Been away, Canadian Silver?

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Hey there Tneters, It's been a while! Been away for a bit, and not too much detecting due to the snow we've been having here in Canada. Will post later my finda so far from MD'ing, and boy oh boy am I HOOKED! Haha, can't wait to MD soon..., but have to something with your time when there's snow! Well, will go into it more on my next post, but, I've go a question. I've heard that US silver coins' latest year was 1964, but what abiut canadian? found this 1960 nickel in my change today, but not too sure if it's regular or silver, or what the years range from. Also about Wheats, found a bunch of old Canadian pennies in my jar of change, and was wondering from what years they range from. All in all, a good change find is keeping me steady right now, but, in two days, 10 degrees celcius, and A good 3 hour hunt hopefully ;) Pics will be posted soon, if I can get them up in time :) Well, sorry for dragging on, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Kiko

Upvote 0

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Canadian silver .800 fine ended in 1967 for the dime, quarter, half and dollar. And in '67 and '68 silver dropped to .500 fine for the dime and quarter. I believe they were minted in nickle ever since. The wheat backs were minted from 1909 to 1958. Hope that helps ya.

OP
OP
Kiko68

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Thanks a lot goldgrubber! Do you know about the nickel if it was minted in silver or nickel throughout the years? But thank you very much! Turns our my 1967 quarter is silver! Even if the quantity of silver secreased that year ;)

Thanks! Kiko

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Canadian nickels were minted in .925 sterling up to 1920. In 1921 it went down to .800 fine. starting in 1922 they switched to nickel.

OP
OP
Kiko68

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Haha, thank you everyone! So, there is Canadian silver out there ;D OOooo, Thank you very much for the info! Will keep looking for the silver! And thanks Twister :)

Kiko

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread