Best online research site??

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Hey fellas I'm in need of some of your vast knowledge here please. I need to find a name and where he owned land back in the late 1800's. What web site has provided you with the best info for this type of searching. Thanks guys for your help and opinions. NVRADAR :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I will elaborate a bit... The man I'm seeking is suppose to have buried $7,000 in gold and silver coins.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Do you have the land area determined to be in a particular city, county, or state? That should give some idea if city, county, or state records would be best, or perhaps a rural town hall? There are all kinds of historical societies, property records in old countyn platbooks, genealogy sites. Older residents may know of mans relatives. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks George
The town is very rural, I know the family name is there but haven't been able to locate this particular individual with the way I have been searching so was curious to find out if these family history sites are worth the money and if they even go back that far in time. Thanks again.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Your best bet would be the county courthouse where the property is located. Most of them have maps and records that are not available online. Good luck,

Charlie

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thats a hard one to do as it is a full days drive away... with the work schedule and all. Kinda why I wanted to see what online results could bring first. If going there physically tells me what I must know it would be SOOOO worth it. Thanks Charlie

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd call the country recorder's office and ask them for their assistance; they may refer you to a website or do the search for you; especially if the county is quite 'rural' in nature.
Don.......

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
I'd call the country recorder's office and ask them for their assistance; they may refer you to a website or do the search for you; especially if the county is quite 'rural' in nature.
Don.......
I agree with the "rural" part, one or the other (taking the trip) will give you what you need for sure. Do a google search for the county archives and see what it says. I think you may be in for a day trip.

Here is an example- http://co.monmouth.nj.us/page.aspx?ID=126

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks again guys I will try the easy way first and if no luck I'll have to jump in the truck and go for a day trip. :read2:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you know the name then you could try ancestry.com and search their records. At least you can get the township and county where he lived. You can do the free trial thing. For maps you could try historicmapworks.com Here's the link for Nevada if that's where you're looking: http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/Nevada/ . Not sure how much help they will be as they look like sanborn maps without the property owners names.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks Swartzie I bookmarked that site, lots of info there for sure. I will try the ancestry site. Thanks a bunch.

Newsman, I don't think anyone from the late 1800's would be alive :dontknow:, never know though.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Thing I do when I do research is go to Bing.com used there aerial photos of the area they area extremely Clear and everything is so visable. Get a idea of what the area now looks like compared to what it used to be. Its heartbreaking to start researching and when you check to see what the area looks like now you end up finding a Walmart, Home Depot or a Town houses. Researching is the hardest part of the hobby.

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Blackbeard that is usually my luck! :BangHead: I have used bing before looking for new hydraulic pits in Cali, they are pretty good pics! Thanks.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nvradar said:
Hey fellas I'm in need of some of your vast knowledge here please. I need to find a name and where he owned land back in the late 1800's. What web site has provided you with the best info for this type of searching. Thanks guys for your help and opinions. NVRADAR :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I will elaborate a bit... The man I'm seeking is suppose to have buried $7,000 in gold and silver coins.

I'm a surveyor, do this all the time.

Two places to get this info:
1: Old plat books/maps. These are sometimes online, results are spotty and thin. Maybe you can get someone in a historical society to look for you. If they find it. Paypal them some money.
2: Recorders Office in the county seat. I'd be shocked if they're online. They're also a PITA to search for non-pros, but the records are pretty complete. You'll spend some time. The down side is that they're not usually indexed by location, called a tract index, so you may have to look up every deed; you better hope the guy didn't own a lot of parcels.

Good luck.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nvradar... If you go the the online county website and take a little time doing some research there are a lot of records you can view right online. I do it all the time with mining claims and have done it that way in practically every county in Nevada.

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I have done that but they don't seem to have what I need online . Some things go back to the 1800s and some thing don't. I will definitely keep trying to find his name in all locations. Thanks for the advice bud. NVRADAR

dnuggett

Greenie
Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title search may be your best bet. Figure out the earliest owner of the land, going back to the original land grant if need be and work forward. That'll take some of your personal time but will be minimal expense. Another option would be to hire a title search company. Minimal personal time but could be expensive.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been scanning my map collection for a few years and have a bunch of old maps on-line, maybe you'll find something you can use. A lot of the maps have property owner's names, old claims locations, etc.
-Vinny
http://menotomymaps.com/

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I will tell you how to get it. I spent a couple of months with a partner trying to find a farm cache location with no luck. Than I saw an ad by a surveyor. I sent him an e mail with the name of the person and the area. I told him I just wanted to find the farm location. It cost me $70 and I had the location of the farm, last owner of record, address of last owner" he didn't live on property", and a plat showing the property and surrounding properties Complete with copies of all deeds from present owner to owner I was searching for. If I find that cache, that cost won't even be something to consider.
The thing is ,old plats use different measurements and Face it, how many people know what a pearch is, I think it is 15.5 '. They start at roads that have changed names like the old post road from x to z, and sometimes that road doesn't exist any more. The surveyor is use to working with the area oddities in plat descriptions. Frank PS. He found it in 2 days.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like beating a dead horse. Either go to the county and do a records search which you pay for or get a surveyor out there which you pay for. This isn't rocket science cause if it was boy there would be a lot of crashed rockets on this site. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread