Beach Lead Updated (added the bullets)

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Yes, this is a saltwater beach on the ocean. No deer here either or deer hunting anyway. Here are some of the bullets (50 and 30 cal.) I have found along with the lead balls.

Towards the end of the winter I always start finding lots of these at the beach. Not sure if they are musketballs, grapeshot, or what. All I know is that they get to be a nuisance after a while especially when you're hoping for a ring or a coin. From rolling in the sand, they don't get the chalky patina of the lead found on land. The make me want to get a wrist rocket though. >:D
The penny is for scale.

HH

- joe

Attachments

• Beach Lead.jpg
    Beach Lead.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 674
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beach Lead

Great Ball O Fire...Lead marbles...HH :tongue3:

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, wierd. Wonder if the guys over at the shipwreak threads would have a clue? Neat.

beach boy

Sep 20, 2006
Detector(s) used
ace 250,garrett 1350

i've also been finding those on delaware beaches

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wierd. Sorta looks like grape shot. Were there any old battles there?

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I think what you have is called buck and ball. it is a large slug with a few smaller balls around it. they are used in deer hunting. the buck(large slug) is supposed to hit dead center while the ball(smaller balls) gurantee a quick take down.

FlatCat

Feb 23, 2008
Palm Bay, Florida, USA
Detector(s) used
White's

wwwtimmcp said:
I think what you have is called buck and ball. it is a large slug with a few smaller balls around it. they are used in deer hunting. the buck(large slug) is supposed to hit dead center while the ball(smaller balls) gurantee a quick take down.

Why would it be on a beach?? ???

FC

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Could it be some form of fishing weight? I remember as a kid the round lead weights that you crimped onto the fishing line. Maybe they have bigger ones for surf fishing. I'm reaching on this one but since I'm not a fishermen I thought I would throw it out there.

NJ

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite

Sometimes I run into pockets of lead at some South Jersey beaches, the pockets were formed by beach replenishment dredges, they suck everything from the bottom , sometimes near an old fishing spot , then pump the sand onto the beach. . Often there will be hundreds of lead targets concentrated in one small area.. mostly fishing weights, or bullets.
I was thinking yours may be worn down fishing weights, lead will decay in the ocean and wear down.... But not really sure,

they all sound good in the ear ,so you gotta dig em. :D

Jim

OP
OP
JCinNJ

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

allen said:
looks like some sort of fishing sinker..they come in all sizes and shapes

I think these are too big for split shot sinkers and none have any signs of a groove. One round one I did not include had a piece of rusted steel and I assume that was the remnants of a jig (lure). The larger pieces that seem to have sides may be pieces of old sinkers but if you saw all their sides you would probably feel as I do that they are not. I have a lot of banged up sinkers to compare too.

HH

- joe

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimInPhilly said:
Sometimes I run into pockets of lead at some South Jersey beaches, the pockets were formed by beach replenishment dredges, they suck everything from the bottom , sometimes near an old fishing spot , then pump the sand onto the beach. . Often there will be hundreds of lead targets concentrated in one small area.. mostly fishing weights, or bullets.
I was thinking yours may be worn down fishing weights, lead will decay in the ocean and wear down.... But not really sure,

they all sound good in the ear ,so you gotta dig em. :D

Jim

Beach sand is as good as sand paper but it takes longer. Looks like they are mostly sinkers that have rolled around for years in the surf. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California

FlatCat said:
wwwtimmcp said:

FC

Hint...

Attachments

• deer_robinson_island_400_width.jpg
    deer_robinson_island_400_width.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 232

FlatCat

Feb 23, 2008
Palm Bay, Florida, USA
Detector(s) used
White's

tapoutking said:
FlatCat said:
wwwtimmcp said:

FC

Hint...

Ah ha! Living in Florida, I was thinking ocean, not lake. Not many deer at the ocean around here. :D

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

I bet they were fishing weights placed in a bag with line.It broke apart.
Just a guess :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread