Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to you all. :hello:

On the 1. of January I did an amazing find, :headbang:
A find most detectorists will never get.

I found an early viking age sword! As soon as i realized what it was i carefully put it back in the hole and covered it back up.
Then I called my "state Archeologist" and told him about my find. He was very thrilled.

Today he came to excavate my find. (Third of January)
(You see, In Norway, all finds dating from before 1537 is automaticly protected by law)
And as he dug we found a complete sword (broken in 5 pices), 1 battle-ax and a scythe.
Even thou the person that was buried there is dissolved and not to be found, It is still most definetly a grave.

After he had removed the Items I checked the grave with my detector and there was still two pices left.
But they will be staying in the ground untill the summer. Then it will be a bigger excavation, as it might be more than one grave there.

Hope you like what I show you, and tell me if you want more pictures. EDIT; Check out page 5 for a lot more pics from the excavation
sverd ctx.jpg øks.jpg sverd pakket.jpg øks og ljå.jpg øks2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 77

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap that's absolutley amazing

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I wonder how long ago that bad to the bone dude stompped the terra.

What a fantastic find, well done!

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gratulerer from an American cousin!

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but I hope you can enjoy this find.
I know there are a lot of Americans that have Norwegian ancestors. You know 800 000 Norwegians moved to USA in the 1800's to live the "American dream".

Mine came in the early 1910s from Arendal, Aust-Agder, Norway. I, for some reason can't see your pictures but just hearing about it is amazing

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine came in the early 1910s from Arendal, Aust-Agder, Norway. I, for some reason can't see your pictures but just hearing about it is amazing

Some of them founded Norge, Virginia a place where the Norwegian flag is still flown.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very interesting most of my relatives came to new jersey and the out to the Midwest

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Great work and I admire your responsible way of handling a historically significant find.
Congrats on the banner.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bard, You restore my faith in humans after calling in the right ones to "handle" the excavation ect.HH.....

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
When you bring the officials in on a find, do they determine the value of it and offer up a reward

OP
OP
Bard Gauden

Bard Gauden

Nov 16, 2012
Stavanger
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you bring the officials in on a find, do they determine the value of it and offer up a reward
In Norway all objects and sites older than 1537 is protected by law and are to be considered as property of the government.
When It comes to finders fee, the rules are a bit strange. They can give me a reward if they want to.
For gold and silver objects It is more normal to get a reward than for iron and copper objects.

As for me I don't expect to get a reward, of course I hope to get something. We just have to wait and see, the process can take years.
Anyway It was a sweet reward to get to take a part in the excavation, and to get lots of congratulations and good words from archaeologists and all you people.

Little update about the find itself;
I talked with the museum last week to ask if they had started the preservation of the objects.
-But they said they hadn't had any time yet, but hoped to get to it in a few months.

Western Sky Ranch

Jan 12, 2013
Norco, CA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find, a fricken sword? Amazing, bout time for a Skyrim Bard Rap!

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...So we tanned 'is hide when he died, Clyde, an' that's it hangin' on the shed!!!!!!....

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Baurd; CONGRATS. That is Awesome. I appreciate you doing the right thing in this case. Your a shining example of what it means to be a real Treasure Hunter / Metal Detectorist. I vote Banner AND Honorable Mentions.
PEACE:RONB :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions