Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I just saw an ad on TV about Spot .
They implied good things like GPS location transmitting and a Nextel type comm system.
No price given, but it may work.

Charlie P - some vhf radios can go much farther than 6 miles. Depends on power and antenna.
And line-of-sight is not exactly true although it does affect signal.
I can talk to the "Repeater" on Mt. Hood from 80 miles and a fairly large hill, maybe 500', in the way with 5 watts on a handheld radio on 147.12 Mhz. And through that to hundreds of miles away as well as to emergency folks.
This is ham radio so you need a license and cannot do business on it and you can also chat with folks on the telephone.
There are even links on some repeaters to the internet for chatting or emergency uses and to other hams.
Down in canyons where your vertical sky sight is less than 90 degrees you need geosynchronous satellites.
Yes, hams have over a dozen of them up there too but I have never used them.
Moon bounce of signals is neat too but we are talking about regular folks in the outback areas of the world.
Sorry to digress, but I love ham radio. ;D

Many places in the USA where cell phones do not work, and they use power trying to find a signal.
I want to check out this "Spot" system and see what it is about. It may be the best for regular folks.
Anyone used this thing?

Grey

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
Being a ham radio operator myself I love the 2 meter band it's vhf witch is line of sight so when in a remote area you really need to hook up to a repeater to give you distence but the best thing when going into a remote area alone is to tell a family member where and about when you will be back it just might save your life.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
YES, tell someone where you are going.
And leave a note in your vehicle.

"Line-of Site" means to me what I can see.
Most VHF radios go much further.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread