Best digging tool?

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Best digging tool, talk to AP. he custom makes them.I've got one,runs circles around anything else. Better hurry,get on his list.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I use a Treasure Wise digger. It works fairly well. I have seen what Mighty AP makes and they are handmade and of great quality. I have would have to agree with Papa and get a digger from Mighty AP and see if he can make you one. Hope it helps.

Z

ztzzt

Who is AP? I have made knives for 30 years. I might want to get in on this business.

drygulch

Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II
The best diggin tool I ever used are the ones I made myself. all of the ones I buy end up breaking. Maybe the reason they break is digging don't mean prying.
GRUBSTAKE

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
perhaps this for stubborn soil

Attachments

• 4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,352

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, ROFLMAO!!! C-4 kicks butt!!! You crazy sum bit...

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
if I'm in someone yard i made a 4" plugger and a Gerber knife
the plugger i made is out of 4" EMT the handle and foot piece is 3/4"

Attachments

• 102_0823.JPG
    102_0823.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,608

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I use the same Lesche digger I've had for 10 years. Occassionally, I put it on the grinding stone to put a new edge on it and a rat tail file to sharpen up the serrated side.
HH, Mike in NJ

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ztzzt said:
Who is AP? I have made knives for 30 years. I might want to get in on this business.

mighty ap is a member of the forum. i dont think he makes knives as a buisness though. i dont think he even charges for them, he just makes them for his friends as a hobby. (pretty nice guy!) he might make you one if you ask him nicely! ;) as far a buying a digging tool, the lesche tools are hard to beat.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a sabretooth digger with the DFX I purchased. After a while it starts hurting the palm of my hand because the end of it is in my palm as I start my little plug. It is not rounded but more of a flat on the end. I would be very interested in something a little easier in the palm.

I am very curious to see what results come from your post. I am in the market too....ha.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene said:
I received a sabretooth digger with the DFX I purchased. After a while it starts hurting the palm of my hand because the end of it is in my palm as I start my little plug. It is not rounded but more of a flat on the end. I would be very interested in something a little easier in the palm.

I am very curious to see what results come from your post. I am in the market too....ha.

I am not one to carry around a lesche shovel or anything that I cannot stick in my back pocket while metal detecting, I do switch swinging arms alot while detecting and carrying a shovel makes it more difficult. So, I have for over 27 years been using the only thing I ever buy from Kellyco and that is the super Gator Digger. I have never broken one, but have worn out maybe 6 in those 27 years, where by resharpening them I literally wore them down in size.

What is nice about the Gator Digger is I get the one with serrated teeth on both sides, which aides in slicing through roots, it is sharp, but not dangerous like my Lesche hand digger, which has cut me.
But the biggest advantage the Gator Digger has over my Lesche standard digger is the amount of dirt it scoops out. It has a much bigger beveled area for holding dirt and removing it as you dig. You can see the Gator Digger I use on my video post, not sure if it is in any of my photo posts.

Also, as a side benefit, the handle is bright orange which has helped a few times in relocating a dropped or left behind one. :) My son also has been using the GD for over 20 years.

For sore palms, I have been wearing gel bicycling gloves for many years and blisters are a thing of the past.

Don

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a hand trowel from lowes and a Lesche ground shark for deeper targets.
here is pictures of the ground shark.

Attachments

• lgs32.JPG
    lgs32.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,333
  • lgs32c.JPG
    lgs32c.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,301

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres the one from lowes

Attachments

• 719812013374.jpg
    719812013374.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,343

Spiney Norma

Jan 5, 2007
Elkhart Indiana
Detector(s) used
One that will some day rule ze Vorld! HAHAHA!
Medium sized regulation spade.

No frills, nothing fancy, rip up a chunk and hunt!

(Put it back nice and neat though)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene said:

lejeuene ,
It sounds like you are having the same blister issue I was having with a flat end digging trowel. As a cheap fix, I went to Home Depot and picked up one of those rubber chair leg pieces that keeps the chair from scratching a floor. They came in various diameters. I slipped one over the handle of my trowel. Although it is still a flat end, the surface area you now have is much greater and a lot easier on the skin.
I also use a pair of workout gloves to dig with. They have the extra padding in the palm, and no finger tips, so you can feel your target better while sifting through the dirt. Give it a try.
-MM-

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Cant say anything about the Mighty AP digging tool never used one. I have tried others and can tell you Lesche is the best on the market.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Here is the Fiskars cutting tool. Pretty nice with a great handle and lifetime warranty. Below that is their fantastic large trowel that also has a lifetime warranty to never bend or break.

Attachments

• 165111_7079_480.jpg
    165111_7079_480.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 145343_7073_P.jpg
    145343_7073_P.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,157

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don & ModerMiner - Thanks for the information....very helpful. Either way I go, I think a padded palm glove is in order. I went agan today for a couple hours and my palm is sore as can be.

Again thanks for your help guys..... ;).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions