 years ago.

He emailed me a pic of that rosette the week after he sold it for next to nothing. Made a big mistake dollar wise. To tell you the truth, I don't think he learned a damn thing, too bad. Romeo, you must have a fever?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

you're making it difficult to stay in D'ville, I may have to make a trip to Romeotopia!

once again nice finds!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ironhorse said:
you're making it difficult to stay in D'ville, I may have to make a trip to Romeotopia!

once again nice finds!!

I was thinking a trip to the beer store. :laughing7:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How about a trip to the beer store and THEN Romeotopia!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find man...told ya! hah Now I hope for your sake they will start to come fast and furious as I mentioned in my other post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread