moving to FL from NM, the question asked a million times;)

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
IF YOU BOTHER TO OPEN AND READ THIS PLEASE GIVE YOU OPINION!!!!!!!! THANKS

sorry to bother, i am gonna ask a question you must have heard a thousand times. i currently live in new mexico, and i once had a mxt, i loved it, it was simple and worked great. i am moving to florida soon. i would like to purchase another mxt. the problem is i will be at the beach on wet sand coil in salt water alot (i dont swim in oceans) . at the same time i will be coinshooting and relic hunting away from the beach on dry land. i have read reviews about the mxt having problems with , chatter in wet sand and coil in salt water. what would you recomend? i dont want to lose performance. i love the mxt tho. should i veer to a pulse MD? if so how does it do on dry land? please help!!!
thank you
Chong

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Chong,

Sorry I can't help you on your questions, I have never used the MXT, I use a ML Excal, and Whites Beach Hunter ID on the beaches currently, although I am in the process of trading the BHID for a new Soveregn GT.

What part of Florida are you moving to? I'm in Orlando. Just my opinion, if your going to be very close to the beaches and hunt them often, you may want to consider a good water or land/water machine, and save the MXT for the dry land. There is an lot of beaches here. ;D

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
thanks for your reply. we are considering the melbourne/ orlando area, possibly in between. i went to melcourne/ coco for a few weeks a couple years go. i like it alot there. we just dont wanna be right on the coast and get hit during hurricanes. so we are thinking just a little more inland. what beaches do you hunt? so do you have any experience with any land/water detectors?

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Hi! I live in the Orlando area and I use a Minelab Sovereign Elite. It works great on dry land, sand, and water. You can't get the box wet, but you can go into the water up to a foot or two. I don't do much beach hunting, but it's nice having the option. Good luck!

vicki

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong, I hunt Daytona more then I do Cocoa, but that is because of my location to I-4 more then the quality or quantity of finds. It takes me longer to get to Cocoa then Daytona is all.

I use the ML Excal for the beaches, I also have a Whites Beach Hunter ID that I use, but I am going to be trading it for the Minelab Sovereign Elite GT with in a week or 2. I am dealing with Tony in CT on it. When you get down here IM me and we will meet up if you wish and do some hunting.

By the way, living inland doesn't keep you from getting hit by the hurricanes, we had 3 hit Orlando in 2004, but you do get to avoid the storm surge.

Vicki what part of Orlando you live in, not asking address just the area. How long you been using your Sovereign and how do you like it? What kind of hunting do you do?

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
awesome, thanks for the insight vicki. i will research that detector. hunter, sure, ill hit you up, but we are not going to move until the beginning of the year. and im really freaked out with the tsuanmi's. i dunno, the thought of inland makes me feel a little safer. plus when the hurricanes hit we wont have to worry about our possesions as much. and its cheaper;) sorry cant spell

KrabJ

Greenie
Sep 11, 2006
Central FL
Chong,

I believe you have a big misconsception about hurricanes. I live in the center of the state hour and a half to either coast. Storm surge isn't a big problem inland, but hurricanes bring very strong wind and dangerous tornadoes. I was born & raised in Sarasota and in all my years never experienced a real hurricane until 2004 and I got to experience 4 of them 150 mph winds with flying debris is scary. I am not trying to scare you, Florida is a wonderful and beautiful place to live but you can't think that not being on the coast is safer during a hurricane it's just as dangerous.

Good luck :)

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chong,

I finally decided to give a pulse MD a try and bought the White PI Pro with a neutral buoyancy coil. I use it in the water and on dry land and can hardly tell the difference. I've had finds up to 10 inches deep or more with this machine on the beach and on dry land.

It is a little harder to pinpoint, so I get lots of use out of my poinpointer (on land). I have not tried the PI completely underwater yet, getting my dive gear checked out and hope to jump in the water soon . . . .

Jack

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
krab, thanks for the info, im used to tornados, i lived in ND for awhile. up there everyone has a basement, florida im not sure. no worries, we have made our mind up and florida it is. Jack, the pulse, do you regret anything about it? also jack, where abouts do you live?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with a PI is you will be digging every bobby pin, fish hook and piece of wire that was ever lost in the beach your hunting and deep too.

I have hunted with 2 other hunters who used one and I would walk up to them as they were digging a hole to China, run my Excal over their hole and tell them "it's iron". The first few dozen times they said "I want to be sure". After digging 2 foot holes, they got tired and they would call me over and ask me to check. Both of them sold their PI's with in weeks of buying them, one bought an Excal, the other bought a Whites.

If the beach is real clean PI is good, if not it's can be a nightmare. I have to agree with Sandman, my time is just too valuable to be digging for bobbypins to China. I would rather be digging for the good stuff. Just my personal opinion is all.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
Hello Chong and Welcome! I live in Tampa Bay (on the Gulf side) and own a Tesoro Tiger Shark. I love it and you can't beat the lifetime guarantee. Works on land as well as water, check out the reviews. Good Luck and HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevino,

I have family that lives in Brandon, Tampa, and St. Pete. Maybe we can get together sometime and hunt that side of the state.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
awesome all, thanks for the info, welcome and invites. ill of course be sure to post when i get there, but wait!!! what if you all are scary stalker killers???? what if im one.....

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I'd take NM over FL anyday.

I spent summers growing up in ne NM and loved it.

Went to FL in 1980 for a week (while I was in college) and said I would never go back there.

Yuck nasty.

never detected in FL though.

Burt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm, no snow, little or no frost, no state tax, first $25K of home exempt from property taxes, soon to double, 9-10 months of perfect weather, bikinis year round, lakes everywhere, beaches on 3 sides, swim and fish year round, boating year round, bikinis year round, bike year round, metal detect year round, over a dozen known old treasure ships sank off of east coast, bikinis year round, can walk out front door and watch rocket liftoffs, lots of fresh fruit, and veggies, oh and bikinis year round too...................................... ;D

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Treasure_Hunter said:
Hummm, no snow, little or no frost, no state tax, first $25K of home exempt from property taxes, soon to double, 9-10 months of perfect weather, bikinis year round, lakes everywhere, beaches on 3 sides, swim and fish year round, boating year round, bikinis year round, bike year round, metal detect year round, over a dozen known old treasure ships sank off of east coast, bikinis year round, can walk out front door and watch rocket liftoffs, lots of fresh fruit, and veggies, oh and bikinis year round too...................................... ;D

Hispanics, rattlers and wildfires = either place. Seasons, snow, cows, cowgirls, YES rocket liftoffs at the space port. Hot air balloons, cows, cowgirls, sunshine, average temp 65.
Pickups, cows, cowgirls, lizards, ufos, wide open spaces (can see tornados coming from 3 days away) :) . Tumbleweeds, prarie dogs, antelope, big horn sheep. ;D

Bob Wills (from the Texas Playboys) and last but not least...Fresh air.

Downside = hanta virus and the plague. :-\

It just depends on your perspective on thing I guess. 8)

Burt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Average temp of the 11 major cities in Florida from North to south =72.4

"Nationally, Florida ranked 12th in beef cows and 18th in total cattle. All cattle and calves on Florida farms and ranches as of January 1, 2006, including dairy cattle, totaled 1,690,000 head."

Lots of fresh air from the surrounding oceans surrounding Florida.

Having lived in Ohio, Minn, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ill, Texas, Missouri, Colorado have had my fill of snow, fun to play in, sucks to shovel. Ice, sucks even more.

Having camped in every western state starting from Colorado west to the Pacific Ocean, have camped in every National Park starting in Colorado to the Pacific as well, you can not help but love the scenery.

Have been to many parts of Kentucky as well. Use to visit the northern Kentucky/West Virgina border where a good friend was from, beautiful country.

No doubt it is one's perspective. ;D

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Treasure_Hunter said:

Also need to learn Spanish which is the official language in Florida, and make sure you have car insurance that cover uninsured vehicles since at least half of the drivers down here are illegal or carry no insurance or even have a license.

HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread