Beach and Field...Success at Both (Rev. War Loyalist Button!!!) UPDATE

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the road before sun up this morning and decided to try Cannonball Beach. I haven't been there is about a month so I figured I was past due. I got the usual musket balls and also a 30 lb chunk of mortar. I usually leave the mortar pieces on the beach but this one was found within 20 feet of the 28 lb piece I found last February so I thought there would be a good chance that they would mate up...and they did! Next time out I'm going to concentrate on that one area and see if I can find the rest...I'm a quarter of the way there.

On the way back to town I saw that one of my fields had just been harvested (beans) so I decided to give it a shot. This is the field that Patriot and I hunted this past spring. When we were there the field had just been plowed but the furrows were very high. With the beans just off it was flat ground. Finds started popping out right away. Several musket balls, a couple loom or net weights, some spoon frags, two coins (a worn French liard and what I think is a worn George II) and an as yet to be identified military button. Update:Identified as a King's American Dragoon bridle rosette or hat button! It was a good hunt!

Attachments

• DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • DSCF0108.JPG
    DSCF0108.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,917
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,917
  • DSCF0113.JPG
    DSCF0113.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,943
  • DSCF0125.JPG
    DSCF0125.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,947
  • DSCF0110.JPG
    DSCF0110.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,269
Upvote 0

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beach and Field...Success at Both (Rev. War Loyalist Button!!!)

ColonialDude said:
Nice find man...told ya! hah Now I hope for your sake they will start to come fast and furious as I mentioned in my other post.

Thanks! I'll be heading back there very soon looking for another...or maybe an "LD" rosette... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gilmerman said:
I enjoyed your find of the mortar shrapnel that fit one you had found previously. I hope you had the thrill I had at finding, one year later, the second part to complete a 3" Horn Stone Snyder. It fit so tight I was able to unite and display it in my frame of points.

Finding the rest is going to be my winter project. The beach won't freeze so it will give me something to do while the ground is frozen!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
ColonialDude said:
Nice find man...told ya! hah Now I hope for your sake they will start to come fast and furious as I mentioned in my other post.

Thanks! I'll be heading back there very soon looking for another...or maybe an "LD" rosette... :icon_thumright:

Just looked at the text for the one you posted and see he does call it a bridal rosette. Cool. But I think I'd rather one of these. Either would be pretty killer.

I probably just brought you the luck to find one.

Attachments

• RWi83d- Kings American Dragoons Badge copy.jpg
    RWi83d- Kings American Dragoons Badge copy.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,186
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
ColonialDude said:

Just looked at the text for the one you posted and see he does call it a bridal rosette. Cool. But I think I'd rather one of these. Either would be pretty killer.

I probably just brought you the luck to find one.

Yeah. I'll take that too! :icon_thumright:

TennPenny

Nov 22, 2008

That's a great button. those mortar pieces are cool too!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It turns out that this is not a button at all but rather a bridle rosette! I didn't even consider that possibility because I figured that a rosette would be considerably larger but I found a piece written by Don Troiani on the rosette where he stated that the button is nearly identical to the rosette but "slightly smaller". I emailed Troiani a picture of my relic, front and back, and he confirmed that it is a rosette!

KAD buttons are rare...rosettes are even rarer!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
It turns out that this is not a button at all but rather a bridle rosette! I didn't even consider that possibility because I figured that a rosette would be considerably larger but I found a piece written by Don Troiani on the rosette where he started that the button is nearly identical to the rosette but "slightly smaller". I emailed Troiani a picture of my relic, front and back, and he confirmed that it is a rosette!

Rarer is even better :tongue3: can you post the back side for us to see?

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
romeo-1 said:
It turns out that this is not a button at all but rather a bridle rosette! I didn't even consider that possibility because I figured that a rosette would be considerably larger but I found a piece written by Don Troiani on the rosette where he started that the button is nearly identical to the rosette but "slightly smaller". I emailed Troiani a picture of my relic, front and back, and he confirmed that it is a rosette!

Rarer is even better :tongue3: can you post the back side for us to see?

Done...see the original set of pictures.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:

Interesting, but doesn't look like a rosette to me. I have never seen one with a back like that, it looks more like a musket plate.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonialDude said:
romeo-1 said:

Interesting, but doesn't look like a rosette to me. I have never seen one with a back like that, it looks more like a musket plate.

Iron Patch had the same notion and it does make more sense...and looks more likely. Personally I wouldn't know the difference and can only go by what the experts tell me...I sure would like to see some different examples of both.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
ColonialDude said:
romeo-1 said:

Iron Patch had the same notion and it does make more sense...and looks more likely. Personally I wouldn't know the difference and can only go by what the experts tell me...I sure would like to see some different examples of both.
:icon_scratch:

Isn't it also a bit small for a rosette :icon_scratch:

SS

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
romeo-1 said:
ColonialDude said:
romeo-1 said:

:icon_scratch:

Isn't it also a bit small for a rosette :icon_scratch:

SS

That's what I thought as well but I was reading Don Troiani's description of his rosette and he states that the button is nearly identical to the rosette but "slightly smaller". This tells me that the rosette is quite small...I've got my feelers out there to others knowledgeable in the field and am awaiting replies. Updates to come.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beach and Field...Success at Both!

For anyone wondering...here's a picture of the two mortar fragments with a quarter for scale. I could not imagine the effort it took just to load this cannon...let alone being on the receiving end...

They just got their worlds strongest men to load them. They're always hefting big round balls.
Those pieces are awesome!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided that I was going to try to research this relic and the area it was found and see if I could identify the soldier who likely lost it. My town is very small, less than 1000 people but is a very old town...settled in the early 1700s. I have a book detailing the history of my town and there is a chapter on the Loyalists who came to this area after the American Revolution. In this chapter is the 1784 census highlighting all of the Loyalists in town at that time. I was able to find the Muster Rolls for the King's American Dragoons online and since it was a very small regiment, less than 400 soldiers in total, I started cross referencing the Muster Rolls with the 1784 census. Sure enough there was a match! There was only one name in the Muster Rolls that was also on the 1784 census...and it was most definitely not a common name! It's a match!

I can now say with the utmost certainty who lost this piece! For me, being able to associate a name to a relic is the icing on the cake!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup nothing better than putting a name on history found! :notworthy:

U

umrgolf

Wow awesome research Romeo.. This is up there for Tnet find of the year (my favorite anyway)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread