Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday, Terri and I went creek huntin'. I love hearing the sound of the water flowing. It's so relaxing. I made a short clip for ya, since I now know how do the youtube thing. ;D

[youtube=425,350]mHIyuU86OAI[/youtube]

We found the usual fossils, quartz, old glass and pottery. But I found three rocks that looked quite unusual. They're blue. :icon_scratch: Anyone know what they may be?

100_2254.jpg

Friday, Terri, Lisa and I went to a site that I'm rather fond of. It's a bit of a drive but usually worth it. Looked up and saw the biggest ole moon shining...thought it was neat to have a full moon and the sun going at the same time.

100_2235.jpg

One of my first keeper finds was an old marble! I think Duffy says they're Benny's...from the 1800's?

100_2250.jpg

Got three wheats, an alum religious medallion that didn't quite make it, a partial miners tag, change, lead seal, and a really neat Roy Rogers good luck token.

100_2249.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2248.jpg

My favorite find of the day has to be this miners tag. I'm usually thrilled when I find 'em and they have the name of the mine listed on it, but this one not only has the name of the mine, but the name of the miner as well! :icon_sunny:

100_2241.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

Lisa's the genealogy whiz around here, so I've got her busy trying to get a bit of info on him. Thanks, Leese!!! :-*

Have a great weekend!!

Nana :)

Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

blue rocks :icon_scratch: they appear to be some low grade azurite...a copper compound.

are they chalky or solid?

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the videos Nana.....they add a special "something" to your posts.
Not that your posts need anything else.... they are always good. :thumbsup:
The RR good luck token and the miners tag are great finds also.... thanks for sharing
with us. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy, Happy Trails. Of course, Trigger is long dead and stuffed, but great finds!

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Nana!

That Roy Rogers token is way cool! 8) I love the personalized miner's tag too. The creek shows that we haven't had a lack of rain in these parts. :D

Kent

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Nana.............I like finding tokens.......and Love when I unexpectedly find marbles.......Nice old ones too...........................Hold on to that bullet as well..........looks like a Civil War era

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Excellent finds as usual Nana! Was thinkin' the bluish stone could be a type of sodalite but it doesn't quite "fit the bill". WarsawDaddy might be on to something with the blue quartz, but it could also be chalcedony or even a variation of flint. Would love to see it positively i.d.'d - great chunk o' glass and fossils as well! Congrats and see you in Fla... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Nana, I think that is The Sloss Iron & Steel Company from the Birmingham area. I've got a piece of scrip from the Sloss Mines. Neat finds, congrats. :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post and finds Nana, I enjoyed it! The stamp on the back of the miner's tag looks like it could be the company that made the tag, almost looks like abr. Cincinnati. HH and keep em coming, froze hard here, Mike

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, Nana... good stuff! :thumbsup:

I agree with Mike: the name on the back of the tag appears to be that of the maker, James Murdock, Jr/., who operated a Cincinnati, Ohio engraving & diesinking firm under his own name from 1906 until 1920, at which time the company was acquired by the Osborne Coinage Co. To see a photo of him...Click here.

Some info about Sloss Iron & Steel Co. at: http://www.slossfurnaces.com/media/html/sloss_story/index.html

The Roy Rogers lucky piece dates from the 1950's and lists for $8 in Good condition.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very cool Nana! The rocks are beautiful ....The tag is really cool
Found a little bit on Jas. Murdock for you....

TagTown Maker Detail
James Murdock Junior
Murdock is well known for 2 specific Reasons. One is as a patent holder and the other is as a manufacturer. Murdock is believed to always have done business in Cincinnati, Ohio. Cincinnati is a true crossroads on the Ohio river bordering Covington, Kentucky. It is believed that James Murdock Junior took over the firm of Murdock and Spencer.

The Murdock patent is for a reversible check that is folded back onto itself. These checks are obvious because of two protruding rivets (on both front and reverse) next to the lower strap opening. In a reversible pair the bag check is always thicker than the duplicate (customer) check. The patent date is August 22nd, 1865.

Another nice characteristic of a Murdock check is the fancy hallmark sometimes found on the back of the duplicate checks. There are a couple of versions of this hallmark. The older of the two says, "Stamps and Burning Brands". This version clearly states an address of 139 West 5th Street. The later version is more ornate and lists more diversity in: Seal Presses, Stamp Cutting, Engraver, Die Sinker, etc.

From a collecting perspective a huge cache of 4 1/2 five gallon buckets of baggage checks was found in the 1970s. Almost all of these checks have the town of Montgomery somewhere on them. Many of these checks were made by Murdock. All of these checks date to 1895 or earlier. This may seem like a "flooding" of the market, however, this was/is a great opportunity to acquire different shapes, hallmarks, interline road names and destinations.http://www.tagtown.net/murdock.html

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
As usual Nana,
Great stuff,
Thanks for the clip.

The clearer piece looks like slag glass.
the other two I can't say they could be a copper mineral such as Chrysocholla or azurite
many of the copper minerals are in a sulfate or carbonate form,
they will acquire either a blue or a green color.

Thom

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Even more about Murdock than anyone could possibly be interested in knowing...

From Cincinnati - The Queen City - 1788-1912, Vol. IV (S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago & Cincinnati, 1912), pp. 718-721.

JAMES MURDOCK, JR.

James Murdock, Jr., is well known throughout this city from his many years connection with the stamp cutting, engraving and die sinking business. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, November 15, 1839, and came to Cincinnati at the age of eleven with his parents, James and Barbara (Kelso) Murdock. He was one of the first students at the first intermediate school, which was made up of the brightest pupils of all public schools and had for its principal B. O. M. DeBeck and for its assistant principal Mr. Treeror, who later was president of the John Church Company.

After leaving school Mr. Murdock began work in the stamp cutting business, with John Stanton, remaining with him ten years. In connection with W. M. Spencer he later bought out Mr. Stanton's business and five years later bought out Mr. Spencer and conducted the business alone. In 1906 he incorporated as the James Murdock Jr. Company and continued in active charge until June 12, 1911, when he retired from active work. His establishment is now managed by his son Winslow, who is holding the good reputation that was made by his father and is also interested financially.

After many years of prosperity in business for himself Mr. Murdock's first employer, Mr. Stanton, came to work for him and remained with him for five years. The Murdock establishment is the direct descendant of the Z. Bisbee Stamp Cutting shop, established in 1835, which was the first of its kind in Cincinnati. It has been very successful from the start, and its prosperity has been due entirely to Mr. Murdock's energy and business foresight.

During the Civil War Mr. Murdock was fife major of the Hundred and Thirty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, having enlisted for one hundred days. Colonel Len Harris, who was also mayor of Cincinnati at the time, told Mr. Murdock to get ten fifers and to take those men that he thought could play and make fifers out of them. Accordingly he started in to the service with one man and came out at the end of his term of service with seven. Mr. Murdock has been very successful in the business world. He now owns a beautiful home at Point View on Price Hill, corner of Grand and Murdock avenues, having there a tract which is situated about four hundred feet above the Ohio river.

Mr. Murdock was united in marriage to Miss Susan P. Phelps, a daughter of Winslow Seth Phelps, of Dayton, Ohio, and to them have been born three sons and two daughters, as follows: Winslow, who married Anna Hecker; Carruth, who married Lulu Wilder and has one child, James Winston; Luke, who married Ethel Carr and has two children, Luke, Jr., and Mabel; Hattie, who married P. B. Sullivan and has one child, Mildred; and Sue, who married Harry A. Redfield and has two children, Sue Margaret and James. All of the children are still living in Cincinnati.

In his political views Mr. Murdock is a Republican and he is an earnest member of the Presbyterian church. In his business relations he has been eminently successful from the start and his prosperity is due to his own labor, enterprise and good management. He has many staunch friends among the trade, all of whom are still customers and some have been so for the past fifty years. He is widely and favorably known throughout the city for his many sterling traits of character and his business progressiveness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread