Best digging tool?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only been detecting for a little under a year but I love the Lesche Standard Digger and I use a shovel from Predator Tools. Both are made of high quality materials and would be almost impossible to break but give me sometime and I will figure out a way. I also just purchased a plug cutter for planting bulbs from Lowe's for under two dollars. I have not had a chance to use it yet but I think it will be perfect for lawns and parks...I'll keep you posted. Come on warm weather...

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Quote by CryptoDave......
Yeah, that might be totally fine with you that have been graced by him to send you one, but since the rest of use are scum, we are discussing ones that are readily available.
Thanks.

You know Dave, these things take about 3 hours of labor to make & lets not even mention the cost in materials, gas, rod, electricity, etc. I spend my lunch hours & breaks making them every damn day & give them away to appreciative members of this forum, I dont even charge shipping. No one is scum here, if I could make one for every single member I would do it without hesitation! I have a waiting list a mile long, its hard keeping all the requests straight & I appologize if you have been overlooked but please understand that i am completely overwhelmed. I dont stamp them out on a machine, they are hand made & each one is unique & different from the last, quality takes time. Once again I appologize & hope there arent any ill feelings toward me by you or any other members. :)

MightyAP

That is very admirable you Mighty AP. Keep up the good work....obviously your put out a high quality product. Kudos to you.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my stuff. I use the flat digger at top for grass. I use the Lesche for the woods. I use the Landshark for the deep stuff. I use the probes a lot too...no reason to dig a hole if you don't need to.

tools_1.jpg

HH!
TBGO

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
woody_g said:
dang crypto can't believe you broke your fiskars.i have put mine through a lotta digging and really didn't think you could break it.good to know they are easy to replace if i ever do

Yep, snapped it off inside the handle where the metal goes into its weakest part. Called Fiskars in Monday 5th, today (10th) Fed Ex brought me my new trowel! That is customer service!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vary mine to conditions. From the golf-ball with a brass rod for a soft probe to the blue Alfanso Trematerra relic shovel (like the anti-tank version of the Lesche Tool). The Camillus knife is very handy in the woods for the little roots. I have a stainless bulb planter from Lowes (the shiny one) and the other little trowel I use at the local park for minimal holes. That one my wife got free from some garden magazine offer. The D-handled "relic shovel" is a 'Lil Pal from Agway (stays in the car for winter, too) and the smaller wood handled shovel is a much used Swiss Army surplus. Heavy duty and (at the time) cheap. One edge is sharpened like an axe.

Though, when Mighty AP gets caught up I admire that digger of his greatly. ;D

IM000843.jpg

Note that the find pouch was a light brown carpenter's belt and bag from Lowes. I died then green with Rit dye and it came out very nice. Cost something like $16 for the bag and belt and $1.50 for the dye.

T

texas hunter

While you are waiting for AP to catch up on his orders, try this one---great in the softer ground (ie.--non-frozen) and very easy on the hand.--Draw back--my better half says it looks like a womans gadget--so what--it works !! Found it at Home Depot--$9.95, it's got some serrations on the edges, I touched mine up with a file to put a better edge on them.
HH
Lou

Attachments

• digger1.jpg
    digger1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 605
  • digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 609
  • digger1.jpg
    digger1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 591
  • digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 591

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I'm in the minority, but I've used a large flat end screwdriver for 12 years. I bought a digging trowel from White's 2 months ago but it wasn't any easier than the screwdriver. To me, a screwdriver is the cheapest and easiest thing to use as long as you take care not to push it right into your target. If I'm on my own property I may use something larger that's more suitable for digging up deeper stuff, but I enjoy using the screwdriver for small targets buried up to maybe 5 inches.

Nat

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nat that thing looks like someone connected a sword handle onto a trowl. . . .

Tuesea . . ;D

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crypto.. i have had that digging too sold by target for some time as well. Works great... they now sell it at wal mart as well.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its_toby said:
Nat that thing looks like someone connected a sword handle onto a trowl

Really! It is more narrow than a spade and has a sharpened edge on the tip, but it's already starting to get dull and I've only used it a few times.

Nat

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
I just purchased the Ames 7 in 1 tool withe the holster. Used it this past weekend and it seems to work great. The handle is very comfortable to the hand too. total 24.00 for all.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the topic is still hot. I have a cheapie Kellyco digger , my second one as the first one bent. I have a Fiskers, I have a dozen garden trowels, I have a Mauser 98 Bayonet, I have a brass probe with a ball on the end and a lever to go with it, & I have a long nosed garden spade, I have a small round face shovel for sand, I have a long handled ventilated aluminum sand scoop that has a short handle that detaches, I have.....OH, yes, a Mighty AP on the way, and I still am shopping for something else. I like those Lescke short handled shovels and might order one. Dang, I got more invested in digging tools than I do in my detectors! Well, not quite. I don't think there will ever be a perfect all in one digger because of the many different types of soil and terrain we encounter. Let's just hope I have the right one when I need it ::), but I never do it seems. Whatever I need seems to always be back at home instead of in the back of the Durango. Ain't it a bitch? Monty

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
its_toby said:
What are those, some kind of bulb planter on steriods????? ???

:D Handmade pluggers... ;) Works great, so far I have made 9 and given 6 away to fellow hunters, have one of each for myself. There are three models, a 5" diameter with a 9.25" plug depth, a 6" diameter with a 10.5" plug depth and a 3.75" diameter with a 13.75" plug depth. All work great, pattern cut from handmade tooling for swapping cutter blades and the like, each one comes with a drag line a clip and an allen wrench for removing the push disc. Great way to dig about 20% more targets and leave zero trace of ever being there...

Similar to the Mighty AP these have been a labor of love, each taking 6 hours plus $50+ for parts. I have been trying to give one to Mighty AP for being so generous here but he has yet to confirm the size...or if he is even interested... ???

Lejeune- The blisters are from the handle being too short, try a Wilcox model with a smaller blade and a 18" handle, like the 18x2 below, best trowel digger blisteredhands down.

HH

JW

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 550

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im tired of carrying a knife, flashlight, and digging tool (super gator). I think am just going to carry this for now on. I have never broke one of these

Attachments

• 8e_1.jpg
    8e_1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 497

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Well again it depends where your digging.Whats good for one person isn't that great for
someone else.Whats good in sand doesn't work in rocks.And if you carry this around for miles it shouldn't weigh alot.And it should have multi uses.I dig old bottles and a knife would break one.So I use a long hook shaped tool.for grass I use 2"emt cut at a 45
3inches long with a flat bar across the top and a 1inch ent.handle 8inches long with a tee at the top. In the desert, c-4 works great for busting out the big boulders.LOL
but no really a 2 inch angle iron cut at a 45 and the edge sharpened with a steel pipe 20 inches long and a tee at the end of the handle and a c cut on the edge of the angle iron to open tin cans or cut cable or rope.

T

treasurejack

I make these from scrap metal and for "everyday digging" they've never let me down. They are very tough. The one shown here is made out of a 1/8" X 1" X 12 1/2" piece of common angle stock. The blade section is pressed open in a strong vice and the handle area is then pressed together and then covered with a piece of soft hose. If you use a hacksaw to cut the grooves into the blade before sharpening you can even create a fairly good "sawing" edge for dealing with roots. Total cost.....hey, it's scrap metal!

Attachments

• scan0038a.jpg
    scan0038a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 494

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Mighty AP said:
Quote by CryptoDave......
Yeah, that might be totally fine with you that have been graced by him to send you one, but since the rest of use are scum, we are discussing ones that are readily available.
Thanks.

You know Dave, these things take about 3 hours of labor to make & lets not even mention the cost in materials, gas, rod, electricity, etc. I spend my lunch hours & breaks making them every damn day & give them away to appreciative members of this forum, I dont even charge shipping. No one is scum here, if I could make one for every single member I would do it without hesitation! I have a waiting list a mile long, its hard keeping all the requests straight & I appologize if you have been overlooked but please understand that i am completely overwhelmed. I dont stamp them out on a machine, they are hand made & each one is unique & different from the last, quality takes time. Once again I appologize & hope there arent any ill feelings toward me by you or any other members. :)

MightyAP

Hey MightyAP

I have machine shop tools and an arc welder, I can weld pretty good. I was thinking about making a digger for myself but if you are overwhelmed I can help a little in my spare time. They only thing i would need is a little info on what materials you use and some dimensions.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think MightyAP is making them anymore. He has had some family problems and is just now coming back. Everyone has been pulling for thim and I think he's gonna' come out fine. Really glad to see him back on the forum. He's a super guy. Monty

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the lesche, i lost mine 2 weeks ago looking for Nashes hunting camp{the auto maker} found the camp but the lesche didnt make it back it it was a pretty good treck through the woods

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread