Beach tactics 101

ELECTRA

Greenie
We are going to the Dominican Republic shortly and managed to look at some aerial pictures of our resort. I am trying to save some time and make most efficient use of my strength and stamina as the beach area is huge.
I would love some advise from you all as to WHERE I should concentrate my efforts and manage my time.

Keep in mind I like to get out there just before sunrise/Dawn in order to beat the crowds and gaukers, curious onlookers and kids. Depending on the situation, I may get another chance just after sunset as people start to head to the showers and get ready for dinner.

1)
I believe the resort (as well as others down the beach) have a beach cleaner/sweeper that they use to clean the seaweed. Perhaps they use it only when the wind shifts and brings in weeds overnight. That needs to be determined once on location.

2)
There is a very large area that has perhaps 100 or more "Palapas" (parasols) where people sit and lounge to take in the sun/beach. This area is also dotted with tall palm trees and is of course well away from the highest tides.

3)
Beyond that of course is the beach.

So in conclusion there are 3 main search areas. The Huge Palapa/parasol area. The main dry sand beach area. Finally, the wet lane area right at the water.

What do you guys think? How would you approach such a huge area? One thing I can say for certain is that I will try different areas each day in order to have maximum coverage.

I thank you all in advance.

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
If they do have sweepers, you might want to see where they dump the seaweed... you might find some excellent finds in the pile itself.

Call me Captain Obvious, but hit the areas where there are people. Just off pathways getting to the beach, around the chairs, umbrellas/parasols, volleyball pit (if they have one), etc. Look for cuts in the beach, especially if there are steep drops from high wave action. And definitely the lane.

People tend to lose items when they stop and put on suntan oil/lotion. They also tend to lost things when they pack up their belongings (things fall off tables/towels, and they dont securely put things back into bags). They also tend to lose jewelry in the water... first becasue your fingers shrink when the water hits them, and second - WAVES. I once (before i started detecting) watched a woman get hit by a large wave when she wasn't paying attention. She fell down, and when she came up, she was missing some big hoop earrings, and bracelets.

good luck

steve

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to say I agree with the previous post. The information he gave is quite sound, and you should be successful with the information he gave.

I tend to work on the theory that more jewelry tends to get lost in the water. cold, wet hands+suntan lotion+wave action=lost rings. It never ceases to amaze me how many people wear their best jewelry to the beach, and then when they loose it, act totally shocked that it happened. You will also tend to find more bracelets and necklaces with broken clasps when people wrestle, play football/frisbee, and generally roughhouse in the water. I believe it is the sense of being cushioned by the water when you fall, or have a bunch of kids hanging on you like a barnacle. ;D If you have a submersible machine, I would work the water and the troughs that the waves create when they crash. Also, look for washed out areas of the beach where the waves tend to pull more sand back to sea. Those have, in the past, been successful for me.

GL & HH

OP
OP
E

ELECTRA

Greenie
Thanks for the replys!

I have a huge task ahead of me. I say huge task because there is a lot of "real estate" to cover and fatigue is a factor. I have found in the past that I can start early in the morning and get about 3 hours in before the heat, fatigue, hunger or people get to be nuicance.

I will take the advice and hunt the areas where people tend to sit/lounge first and then make my way down to the lane near the water. Of course I will ultimately decide on the details when I'm on location.

I have another couple of weeks before I leave on this trip but I will be sure to write a full report when I return. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread