Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used Minelab SE a couple weeks ago and I've already noticed that I'm finding deeper targets that I was with my other machines. Surprisingly, I haven't really been finding a lot of clad as I expected. That's totally fine but just strange to me I guess. What I have been finding the past few hunts is a lot of pull-tabs and can slaw which is totally on me because I know this will be an awesome machine once I learn it. I wasn't planning on going out today but I did anyway. After 20 minutes of digging a few pull-tabs and junk at a park, I hit a pretty "crappy" signal about 6" down and jumping all over the place. I told myself that if it was junk, I was heading home to study the machine more. Well, after digging a little further down than the plug I pulled out this baby. It took a second to register what I had in my hand but it soon put a smile on my face.

I rinsed it off with water and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner for 5-6 cycles. I knew it was sterling but now I see a hallmark as well which I haven't researched. Anyone know what the hallmark is? Also, anyone know the approximate age? Is this just called a "chainmail coin purse'?

This is definitely the coolest thing I've found so far this year. 8-) Thanks for looking...

coin purse dirt.jpg coin purse hand.jpg
purse2.jpg purse3.jpg
purse5.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montauk

Sep 2, 2006
Your mesh purse is unusual because its sterling & for being so small that it fits in the palm of your hand.
I think your purse may have been part of a ladies chatelaine. A simple definition for Chatelaine; "An
ornamental hook, or brooch worn by a lady at her waist, and having a short chain or chains attached for
a watch, keys, trinkets, etc."
Chatelaine initially had a practical use but evolved into a jewelry type accessory in the Victorian / Edwardian eras.
Victorian Chatelaine w/ 5 Attachments, Purse (item #195201)
Antique Art Nouveau Chatelaine Purse Dance Card Pencil
Google Image search & eBay search "chatelaine" & "chatelaine purse". A lot comes up.
I have no clue about the hallmark.

Art%20Nouveau%20chatelaine7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research Montauk!

I think that makes more sense than a coin purse due to the size. I did find it in a wealthy neighborhood as well. The first thing I noticed about the photo you posted and the majority that I found via Google was that there were 2 points at which the chain attached to the chatelaine and mine only had 1. I did however start finding more that had only a single point where the chain would attach. perhaps if there were 2 points on this one she wouldn't have lost it.

"Sterling silver mesh chatelaine" I think that sounds much better.

Now the hallmark.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey WIT, very, very nice Sterling Victorian Mesh Purse (also know as 'chain mail'.) To determine where it is part of a Chatelaine or a single purse, we need the measurements. Many of the ladies Vic. Mesh Purses ran from 4 inches to 6 inches from top to bottom, not including the chain. If it is smaller like 1 or 2 inches, it could have come on a Chatelaine. Also, you need to look to see if there are larger connecting holes for a purse or smaller holes for a Chatelaine. Judging by the pics, I'd say it's a larger connecting ring. Here is a site with a 3" purse:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/9286276...n-mail-victorian?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_includes[]=materials&ga_search_query=antique+purse+chain&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
At any rate, it's a fabulous find. :) Breezie

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie, here's the photo with measurements included which is approximately 3" long x 1 1/2" wide so it's pretty small. The only place for a chain to connect with it is the one place at the top as seen in the photo. When I first learned what a Chatelaine was earlier in this thread I thought that this may not be part of one because there wasn't a connecting ring on both sides like there is on most but I now realize that some only connect in the middle.

purse measurements.jpg

[not sure why it got blurry.. the measurements are 1 1/2" x 3"]

Thanks for the post, Breezie. I'm still puzzled on the hallmark so I may post it in the "what is it?" forum as well to get some more eyes on it.

Last edited:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Now that's a very cool find, Congrats!!!

TommNJ

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have admired the chain purses that I have seen before. Lyman county museum in South Dakota has three purses. And a museum here in Washington state has one that looks to be the same size as yours. Cool piece of museum quality history, hope you find out where it was made.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have admired the chain purses that I have seen before. Lyman county museum in South Dakota has three purses. And a museum here in Washington state has one that looks to be the same size as yours. Cool piece of museum quality history, hope you find out where it was made.

Thanks for the comment. The hallmark will indeed be fresh in my mind until I find out exactly what it is. I can't help but wonder about the person who lost it either and how for that matter. The area was either wooded and people hunted there at one point or possibly trap shooting because I've found quite a bit of .12 gauge shotgun shell remnants. I'm anxious to see what the future brings as well.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NOLA, that's the first site that comes up in a google search and I've been there a few times. I'm still searching

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice find WIT. Yesterday I spent some time looking at maker marks and nothing.
roger

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Roger, still a puzzle.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say banner also- I cant believe the condition- Nothing interesting inside or around the area? Any guesses why it was there?

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say banner also- I cant believe the condition- Nothing interesting inside or around the area? Any guesses why it was there?

Thanks Bev,

I've hunted the area with 3 different machines over the past 3 years. I hadn't been hunting it too often this year but that has changed. I've found a variety of items there.

gold rings
silver rings
"V" nickel
old transit token
1934 dog tag
various bullet lead and shotgun shell metal
+ various other items
I'm very surprised at the lack of wheat pennies. In fact, over the last 3 years I don't recall taking a single one from this sight. :dontknow:

It's apparent to me that this piece truly is part of a chatelaine. As to how it got there? I have reason to believe there was quite a bit of activity in this area so it could have been lost any number of ways. I've been back there on a daily basis for the past 2 weeks but this piece has been the most significant find so far. Some day I will figure out the hallmark.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a cool find in anyones book. HH

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Very nice find! Did you post it in the "What is it Forum", to see if any of the mystery solvers there could help you with the hallmark ID?

HH,
CD

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie, here's the photo with measurements included which is approximately 3" long x 1 1/2" wide so it's pretty small. The only place for a chain to connect with it is the one place at the top as seen in the photo. When I first learned what a Chatelaine was earlier in this thread I thought that this may not be part of one because there wasn't a connecting ring on both sides like there is on most but I now realize that some only connect in the middle.

View attachment 630652

[not sure why it got blurry.. the measurements are 1 1/2" x 3"]

Thanks for the post, Breezie. I'm still puzzled on the hallmark so I may post it in the "what is it?" forum as well to get some more eyes on it.

Yes, judging by the size, I'd say purse, and it's a SUPER nice one too; actually, better than some of the non-dug ones I've seen. It should clean-up nicely since it is Sterling. I'm looking forward to seeing pics after it is cleaned. You might want to get an estimate from a jeweler and have it professionally cleaned. Again, great find, Breezie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug brass ones like that (partial), but I've never seen a silver one posted. GREAT find!

-Buck

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay. I am crying foul. A coin pile makes banner after 24 hours and this work of art does not? Something stinks here...... :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread