Below zero temperatures how did the old timers do it?

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news - won't have to see a lot of tree-huggers trashing up your claim on weekends!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think the old timer did any prospecting or placer mining during the cold months. That's the time to let the muscles recup, repair equip or buy new equip. Sit around the fire and drink whickey while you wait for things to thaw out again.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a big part of why Denver is sitting where it is. The miners would leave the mountains in winter and come down here to the plains. They could pan or sluice enough here in winter to pay for beans and whiskey while they waited for spring. We still have fun getting gold out of the water right here in the Denver metro area! Good thing I don't have to feed myself from the gold I find though!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that Jason and Kevin answered your question really well. I am sitting in a place that was 78* the last two days and may go into the 50's tonight. I am toying with the idea of building a fire(Walmart fire logs)for me and the kitty. Brrrrr! So you can imagine me living where you are. I am the KING of warm weather wussies...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
austin said:
I think that Jason and Kevin answered your question really well. I am sitting in a place that was 78* the last two days and may go into the 50's tonight. I am toying with the idea of building a fire(Walmart fire logs)for me and the kitty. Brrrrr! So you can imagine me living where you are. I am the KING of warm weather wussies...

81 degrees in LA today. Something not right about that. Tomorrow 85 or so... It is winter right??? Lol.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whelp if you have an area that produces well then you could build a moveable hut, break through the ice and work all year long in a nice little cabin. :D

Ice fishers do it so why cant Ice PROSPECTORS!? :)

If the area is level and large enough or the creek wide enough I dont see why you couldnt do something like that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, Neo, I know a guy who owns land on Clear Creek here in CO...every winter he does essentially this. He digs a modest hole, waits for the walls to freeze down a ways, (damp soil next to the creek) then digs deeper, let's it freeze, etc. He gets down 20-30+ feet to to pay dirt you couldn't reach in summer without seriously big yellow machines! Very cool technique eh?!?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, Neo, I know a guy who owns land on Clear Creek here in CO...every winter he does essentially this. He digs a modest hole, waits for the walls to freeze down a ways, (damp soil next to the creek) then digs deeper, let's it freeze, etc. He gets down 20-30+ feet to to pay dirt you couldn't reach in summer without seriously big yellow machines! Very cool technique eh?!?

Heh, that is a hell of a neat way to get to pay dirt, smart guy. :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,Kevin and Jason nailed it.Thats how most big cities around gold areas started,most guys flocked to them,or went home in the winter
It was well known especially by the Chinese that prolonged exposure to cold water would cause arththritis.......I am walking proof of that too!!!

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard that in some frozen areas like Alaska, they dig below the frozen stream to get the paydirt in winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread