Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used Minelab SE a couple weeks ago and I've already noticed that I'm finding deeper targets that I was with my other machines. Surprisingly, I haven't really been finding a lot of clad as I expected. That's totally fine but just strange to me I guess. What I have been finding the past few hunts is a lot of pull-tabs and can slaw which is totally on me because I know this will be an awesome machine once I learn it. I wasn't planning on going out today but I did anyway. After 20 minutes of digging a few pull-tabs and junk at a park, I hit a pretty "crappy" signal about 6" down and jumping all over the place. I told myself that if it was junk, I was heading home to study the machine more. Well, after digging a little further down than the plug I pulled out this baby. It took a second to register what I had in my hand but it soon put a smile on my face.

I rinsed it off with water and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner for 5-6 cycles. I knew it was sterling but now I see a hallmark as well which I haven't researched. Anyone know what the hallmark is? Also, anyone know the approximate age? Is this just called a "chainmail coin purse'?

This is definitely the coolest thing I've found so far this year. 8-) Thanks for looking...

coin purse dirt.jpg coin purse hand.jpg
purse2.jpg purse3.jpg
purse5.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Did you post it in the "What is it Forum", to see if any of the mystery solvers there could help you with the hallmark ID?

HH,
CD

Yes, I posted it in that forum as well but received only a link to the most common site for silver hallmarks that I've been to already so I'm still searching.

Yes, judging by the size, I'd say purse, and it's a SUPER nice one too; actually, better than some of the non-dug ones I've seen. It should clean-up nicely since it is Sterling. I'm looking forward to seeing pics after it is cleaned. You might want to get an estimate from a jeweler and have it professionally cleaned. Again, great find, Breezie

Thanks Breezie, I really should bring it to a jeweler very soon to have it cleaned. I bet it'll look real nice after that!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. I am crying foul. A coin pile makes banner after 24 hours and this work of art does not? Something stinks here...... :BangHead:

I don't know. No "WOW" factor?

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the damned thing looks like it's in tact........don't know halmarks, but excellent find

DarkHorse9825

Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mean to hijack this post, but my mother-in-law has a similar coin purse she got from her great grandmother. It came from Belgium in the 1800's. It is sterling silver and in flawless condition. If I were top post pics would any of you fine people be able to narrow down where it came from and a possible price?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everyone likes this. Who wouldn't.

I can see why it would be junky signal, about the same as a gob of wire, it definitely pays to dig junk, at least some times.

Very cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions