rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the good news a couple of days ago so I hit the creek a running. Found lots of worked flint pieces and no points for a long time. I was starting to get disappointed till I got real far upstream. Along the way I smelled a campfire it had that smell of burning all night not strong but enough to know somebody was there probably sleeping up on the bank where I couldnt see them. Private property by the way and I know the owner. I then saw some beaver sticks positioned along the creek where people had been fishing. I had my little friend with me so even though I was worried I wasnt at the same time. It just wasnt a comfortable feeling like usual cause I kept having to stop and listen to be sure nobody was sneaking up on me. I hurried past that section and went further upstream past a train crossing which I was weary of never know who is under them. I eased on passed it and didnt see any signs on the bank and felt relieved then jumped in my yak and went further upstream. I heard some splashing in the distance behind me (deer maybe) I thought. As I went further upstream I saw a huge gravel bar and some more of them fishing sticks stuck in the bank. I felt sick again knowing it could be dangerous for me. But I took a look and as I was walking it there was a big tall brush section where I couldnt see in about 40 feet away. I raised my little friend in the air so in case anyone was there they could see. I heard some banging on a tin can and I then spoke out to let them know I knew. As I looked I found the nice 2 tone point just barely showing under the gravel and counted my blessings then hauled butt further upstream. Got to no mans land and rested. Saw another large gravel bar and stopped. Rite in the channel that had dried up was the black point under a leaf tip covered. I stared at it for a min then reached after getting a pic of it on my phone. Couldnt believe it was whole. After that I was ready to go but had to go back downstream. I saw a deer trail leading up the bank and I knew there was a large cow pasture up there. I pulled myself through the thorny vines with yak leash in hand. Then dragged my yak up it. I was covered in mud but it was better than going back downstream through the creek not knowing what or who could of been waiting for me around the next bend. Lucky for me the cows and bulls were in the next field in a locked fence. I then dragged my yak about 1.5 miles through the open field every once in a while looking over my shoulder to be sure nobody was behind me. Long story I know but true. rock

Attachments

• SDC12055.JPG
    SDC12055.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC12057.JPG
    SDC12057.JPG
    957.7 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC12051.JPG
    SDC12051.JPG
    681.9 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You didn't say anything about the traps, but trapping season should
just about be over, depending on what state you're in.

FWIW, stepping on a foot-hold trap is not going to cause any real harm,
unless you're barefoot, that is. Trappers don't use tooth-jawed traps
any longer, so all you'd have to do is slide it off your foot.

The other style trap used is the larger conibear, and it will generally be set in a
channel, or near a spot where the beaver has been leaving the water to access
chow on land. Best suggestion is don't be reaching for stuff in the water til
you're damn sure you're not poking your arm through the jaws of a 330 Conibear.
If that trap snaps on your arm, you won't be taking it off on your own, and it's
likely to cause some damage.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lot's of crazies out & about now. Years ago if you met someone in the woods they were fellow outdoorsmen. I prefer a shotgun but only because I'm lousy with a handgun. Very nice finds and glad you found them.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock all the meth heads I've seen look like their afraid of water . Just carry a bar of soap .

That made me laugh out loud. Its true though some of stinkiest people. But just never know Id rather be safe than sorry. I talked to the property owner today and next time we will go together after the flood waters go down. Got 5 inches of rain and each inch in my area equals a foot of creek water so its busting the banks rite now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread