Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to you all. :hello:

On the 1. of January I did an amazing find, :headbang:
A find most detectorists will never get.

I found an early viking age sword! As soon as i realized what it was i carefully put it back in the hole and covered it back up.
Then I called my "state Archeologist" and told him about my find. He was very thrilled.

Today he came to excavate my find. (Third of January)
(You see, In Norway, all finds dating from before 1537 is automaticly protected by law)
And as he dug we found a complete sword (broken in 5 pices), 1 battle-ax and a scythe.
Even thou the person that was buried there is dissolved and not to be found, It is still most definetly a grave.

After he had removed the Items I checked the grave with my detector and there was still two pices left.
But they will be staying in the ground untill the summer. Then it will be a bigger excavation, as it might be more than one grave there.

Hope you like what I show you, and tell me if you want more pictures. EDIT; Check out page 5 for a lot more pics from the excavation
sverd ctx.jpg øks.jpg sverd pakket.jpg øks og ljå.jpg øks2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 77

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard what I said about bone decomposition, again I'm wrong... :BangHead: damn Google search, SHOW ME THE TRUTH !! More research shows in dry conditions bones can last forever, in wet conditions bones don't do so well...... Only lasting a few decades or a century or so... So your right, the bones could be long decayed. Sorry I'm such a bad Google browser... :dontknow:

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fingers crossed for finding a few bits of bone.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Tread lightly, It could be one of my relatives:happysmiley:

Congrats. The find of a lifetime.

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a real treat to see, now I need to find the Vikings of Kansas. Very nice find

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are a top notch kind of guy,way to go.can not wait for the update.thanks for sharing:notworthy:

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way to do all the correct things,signs of bones would be present but in your climate just white colored soil in place of solid bone.Your karma should be at a high level for a good while!congrats to u sir!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing find congratulations

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely an outstanding find, and sir, you are of outstanding character, a wonderful example of honesty. Please, when they come back and dig, take lots of pictures to share with us. My grandfather was one of those 800,000 thousand immigrants from Norway, only he came around the turn of the century. Most of the family settled in Minnesota, but he brought his wife to Los Angeles and settled there, at least for awhile, so I was raised on the west coast, and know nothing of my ancestors or family in Minnesota. I've been told they came from Bregen in the beginning.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding HISTORICAL piece!!! Congratulations on finding it and making the BANNER! Way to go! :icon_thumright:

:)
Breezie

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great find! As a native Icelander, I have dreamt of finds like yours! I recently watched a Netflix documentary on the re-creation of an 'Ulfberth' Viking sword. Such detailed craftsmanship was used back then. The quality of steel did not meet modern standards, and it is simply amazing that the sword you have found has not completely decomposed. The Ulfberth (200 known specimens), were constructed of a steel that was forged under higher heat than most were back in the age of the sagas, and in return, tend to stay whole for longer periods of time without fully decomposing. Hence my question, is it an Ulfberth? Might be worth looking into. Congratulations!:icon_thumleft:
EDIT: ULFBERT, not Ulfberth. My mistake.
En stor finner! Som en innfødt islending, har jeg drømt om funn som din! Jeg har nylig sett en Netflix dokumentar om re-etablering av en "Ulfberth 'Viking sverd. Slike detaljerte håndverket ble brukt den gangen. Kvaliteten av stål oppfyller ikke moderne standard, og det er rett og slett utrolig at sverdet du har funnet ikke er helt nedbrutt. Den Ulfberth (200 kjente eksemplarer), ble bygget av et stål som ble smidd under høyere varme enn de fleste var tilbake i en alder av sagaene, og i retur, har en tendens til å bli helt for lengre perioder av gangen uten helt å rotne. Derav spørsmålet mitt, er det en Ulfberth? Kan være verdt å se nærmere på. Gratulerer!
EDIT: ULFBERT, ikke Ulfberth. Min feil.

Last edited:

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If i found that i would also say it was 1538 :P Very very very cool!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great Find! Congrats!:hello2::hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo showing me and the archeologist, And the find. Im the one with the "fox" on my head and a coffee in my hand.
9cdp.jpg

The Archologists could not stay away so they are coming back tomorrow to excavate some more goodies!

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So excited! By the way, curious about the fencing - was it put up to protect the site or was it already there before you found the grave?

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bard, I am just curious do you get any sort of insensitive for this recovery and being honest?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions